Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Savage 340C

Default Savage 340C

Was looking at 1 today at my local shop, Excellent condition.
    Thinking a bolt action 30-30 my be coming home soon.....

10/22 went on lay-away today, also........

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Savage 340C

thats a great little gun. my dad has one and it was the first rifle i ever shot and man it is an accurate gun up to 100 yds. it will make a great deer rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by habuch View Post
    thats a great little gun. my dad has one and it was the first rifle i ever shot and man it is an accurate gun up to 100 yds. it will make a great deer rifle.
    If I get it, not sure how much field use it will get, I have some fav's for deer.....
    .338WM, marlin 336RC..... have an A-bolt in .375 H&H on lay-away....

(Delaware County)

I have a Savage 340C that my mother bought for my father as a 1st wedding anniversary gift in 1969 or something like that (could have been earlier). My father used it for more than 30 deer (buck and doe) over the years and then passed it down to me when I turned 12. Since then I have taken at least 1 deer every season with it and sometimes 2. The first year that doe and buck season were not seperated I took a small doe and a 6 point buck with only about an hour between the shots. This gun has been a lucky charm for both my father and I. I love it and it is in great shape still. Lately I have been thinking of not using it as much so I will be able to pass it on to my children without having to refinish it.

My 340C shoots quite well. Generally under 2" groups with a 4x scope. That is if I do my part. I have had it shoot better at times but to tell you the truth I have never put too much time into making my own loads for it. I will be doing so in the future just to see what it will do. One dissapointment that I did have with it was the fact that it DOES NOT shoot the Hornady Leverevolution ammo well at all. I'm talking 4" groups or bigger at best. It also shoots large goups with 170 grain ammo. I tend to stick with Reminton Core-Lokt 150gr ammo b/c that is what shoots best in my rifle.

Hope this post was helpful.

P.S. - - I have a Savage-Stevens-Fox Retai Price List from 1955 that lists these rifles brand new $49.95 and with an extra clip being $2.00, it must have been nice.