Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scary Situation

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Scary Situation

if i were at a party, or anywhere, and i saw some drunk guy load up a rifle and try to point it at someone, i'd consider him an imminent threat, and act accordingly.

this guy is lucky he's not dead. he should be arrested, at least.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vertical453 View Post
    This isn't really a legal discussion, because I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that putting this guy down would be justified 100%. I just noticed myself questioning it mainly because I live in a small town, and everyone knows everyone. I've heard of this guy countless times and know enough that he doesn't have it in him to pull the trigger.

I'm sure I'll get flak for saying this, but here it goes. Knowing now that he in fact did not pull the trigger, the best possible outcome would have came from not shooting him, because everyone would be alive. Of course, you can't think like that when these things happen, because it can get people (my friend) killed. It's kind of a bind I can't get over.
    You asked advice on the use of deadly force. That is always a legal discussion.

(Bucks County)

As a practical matter, you have to consider the possibility that shooting someone with a gun in his hands might actually INCREASE the chance that said weapon will be discharged, with less than optimal results.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Allegheny County)

From a tactics perspective, if he wanted to shoot your friend would have his head blown off before your gun cleared the holster. Your friend would have the best chance at redirecting the muzzle.

Now, if that's not reasonable and your friend is in imminent risk of death, you can shoot him. But he still has a loaded rifle and could easily kill you even if he was shot multiple times. Maybe he can dive behind cover long enough to make something happen.

Get some training, it makes you think.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    You asked advice on the use of deadly force. That is always a legal discussion.
    If you think that I wouldn't have been justified, please tell me how. If you think I would be, then I agree, and there is no need to discuss legalities.

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii
    As a practical matter, you have to consider the possibility that shooting someone with a gun in his hands might actually INCREASE the chance that said weapon will be discharged, with less than optimal results.
    I have thought about this as well and it is indeed something that needs to be accounted for. Is it enough to not pull the trigger on someone because they are pointing a gun at someone? Anyone?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota 35-1 View Post
    This sounds like the "trust" game that I know a few branches keep on the down low.

They call them jarheads for a reason...

(Allegheny County)

It would have been better if the 30 other people there intervened before the weapon was loaded. As soon as his friends saw him get the rifle out - or go for the rifle they should have tackled his ass to the ground.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Philadelphia County)

If you think that I wouldn't have been justified, please tell me how. If you think I would be, then I agree, and there is no need to discuss legalities.
    The question of justification IS a discussion of legalities. In your OP you stated that you did not believe that deadly force was necessary to protect your friend. Necessity is a component of justification.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    It would have been better if the 30 other people there intervened before the weapon was loaded. As soon as his friends saw him get the rifle out - or go for the rifle they should have tackled his ass to the ground.
    People dumb enough to do something like that in the first place probably don't have the brightest of friends.

It's a scary world, and unfortunately, most people in my generation (around here anyway) aren't showing much hope for it getting better.

This isn't really a legal discussion, because I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that putting this guy down would be justified 100%. I just noticed myself questioning it mainly because I live in a small town, and everyone knows everyone. I've heard of this guy countless times and know enough that he doesn't have it in him to pull the trigger.

I'm sure I'll get flak for saying this, but here it goes. Knowing now that he in fact did not pull the trigger, the best possible outcome would have came from not shooting him, because everyone would be alive. Of course, you can't think like that when these things happen, because it can get people (my friend) killed. It's kind of a bind I can't get over.
    you answered your own question. you weren't in fear of your life or anyone else so keep the gun where it is....and find new people to hang with

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast