Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Pocono Mountain - 8% property tax

Looks like they are guessing at increases already, don't they normally do this later on?

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...7/NEWS/1070323

Pocono Mountain proposes 8 percent tax increase for 2010-11 school

By DAN BERETT
    Pocono Record Writer
    January 07, 2010
    SWIFTWATER — Taxpayers in Pocono Mountain could be facing an 8 percent increase in property taxes for the 2010-11 school year, according to a proposed preliminary budget unveiled Wednesday.

The $198 million spending plan, which will go through several revisions before being formally adopted in June, represents a more than 4 percent hike in expenses over the previous year.

"There's no fluff in this budget whatsoever," said Henry Bockelman, the board's president. "It's a shame that we are where we are, but it's a sign of the times."

The increase that will be borne by local taxpayers is magnified by drop-offs in state and federal support compared to last year. The budget plan predicts a drop of more than $6 million from both federal and state governments. It's not known how much, if any, of that money eventually could be restored, district officials said.

The vast majority of the growth in costs comes from salary increases and jumps in benefits, especially to support pensions.

Pension contributions, which are set by the state, are projected to double in two years, and then triple the year after that.

"There is a pension crisis," Joseph Colozza, the district's business manager, said to the board during the session. "This is very, very scary."

The ground also has been set for possible layoffs, as enrollment continues to fall. Between October 2008 and 2009, the district lost more than 240 students in its buildings, according to its statistics.

On Wednesday, the board approved a measure that would allow for adjustments to staffing, including eliminating and reducing positions. It passed a similar measure last year before cutting about 20 teachers.

The spending plan also envisions cuts in field trips and supplies.

A group of students, members of high school color guard team, lobbied the board for help in paying for travel and fees to attend competitions. But several board members and the district's administration said, while they wanted to help, there simply was no money this year.

"What you saw here tonight we'll see here more and more," Colozza said. "There are limited financial resources, but there are programs and services you want to provide."

[/quote]
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Pocono Mountain - 8% property tax

They've lost hundreds of students and laid off dozens of teachers.

Can someone explain to me why they would need to raise taxes?

Hey color guard, raise the money yourself. Your program is NOT essential to education.

How about the school cuts back on superfluous bullshit and spends money on essential programs and supplies. They wouldn't need to increase the budget, that's for damn sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    They've lost hundreds of students and laid off dozens of teachers.

Can someone explain to me why they would need to raise taxes?

Hey color guard, raise the money yourself. Your program is NOT essential to education.

How about the school cuts back on superfluous bullshit and spends money on essential programs and supplies. They wouldn't need to increase the budget, that's for damn sure.
    Thank the unions - even though teachers are getting cut and projects slashed they still get a ton into their pensions towards retirement. Its a state level requirement.

so if less people are paying but the same bill is due then fewer people need to cough up more to pay the bill.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

delaware county's taxes are going up. ALL OF DELAWARE COUNTY. edit: it seems like the thing to do during a crisis.
    Last edited by bogey1; January 7th, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
    FJB

(Monroe County)

glad i rent and dont own a home yet.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by rovert97 View Post
    glad i rent and dont own a home yet.
    Oh, your paying - believe me.... your just not DIRECTLY seeing the bill!

(Monroe County)

8% ? THeyre kidding right? I dont mind the retirees and teachers making a decent salary, but what about these horrible , horrible "roads" we have here in the Poconos? I would nt mind my Tax dollars go to repairing the roads here.

8% , no wonder new building permits are down , the builders are feeling it and so does the carpenters, masons, brick layers and so on who rely on the building industry for a job.

(Monroe County)

That`s just the preliminary budget that the state requires the districts to submit. They now have to factor in state funding and start slashing. This is just the yearly song and dance that they do. My guess is PM`s increase will be half or less in the end.

Salaries are contractual, many mandates are unfunded. The big cost to schools hasn`t hit yet and that is the pension funding shortfall. That will hit in the next couple years. The only way to avoid that would be to grandfather all current employees into the current plan and put all new hires in a typical defined contribution plan of some sort.
    Last edited by Exbiker; February 3rd, 2010 at 06:33 AM.