Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: LTCF revisions for uniformity

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Bold is mine.

I am not trying to be smart, just clarification. I realize the entire application must be filled in along with the references.

Why is there a spot on the form to check renewal and on my license is checked renewal?
    It may be a "holdover" from an earlier time when there was a reason for it?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    It may be a "holdover" from an earlier time when there was a reason for it?

Like Pre-computer age...when it would take weeks to "run" a person's info. Probably why they are given 45 days..also a hold over...along with references...

(Allegheny County)

Personally, I see no reason for the "references" to be included at all. All that should be relevant is whether you are prohibited or not, not whether or not you can get two random people to say you're okay.
    "There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

(Wayne County)

So, after all is said and done, has anybody bothered to contact their reps? I doubt it.

Too many people just take what is forced upon them and say that they don't mind. How sad.

What I am trying to say is that references should not be necessary after the first time.

That character revocation line, in the code, is still another matter. If a sheriff says a license is revoked because he doesn't like your character, that's all the reason he has to give. Way back I asked for a writing campaign to address that issue with the same success as this issue. ZIP!

Some of my letters have been posted here, if anyone cares to check, but I've since stopped. After my last posting one member offered advice on how I could improve what I wrote. It was OK but he probably didn't follow it himself.
    Why, I sometimes wonder, should I bother my complaint or suggestion is the only one my rep might receive on an issue.

So, with all the back and forth banter, if you don't give your rep a paper storm of complaints he probably, and rightly so, doesn't think anyone cares.

Someone here talks of the soap box and the ballot box: letters to your rep serve both those venues.

(Mifflin County)

Nobody needs to contact their representatives on this matter. This law was enacted sometime ago and it is just now coming into being.

You paid for this upgrade to the license to carry system each and every time you renewed your license. You paid an additional $6.00 for your license for the last several years. This money was specifically earmarked for the upgrades.

Whats being done is;

The license to carry will be standardized in all 67 counties.
    All licenses will be identical.

This law should make the process easier for both the citizen and the Sheriff. A magnetic card reader will be installed in all sheriff's offices and using the citizens PA drivers license "fill" in the license to carry application.

This is a good thing for the citizen, if you ever have an encounter with law enforcement (especially outside your home county) the officer will be able to determine at a glance whether your license is legit or not. There will not be a need to detain you while they contact the PSP to determine if you are indeed a valid licensee.

Again, this is not a new law to somehow regulate you and your firearm.

I am sure you will be hearing more on this subject in the months to come. The upgrades are supposed to be complete statewide by July 2010.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by chriss044 View Post
    Nobody needs to contact their representatives on this matter. This law was enacted sometime ago and it is just now coming into being.

On this matter one misses the point. What I suggested was contacting your reps to address the two references requirement for license holders who have been residents of their respective counties for decades.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sgser View Post
    On this matter one misses the point. What I suggested was contacting your reps to address the two references requirement for license holders who have been residents of their respective counties for decades.
    That portion isn't part of the requirements in the UFA.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    That portion isn't part of the requirements in the UFA.
    SO WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES THAT MAKE !

(Dauphin County)

The only way to provide for LTCF uniformity is to repeal the statutes that provide for an LTCF, thereby making carry uniform with the provisions of the PA and US constitutions.

Link to another thread.

I apologize for posting a new thread. I didn't see this one until after I posted the other.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123