Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: guns over bows

(Chester County)

Default guns over bows

i missed a 10ft shot at a sprinting buck this morning with my crossbow. i wish id had a gun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC95Ix-cK7A

(Berks County)

Default Re: guns over bows

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    i missed a 10ft shot at a sprinting buck this morning with my crossbow. i wish id had a gun...

There's your first problem...........

(Monroe County)

I read this earlier today and was hoping the youtube video was some sort of redeeming piece... but its not

Why in the hell would you EVER shoot at a sprinting buck with a bow? It is INSANELY un-ethical and also insanely stupid. Your chance of putting a good shot on a running buck is slim to none, especially at 10 FEET

If you have never fired at a target that is 10 FEET away you need to prior to thinking you can shoot a deer at that range. your cross hairs would have put the bolt several inches high at 3 yards, if not a foot+

The amount of distance you need to lead a deer that is at full run with a crossbow / bow is much more then one would assume. It takes a LOT of practice to hit a moving object accurately, especially with an arrow where placement is so crucial

I'd suggest either sticking with a rifle for the 2 weeks when you should be in the woods or learning some restraint!
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I read this earlier today and was hoping the youtube video was some sort of redeeming piece... but its not

Why in the hell would you EVER shoot at a sprinting buck with a bow? It is INSANELY un-ethical and also insanely stupid. Your chance of putting a good shot on a running buck is slim to none, especially at 10 FEET

If you have never fired at a target that is 10 FEET away you need to prior to thinking you can shoot a deer at that range. your cross hairs would have put the bolt several inches high at 3 yards, if not a foot+

The amount of distance you need to lead a deer that is at full run with a crossbow / bow is much more then one would assume. It takes a LOT of practice to hit a moving object accurately, especially with an arrow where placement is so crucial

I'd suggest either sticking with a rifle for the 2 weeks when you should be in the woods or learning some restraint!

actually YOU are insanely stupid; here's why:
    1. close range makes the shot easier, not harder
    2. you have no f***ing idea how my sights are set up
    3. a bolt from a 180lb crossbow will travel 10 feet almost instantaneously so the distance the running buck will move off POA during that time span is negligable
    4. rifle hunting is not allowed in Chesco, and shotgun season is over
    5. while i would not intentionally try to only wound a deer, when im out in the woods to shoot deer, which even with a perfect shot will take minutes to die, im really not THAT concerned with ethics
    6. anyone would have taken the shot i did under the conditions. you don't know those conditions because you were not there

so pretty much everything you said was wrong. good job

furthermore, you kinda missed the point of the thread, which was centered on a sweet video.

6. anyone would have taken the shot i did under the conditions. you don't know those conditions because you were not there
    Looks like you were wrong twice today.
    Last edited by God's Country; January 5th, 2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: clarification
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

Well, at least at 10 feet you should have been able to count the points to make sure it was a legal buck..........

Sprinting might make it a little harder though.....

(Allegheny County)

furthermore, you kinda missed the point of the thread, which was centered on a sweet video.

I watched the "sweet video" and still don't see the point of this thread.

The deer in the video were not sprinting, so I'm not sure where it fits in other than the joy of seeing a deer's head being whacked by a bullet.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Monroe County)

3. a bolt from a 180lb crossbow will travel 10 feet almost instantaneously so the distance the running buck will move off POA during that time span is negligable
    5. while i would not intentionally try to only wound a deer, when im out in the woods to shoot deer, which even with a perfect shot will take minutes to die, im really not THAT concerned with ethics

Anyone that would willing shoot at a deer at a dead run with a bow would not be hunting with me and they would be tracking their own deer.

No it wasn't a sweet video

I've shot several deer which did not take "minutes" to die. a perfect shot on a deer will kill within second. For an average "perfect shot" if the deer ran more then 75 yards you probably didn't get a perfect shot
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Anyone that would willing shoot at a deer at a dead run with a bow would not be hunting with me and they would be tracking their own deer.

No it wasn't a sweet video

I've shot several deer which did not take "minutes" to die. a perfect shot on a deer will kill within second. For an average "perfect shot" if the deer ran more then 75 yards you probably didn't get a perfect shot
    ^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^^

Your on your way to getting sent to the list..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast