Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default New To This and have a few Questions????

Hi Everyone, First let me start off and introduce myself. My name is Tim and i live in the Beaver Falls area. I am new to the whole world of gun carrying. And am interested in getting my concealed carry permit. I have the application and have filled it out. I do have two references that i have known forever, problem is neither of them can be reached by phone during the work day as the application states. I was wondering if the beaver county sheriffs office actually calls the people as reference or if they get something mailed to them in the mail???? I was also curious about the process of getting the permit, do i get it when i hand in the application, (I heard it takes about 15 minutes to get everything done) or does it come in the mail a week or so later? I was also curious if the permit is an actual card that i carry in my wallet or if its just an electronic thing that shows up on my record? I would really appreciate it if some of you veterans of the process would let me know how it goes in the Beaver County Sherriffs department.... Thanks for your time, hope to hear from you soon!

(Beaver County)

Default Re: New To This and have a few Questions????

They never contacted my references, when I first applied or when I renewed. Take the app in with your money. You wait for them to run the PICS check. They will take your picture and give you your license on the spot. It is a plastic card similar to your drivers license. They are pretty friendly there and the process is pretty painless. When I renewed a few months ago, they had a book there that had the gun laws. They are free. Make sure ou grab one for reference. Aything you don't understand, ask here. We have a lot of knowledgeable people here. Welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by bdevil73; January 4th, 2010 at 11:41 PM. Reason: more info

(Beaver County)

Thanks for replying so quickly! I am alittle confused now....... I went on the sheriffs website and found the link for the PA License to Carry Firearms. Is this the same thing as a concealed weapon permit?????? Reading on other forums sounds like its not. If this isn't the right form where do i get the one for concealed carry??????? Thanks so much for all your help!!!!!!

Thanks again,
    Tim

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by timhullet View Post
    Thanks for replying so quickly! I am alittle confused now....... I went on the sheriffs website and found the link for the PA License to Carry Firearms. Is this the same thing as a concealed weapon permit?????? Reading on other forums sounds like its not. If this isn't the right form where do i get the one for concealed carry??????? Thanks so much for all your help!!!!!!

Thanks again,
    Tim
    In Pa we don't have a CWP we have a LTCF. It is what you are looking for. It allows you to carry concealed, but does not require you to. It also makes it legal to carry in a school zone (not in a school, or on school grounds), in your car and during declared state of emergency.

On this forum there are sub forums for Open/Concealed carry. You would do yourself a huge favor by reading this material.

BTW: Welcome to PAFOA.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Beaver County)

when I got my permit 15 years ago, they checked references and there was a 2-3 week process. My wife got hers last month - - she was in and out in 15 minutes. Download the app from the website, take a check and go hand it in. They'll have you a permit and out the door in no time -- no reference checks.

(Allegheny County)

Tim, since your initial questions have been answered, I just want to welcome you to the forum, and throw out an invitation to come out to a Group Shoot if you get a chance.

We have a shoot on the second Sunday of every month and it's open to all forum members. Nothing serious, just a bunch of us who like to get together and meet other shooting enthusiasts in person. It's always nice to meet new forum members, and a great way to see and shoot things you may never have had a chance to before.

Here's the link for the upcoming shoot:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...hoot-35-a.html
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Beaver County)

Thanks so much guys for all the replies! I really appreciate all of your knowledge and your willingness to share it. I will definitely be attending that group shoot, its nice to see everyone on here is a community outside of the Internet! Thanks so much for the invite. Im going to start a new thread about what concealed carry gun i should get. Please give me your thoughts as I'm new to concealed carry. Thanks

-Tim