Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Carrying a knife

Can anyone inform me or point me in the right direction as to the legality/regulations on carrying a knife on one's person.

I usually carry a Columbia River Knife & Tool "M16" tanto blade but wasn't sure if there were any regulations on blade size in PA?
    Manus Haec Inimica Tyrannis

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Carrying a knife

Quote Originally Posted by HBGMarine View Post
    Can anyone inform me or point me in the right direction as to the legality/regulations on carrying a knife on one's person.

I usually carry a Columbia River Knife & Tool "M16" tanto blade but wasn't sure if there were any regulations on blade size in PA?
    No switchblades or daggers [double edge] however there MAY be local ordences. Phila is one place where a little swiss army knife would be verboten...

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by HBGMarine View Post

I have the same knife, I was told by Fed Police at Picatinny, I couldn't carry it so I switched to a Gerber of similar design with a shorter blade.

I too am interested in the legality for Pa....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Monroe County)

One advisory word: do NOT carry ANY knife into a school.

Pennsylvania - Pa. C.S.A. 18.908. Prohibited offensive
    weapons. (a) Offense defined.--A person commits a
    misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized
    by law, he makes, repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in,
    uses, or possesses any offensive weapon. (b) Exception.--
    It is a defense under this section for the defendant to
    prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed of
    dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic
    performance, or that he possessed it briefly in
    consequence of having found it or taken it from an
    aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any
    intent or likelihood that the would be used unlawfully.
    (c) Definition.--As used in this section "offensive
    weapon" means... any... dagger, knife, razor or cutting
    instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic
    way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or
    otherwise...
    - also see 24 P.S. 13-1317.2. re: students bringing weapons
    on to school property.]

Pennsylvania case law:
    Where opening knife required lock to be released, and
    once lock was released blade could be exposed by flip of
    wrist, knife did not have blade which could be "exposed in
    an automatic way"... by "otherwise" legislature referred
    to knives that were opened by some sort of mechanism which
    is not a "switch," "push-button," or "spring" mechanism
    but still a mechanism... (1979)

Very confusing, I know but that's how it's listed on "Knife Laws of the 50 States". I was told by a long time PSP member that just about any folder is fine, as is any sheathed knife on your belt, even a "14 inch bowie" as he described it. Balisongs or Butterfly knives are ok (reference Commonwealth vs. Miles). Daggers, double-edged blades, switchblades and spring loaded stilettos are a no-no. He also warned against kerambits. Use common sense.
    NRA Instructor/RSO
    C.A.R. Instructor
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Lackawanna County)

the sad truth is, since PA has no preemption laws regarding anything but firearms, laws regulating knives can vary from town to town. the laws are also highly ambiguous, probably intentioanlly so, giving cops, judges, lawyers plenty of freedom to 'interpret' laws to their liking.

basically what might be legal in Scranton might get you six months in Bristol.

the common advice is to avoid autos, double edged knives (daggers), and knives with knuckles on them. i carry two folders most of the time, one with a 2" blade, one with a longer blade. most cops in my town won't hassle me for them, as long as i'm not waving them around like a Shark or a Jet. i've seen some guys "open carrying" large fized blades in belt sheaths in town, as well.

(Adams County)

Mine is the M16-03z. I have never had any problems carrying it, but I keep it our of sight clipped inside my pocket so that the clip is the only visible part.

(Montgomery County)

i carry the exact same knife... used to carry an M16-14SFG, but it was a bit overkill.
    never had an issue.
    -Joe

I always have a Gerber Para II with the 3.5" blade with me. As well as a Gerber Para Multitool....They're both tools not a weapon.

Guns as well are tools for personal protection. We all know how Men love their tools
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    the sad truth is, since PA has no preemption laws regarding anything but firearms, laws regulating knives can vary from town to town. the laws are also highly ambiguous, probably intentioanlly so, giving cops, judges, lawyers plenty of freedom to 'interpret' laws to their liking.
    This statement is entirely TRUE in the same way as "disorderly" laws are written to the advantage of law enforcment and the courts. Interpreting laws always allows for more than one opinion, and yours may not match the LEO's or Judges.

The vagueness allows confiscation= disarming of people. While most won't use the courts for the return of their personal property when costs exceed value. They have just disarmed you to their advantage.

I find that most people can carry a suitable folding knife w/o problems as long as it is under 4", not law,...bigger knives like bigger guns scare people.

As was said, avoid carrying any blade of any size with 2 blades, this type is an easy trigger w/ LEO and is in the law clearly.

Steve

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post

basically what might be legal in Scranton might get you six months in Bristol.

the common advice is to avoid autos, double edged knives (daggers), and knives with knuckles on them. i carry two folders most of the time, one with a 2" blade, one with a longer blade. most cops in my town won't hassle me for them, as long as i'm not waving them around like a Shark or a Jet. i've seen some guys "open carrying" large fized blades in belt sheaths in town, as well.

Does it being "Assisted Opening" count as an auto? I've never really though about a pocket kinfe being a big deal. I just recently bought a Kershaw that is "assisted opening" they call it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast