Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default H&K USP 45 VS SA XD 45Gap

Now alot of you might have clicked on this thinking that im probably retarted and that OBVIOUSLY the H&K wins without a doubt.... and your right for once in your life BUT!! I would say in all honesty and fairness that my Springfield armory XD 45 GAP in 5 inch performed VERY well in comparison.

I began by firing 6 shots of 230 grain FMJ out of the USP without fail at a 5 inch target about 25 yards away or so in 11 degree weather with 35 MPH gusts all day. not one hit (shitty shooting on my part). I then sat down the USP and picked up the XD with a 9 round mag fired the first three shots and a almost dead center hit with one of them the next 6 followed with 1 or possibly 2 more hits. Not bad for the first time I've ever EVEN FIRED THIS WEAPON. but taking into consideration of me praticing my draw and aiming of my firearm as oppose to my friends USP 45 that I've only seen once I would say that's not bad.

All in all the USP fired BEAUTIFULLY but then agian, it also carrries atleast a $800 price tag, it better had. I paid around $370 out the door for my SA with two mags the case and all. Now onto other things.

The USP's action was flawless I don't know how many have had a chance to ever fire one of these.. Do so. you won't regret it. It was nearly impossible to feel anything more than recoil after the trigger was pulled.. not the slightest bit of action (no clanging, sound of metal moving) just amazing. But with a decent set or earplugs in. it was what you would expect a 45 acp 230 gr to sound like. The springfeild armory Was atleast comparable in sound level to a 9 maybe a 40 or in between. also the recoil didn't feel much different from the USP this may not sound like much but you figure this is from a smaller pistol brass firing the same size bullet with better (in cases) baliastics rating and in a weapon that cost $400-$500 less. both with 5 inch barrels or comparable (the h&k's in 5.02) I was really impressed. I could feel a alittle bit of the slide hitting the back and coming forward..a slight bit, but nothing unordinary.

Both Pistols fired and cycled fine which doesn't surprise anyone knowing either of those companies track-records. The USP although "felt" lighter it actually isn't being just on the fact that it holds 12 acp instead of my 9 gap. it almost felt bulky in my hands when firing and although it is hammered I didn't care much for this on this pistol. I mean Im no navy seal or anything but honestly unless you need to put a silencer (hince the tapped barrel) on your pistol or fire it underwater u really don't need this.. but then agian. to each their own. My XD has an acessories rail (weaver/pictanny) and the usp lacked the Pic rail on the underside which threw me for a loop coming from a gun that helps reduce recoil but having a pressure vacum seal on the barrel when it's fired. My XD also has the feed ramp assist the usp does not.
    IN all in all I had fired my other friend's XD 40 service hundreds of times (which is what help me buy mine) I really just liked the feel of the grip on mine better (it's just a shade thinner than the usp but in my hands and noticable difference) then agian it bring me to this point. The USP is double stack, the XD is not which I acutally prefer less stuff to get jammed up. but that's just me.

As far as the XD I fired very smoothly and acuracty I felt I was able to put my sights back on target quicker than with the usp. The XD was just alot of fun to fire i put about 50 rounds or so through it without fail whatsoever. I OC this with me everywhere. I am very pleased with it and I now understand why State Police moved to the 45GAP round. it's smaller, lighter, and quieter, and less recoil. so if anyone has questions or whatnot please don't be afriad to ask. It took a LONG time of debate to if I wanted a 45gap pistol being it a new round.. but honestly. im impressed.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: H&K USP 45 VS SA XD 45Gap

WHERE DID YOU FIND THE XD FOR $370 OTD?????????
    I assume it was used???

(Lehigh County)

Yes it was used, At the Army and Navy in Whitehall, it was originally $416 but no joke for some reason this day they had 20% off so it was like $361 I believe, this is anoter reason why I couldn't pass up getting it. I loved my friends xd40 cal service so I figured why not try this out. But yeah. that's where. No luck finding any ammo near by though.. If anyone knows where to get 45GAP in allentown without going online.... LET ME KNOW PLEASE!?

(Montgomery County)

The .45 GAP is not really anything other than a shortened .45 ACP.

The OAL for the .45 ACP is 1.26 inches and operates at about 21,000 PSI
    Performance: 230 grain bullet at 830 fps makes 352 ft lbs.
    185 grain bullet at 1075 fps makes 475 ft lbs.

The OAL for the .45 GAP is 1.07 inches and operates up to 23,000 PSI
    Performance: 230 grain bullet at 940 fps makes 451 ft lbs
    185 grain bullet at 1150 fps makes 543 ft lbs

As you can see, the .45 GAP has a very slight velocity edge over the .45 ACP and this comes at higher pressure. Therefore the .45 GAP is louder and has more recoil then the .45 ACP.

Your observations about less recoil and noise are not correct. However, because you did not use two identical pistols in different calibers, your perception is most likely influenced by the pistol, not the chambering.

As far as I am concerned, the .45 GAP serves no purpose at all other then to put .45 ACP performance in a pistol with a shorter frame. However, .40 S&W has been doing this since the 1990's. I would not hold my breath for the .45 GAP to be around for very long.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lehigh County)

This may be but not shortly after firing all 40-45 rounds or so through my XD I picked up a G17 and what was left of a 31 round mag I emptied. I honestly couldn't tell to big a difference in firing the glock to my XD except for the obviouse noise. Also, im no gun expert but, i've fired numerous 1911's kimbers, colt's, s&w's, 40 cal sig's, s&w,s ruger's beretta's, what-not i've been shooting a while and I would honestly say that you just need to fire a pistol chambered for it and you'll understand a little more what I mean. the noise was very comparable to my friends sig 229 .40 aswell as the recoil so what my original point was that How much when firing the pistol itself do you notice it doesn't feel like a .45 at all. Also it's not like you can just shave down ACP brass and think your going to throw it in a GAP barrel. that WILL NOT WORK. the cartridge itself is thicker and uses a smaller primer maybe more pressure to propell the large round farther or as far as the ACP but ina small more managable size. Hince the 45 GAP. No although SA stopped production on the pistols themselves glock still offers 3 models chambered for it and like I said it must be doing something right if 4 different State police agienies picked it up. But that's just me once agian I am no gun expert or anything of the sort. and it was 11 degree's outside with wind all crazy trust me it wasn't exactly fun nor was i able to take the time to really Place my shots well or anything it was more or less just a quick compare. ok for instance my H&R 12 gauge is laying on a bench at the range loaded waiting for me to shoot it... the wind damn near blows it off the table. so the wind wasn't in my favor this day at all. but I hope everyone just knows the first thread was only my OPINION. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gumbys1up View Post
    This may be but not shortly after firing all 40-45 rounds or so through my XD I picked up a G17 and what was left of a 31 round mag I emptied. I honestly couldn't tell to big a difference in firing the glock to my XD except for the obviouse noise. Also, im no gun expert but, i've fired numerous 1911's kimbers, colt's, s&w's, 40 cal sig's, s&w,s ruger's beretta's, what-not i've been shooting a while and I would honestly say that you just need to fire a pistol chambered for it and you'll understand a little more what I mean. the noise was very comparable to my friends sig 229 .40 aswell as the recoil so what my original point was that How much when firing the pistol itself do you notice it doesn't feel like a .45 at all. Also it's not like you can just shave down ACP brass and think your going to throw it in a GAP barrel. that WILL NOT WORK. the cartridge itself is thicker and uses a smaller primer maybe more pressure to propell the large round farther or as far as the ACP but ina small more managable size. Hince the 45 GAP. No al models chambered for it and like I said it must be doing something right if 4 different State police agienies picked it up. But that's just me once agian I am no gun expert or anything of the sort. and it was 11 degree's outside with wind all crazy trust me it wasn't exactly fun nor was i able to take the time to really Place my shots well or anything it was more or less just a quick compare. ok for instance my H&R 12 gauge is laying on a bench at the range loaded waiting for me to shoot it... the wind damn near blows it off the table. so the wind wasn't in my favor this day at all. but I hope everyone just knows the first thread was only my OPINION. thanks
    I thought all the XD's were double stack. Springfield has the 5" tactical 45 GAP listed as 9+1 rounds capacity. That seems like an unusual choice. It's on the high side for a single stack mag, but pretty low as far as most polymer framed pistols go. Can you post a pic of your single stack XD and the magazine? Just curious about it. Also, for future reference, I found that Springfield (according to their web site) does still offer 2 models, a 4" service, and a 5" tactical in 45 GAP.

As a side note, you must have been shooting next to a tornado if your shottie almost blew off the bench. Last year I was at a range for safety and defensive training. A chopper landed about 75 feet from the bench where all of our gear was while we were taking a break (Long story as to why it landed right there). Everything on the bench from empty shotgun and pistol cases, to half empty ammo cartons blew off the table. There were also two shotuns on the table at that time but neither one moved at all. If that chopper didn't blow the shotguns away, the only other thing I could think of would be a tornado. That's pretty hard core to want to be out shooting pistols when there's a tornado swirling around right next to you.

(Lehigh County)

yeah this is my mag loaded sitting next to a regualr Bic for comparison purposes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gumbys1up; January 10th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Sorry I forgot the gun in the pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Monroe County)

weird.. doesn't the XD 45acp hold 13+1?

the GAP should hold even more...
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Lehigh County)

Well yes you would think that it would but let me remind everyone. The Gap came out BEFORE the Acp on the XD platform. Also, the gap is designed on a nine or .40 cal frame as oppose to a whole new design for the XD45acp which is a DOUBLE stack mag that holds 13 where as, here is a same size round just in a smaller and newer casing. Now personally I can tell a difference in grip size from my Gap to the Acp. Springfield claims there really isn't much a diff either. But honestly you have to be holding the GAP in one hand and then the ACP in the other to really feel it. But honestly I prefer a single stack magazine. like I said. Less shit to get hung-up or possibly go wrong. The less movement the better But I think in width from the frontstrap to the back it just "feels" different to me. trust me I honestly stood in the store a # of times holding both b4 after a couple day shoot-out (no pun intented) I decided on the Gap. I don't need 13 or 27 or 85 rounds in a magazine. Yes I enjoy the more bullets just like the next guy, But I don't plan on missing Practice makes perfect.

And I wanted to try the new round. Everyone one and their mother,my self included, has something that fires the 45ACP. it's like unamerican not to. So I justed wanted to spread my wings. I haven't read anything bad about it yet.. Im praying JUST PRAYING to god that SA will somehow someway. (hey if they can do it with 45acp which is alot bigger) and fit that into a small frame pistol. Then I hope they Shock the world by offering the first 17 round 45gap the XDMGAP. I dont' see why they couldn't but I think that's why there not releasing anything more on the GAP really. I also liked the fact that more than one state police agience has changed over to the 45GAP over the 40S&W and honestly I think they are VERY compable as far in recoil. As I've said in other post My XD45gap feels just like my friends Sig229 .40cal. But lets hope for the best.