Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Any crossbow hunters?

I'm interested in buying a crossbow to use during the archery deer season next year. Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular brand or what I should look for? As always, any assistance is greatly appreciated!
    Manus Haec Inimica Tyrannis

(Chester County)

Default Re: Any crossbow hunters?

i was out this morning with a cheap-as-shit Eagle 180lb crossbow, and will head out again this evening. you can buy them at Dick's or Sports Authority online and ive already taken a 100lb (dressed) doe with mine this year. great first crossbow and suprisingly rugged given the cheap price

(Delaware County)

Buy an excalibur and don't look back. They are far superior in accuracy, performance, design, and easy maintenance. I started with a middle of the road compound crossbow and after two seasons with it and several issues I went with an excalibur recurve. I love it and shall forever profess it's greatness.

****I do still hunt with my compound bow a lot but for a specific area that happens to be very close to home I hunt with my xbow exclusively.

(Montgomery County)

I'll second the recommendation for an Excalibur crossbow. I've had mine for several years and shot several deer with it. It works great and is very accurate. I have the 200 lb. Exomag. Very simple to maintain and never goes out of tune. Escalibur customer service is also great.

(Allegheny County)

if your buying a crossbow, don't skimp on the quality. most guys will tell you to go with Excaliber, i will tell you to go with what you feel comfortable with.

i myself use a TenPoint Stealth, 180 pound draw with a built in hand crank since i have 2 bulging discs and i can't draw a regular compound bow. took a nice 8 point this year with it, the buck didn''t even know he was hit. he stood under my stand after i shot him and i watched him bleed out.

if you get the chance, shoot as many as you can before you buy. that is the best advice i can give you.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Luzerne County)

i have a horton 150lb with a red dot scope and cant speak a word of bad about it and the price was great its was only 200 which isnt too bad compared to some others. i have a barnett as well dont waste your money on one it wont hit the broad side of a barn to save its life.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the input everyone!

I was looking at a few of the Excalibur and Barnett crossbows. They were all about the same price and have close to the same draw weight. Next step is to see if I can shoot one somewhere. Someone told me there's an Archery Depot in my general area and I might be able to test shoot something there.

In regards to draw strength I've been told anything over 150lbs should be enough to bring down a deer at 40 yards. Can anyone confirm that?
    Manus Haec Inimica Tyrannis

(Delaware County)

150lbs is plenty with a well placed shot, just like any other weapon out there meant for killing deer or deer sized game.

(Montgomery County)

I bought my Excalibur at Kinsey Outdoors which is in your neck of the woods. They let me try it out on their indoor range and after a few shots I was sold. They salesman I worked with told me he would not recommend a Barnett Xbow. They sold them, but have had alot of them come back with problems. He also told me that they had a few Horton's come back but not nearly as many as Barnett, but never had any problems with the Excalibur's.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by HBGMarine View Post
    I'm interested in buying a crossbow to use during the archery deer season next year. Does anyone have any suggestions on a particular brand or what I should look for? As always, any assistance is greatly appreciated!
    Why do you want a crossbow?
    Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast