Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Holster

Default Good Holster

Any big men (heavy) out there that can suggest a good holster for a P95 large frame pistol that wont advertise Im carrying. BTW If youre gonna make smart ass remarks at least put in one constructive one with it. Thanks das
    [SIGPIC]

(York County)

Default Re: Good Holster

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    Any big men (heavy) out there that can suggest a good holster for a P95 large frame pistol that wont advertise Im carrying. BTW If youre gonna make smart ass remarks at least put in one constructive one with it. Thanks das

IWB or OWB? What is the barrel length? You could help us to help you, a little.

I carry a Springfield Armory XD45 Tactical full size, with 5" barrel. It holds 14 rounds of .45ACP. Is your P95 any larger? I'm betting not. I'm 6'3", 305lbs, whaddya wanna kno? I carry OWB, Open Carry, and for the life of me I can't catch anyone noticing the cannon on my hip. My first bit of advice is to look into leather pancake style holsters made by a reputable company of your choice, there are many. Whether you wish to carry IWB or OWB will make a difference in what folks can recommend to you.

IWB = Inside Waist Band (or Belt)
    OWB = Outside Waist Band (or Belt)
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by das View Post
    Bold added by me: Hopefully this will not be misconstrued as a smart a$$ remark - you will find (at least in my case) you will go through a couple or a few B4 you find the right one for you. The opinions of others did help BUT trial and error was what did it for me.

Also you may find that you will want/need different holsters for different ways you want/need to carry.

that wont advertise Im carrying.
    By this statement can I assume that you want to CC? When I CC'd I would always search on here and on the web using parameters such as "good concealment holster", "tuckable IWB holster", "deep concealment holster".......

Good luck - I love to research so the hunt is almost as fun as when you find the one that works best for your situation!

(Venango County)

As a fellow "large" man I feel your pain. Here is what I use.

In the winter when wearing jackets and bulkier clothing I usually carry OWB. I use the blackhawk serpa's when I OC and CC for the retention. I also use the http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=53 when retention isn't really needed. The comp-tac holsters are great, some of the heaviest kydex I've seen.

In the summer if I OC I stick with the serpa's. If I need to conceal it I use this. http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95

The Comp-Tac Minotaur works very well with all size guns. I use them for my XD-9SC all the way up to my full size 1911. I works well and is very comfy.

(Huntingdon County)

I traded into a P85 from a member here and he had an Aker holster.
    Being a bigger guy, I have used it a bunch of times so far and it conceals really well and is really really comfy.
    I think it is either a Hugger XL or a White Lightning - they are in the $50-$65 range.

(Monroe County)

My friend CC/OC's his P95 in an open top (I know I know) Desantis holster.
    The gun is heaavvvyy, so even with a quality holster, you're going to need a solid gun belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    What is the barrel length?
    P95 has a 4" barrel.

Back to the OP...

I'm in the same situation, so if you find what works for you let us know.

Only thing I will say is get a good belt, without a good belt (proper gun belt) even a good holster will "hang out".

Do you have the older (all steel) or new (polymer framed) P95? The new P95 with the rail is hard to find holsters for. Some holsters not advertised for the P95 will work (I've heard that the Fobus SP-11 works), and some holsters advertised for the P95 are for the old non-rail not the newer with rail. Check with the holster manufacturers too - a holster for a P345 may work with a P95 w/ rail. (e.g. the CrossBreed Supertuck for the P345 will fit the new P95)
    [IANAL]It's not about guns, its about effective self defense.

(Butler County)

Ahhh this is a tough one.

I have struggled myself, but have found the 3 more important factors to be:
    1. A pair of pants that are 1 size bigger to fit around the love handles area.
    2. A good solid gun belt
    3. Placing the holster in a spot around your midsection where the handle wont be pushed outwards (for me its about 4 o'clock.

As for holsters a summer special has worked well for me, as has a high noon tuckable. I have tried kydex, but the lack of give can press into the soft tissues more and cause discomfort. Also you probably want a holster that has a decent FBI cant on it so that the grip again doesn't have the leverage to push outwards. If you wear baggy shirts a tuckable holster works well as we heavier men tend to try to hide our bulges with bigger baggier shirts and it wont be noticed as much.

(Lancaster County)

www.kholster.com . i carry my 40sw and it is comfortable and concealable.
    No longer posting

(Centre County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/41...rd-thread.html

This is a thread which might help you. Pay It Forward might have someone in it that has a holster that you can "TRY" to see if it works. I did not look through it, but worth a try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast