Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Gun supporters in Harrisburg: Crime is Philadelphia’s problem

Inquirer article:

Gun supporters in Harrisburg: Crime is Philadelphia’s problem
    By Michael Vitez
    INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

About 100 gun owners from around Pennsylvania roamed the capitol today, encouraging legislators to oppose any new laws limiting their right to own and bear arms.

The men were steadfast: crime is Philadelphia's problem, caused by Philadelphians, and any new laws to restrict the sale of guns won't solve it. There is only one solution, they said, crack down on criminals, enforce laws that already exist, and end what one gun supporter called "Philadelphia's catch and release program. It works with fish, but not with criminals," said Dennis Pavlik, director of legislative affairs for Firearms Owners Against Crime in Presto, in Allegheny County.

The gun supporters see this as a bedrock, basic, fundamental constitutional issue, and they are passionate. "Tell these legislators we expect them to exercise their oath of office and uphold our freedoms," Kim Stolfer, who organized today's pro-gun effort, told his troops before sending them out to buttonhole legislators.

These folks recited statistic after statistic:

"The highest rate of crime occurs in cities with the toughest gun laws," said John Brinson, chairman of the Lehigh Valley Firearms Coalition. "Citizens don't have guns. That means criminals have free reign to do what they want."

"It's a fact that when you allow people to carry concealed weapons, crime goes down, because criminals don't know who's carrying a gun," said Mike Cancel, a gun owner from Washington, Pa.

He and many others were extremely hostile toward Philadelphia, and resented efforts to abate Philadelphia's problems by forcing stricter laws on the state.

"It's their children that they didn't raise right, who don't know who their father is - it's strictly a Philadephia problem. The children are out of control. We have tons of laws alrady. The laws are not being enforced."

The gun owners also said they didn't accept any argument that if guns were restricted and limited, that streets would be safer. They contended the criminals would still have guns, and they wouldn't. "When the bad guys don't have one anymore, I'll turn mine in," he said.

Cancel, 53, an engineer, contended passionately that the second admentment is essential, that America is spiraling out of control, and it is vital that citizens possess firearms in order to fight tryanny foreign and domestic. "As the world continues to deteriorate, and we don't know what's going to happen next, do we want future generations the option to defend themselves? The population has to have parity against the standing military, man for man."

Cancel also claimed that "the judicial system is more of a problem than the guns on the street," and "70 percent of all crime is committed by repeat offenders."

Another gun owner wore a t-shirt: The Second Amendment: the original homeland security."

Most legislators they came to see were actually in session, debating the proposed gun restrictions and other matters, but they did find Rep Dave Reed of Indiana County in his office. After a long-winded argument, Reed interrupted and told the genetleman, "You're preaching to the choir. I'm an NRA member. I'm already with you."

Daryl Metcalfe, a house member from Butler, issued a statement opposing some of the main proposals being considered by the Comminttee on the Whole, including limiting gun sales to one a month, and a ban on semi-automatic firearms. Metcalfe said guns were not the problem.

"This cultural problem is the breakdown of the family and the subsequent absence of positive parental influences and supervision in children's lives," he said. "....Absent fathers, financial hardship and lack of meaningful parental influence and availability in children's lives are a disastrous formula for social unrest and violence."

Stolfer, a postal worker from Bridgeville, in the Pittsburgh area, organized the pro gun effort. He said he's a former U.S. Marine who became a vocal gun-supporter after a school-shooting in Stockton, California. He was outraged to find the shooter had been set free on a plea bargain. He believed that had law enforcement officials done their job, and incarcerated the killer, the Stockton tragedy would have never occurred. "How many lives would have been spared if judges had done their jobs and enforced the laws on the books?" Stolfer asked.

Stolfer contended there is immense opposition -- though perhaps silent -- to any new restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns. He said if the legislators passed the anti-gun laws proposed by Philadelphia legislators, "they'll have tens of thousands of gun owners standing in the street. And the protest will pale in comparison to today."

Only perhaps 100 gun owners came Tuesday to defend their rights, he said, but should these law pass, two million gun owners in Pennsylvania would speak out.
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

I wouldn't say that it's a Philadelphia issue, but I would say that gun owners are in trouble in PA. That is why I keep on urging members on this site to buy what you want now...because I see some very strict gun laws in the future.

(Berks County)

To all who visit this site, members and guests:

Please make sure to contact your state Representatives and Senators, and their opposing candidates in the coming elections. Find out their stances on gun control, and only vote in those, Democrat or Republican, that will support our rights! The greatest threat to our rights to carry, purchase, and own guns is a State Assembly that panders to gun control sympathizers.

People who are willing to allow the govt. to take away our rights to keep and bear arms are short-sightedly ignoring one important fact: the govt. is not always the citizen's friend.

(Bucks County)

I dont know if anyone check out the news last night at all, but i overheard when i was flipping through channels, all the bills for gun controll that was being braught up to discussion were denied. Can someone correct me on this, or is it fact?
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I wouldn't say that it's a Philadelphia issue, but I would say that gun owners are in trouble in PA. That is why I keep on urging members on this site to buy what you want now...because I see some very strict gun laws in the future.
    I believe it is absolutely a Philadelphia issue, but it is being pushed on the rest of the state. It is just like everything else coming out of the Philadelphia leaders, it is always someone or something else's fault. Last I checked, there weren't daily murders and rapes in the rest of the state, or even the suburbs. This is the result of uneducated people relying on someone else to protect them and raise their children.

I have been communicating regularly with my Reps on these issues.

UPDATE:
    I just received this reply from my State Rep, Bernie O'Neill:

thank you for your e-mail and support. I agree. I have asked for "real" evidence that 1 gun a month truly works and would have real positive impact on the gun violence that we see in our commonwealth. So far,, I have not seen such evidence. And,, I am told that even the Governor's commission on gun violence can not show any true evidence as well.

Again, my thanks.
    Bernie

Rep. Bernie O'Neill
    Last edited by Jeep274; September 27th, 2006 at 10:42 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd be all for a taking a day off work and go make a protest.

I want to hold pro-gun signs at an anti-protest.

If any of this crap passes, I expect gun owners to come out in force. (not with force though)..

and screw the "Free Speech Zones" or their "Permits to Protest".
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    I dont know if anyone check out the news last night at all, but i overheard when i was flipping through channels, all the bills for gun controll that was being braught up to discussion were denied. Can someone correct me on this, or is it fact?
    You're right, Drak! I had PCN on the TV all day yesterday and and all the gun control bills that we were worried about were denied by the Committe of the Whole. One bill that got a majority vote was the Castle doctrine that would give legal gun owners the right to us force, not only in their homes, but also in their cars. There were many reps from Philly that tried their damndest to get it voted down, but they didn't succeed.
    All in all, it was a good day for legal gun owners!!

(York County)

Thumbs down Bloomberg in PA???

the Patriot News reported that New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg was there outside the chamber, "with hundreds of Philadelphians battered by that city's spike in violent street crime in a series of rallies to demand that words be converted into swift action."
    FOAC * GOA * SAF * NRA Life Member

Default One gun per month?

Shoot! Im all for that! Right now after just buying a house, I can't afford any guns per month, Im looking more like a gun per year, Rendel wants to make it so I will have enough money to buy one per month, if I could vote, I would be on him like a fly in shit!

Do I get my choice Mr Rendel? First one i would like is a 1911 then the month after that, I want a benelli o/u Dont forget my wife also gets one per month also.. She also likes a benelli but in 20G although she wants a CZ as well, Please Mr Rendel, make this like Christmas every Month! Make the promise that I and all My friends can get one gun per month. Heck most of us would settle for one per 2 months if you Promise to get the model we want..

While your at it Mr Rendel, Please make sure other laws that would keep the city of Brotherly love safer, like making sure criminals dont stay in jail too long, so they dont get too upset in there, making sure the police looks the other way when there is a drug deal going on so no one needs to worry bout gang wars, make education tougher to get, and give bonus points to minorities so they can get in easyer.
    Philly has the bell of liberty, but the "crack" is on the streets, make sure its easy for tourists to find it, we all know a happy tourrist stoned out of his mind is easyer to control.
    Please Mr Rendel, when some one has a DUI, make it easyer for them to drive again, and Please never develop a law that makes it that high on drugs in public or driving becomes illegal, we all know what that could do to the "tourists" My friends and I ask you Mr Rendel to never go back on your decision, we dont want to be able to defend our homes and property. Let the coke heads have it all, As a mater of fact, you should make it part of your campaign that drug dealers have a safe haven in Pilladelphia. The Amesterdam of the US should be your campaign slogan, Come to Philly, no one is armed!

Well, exept for the one gun a month you propose I guess... But then why stop there? Maybe make it illegal to privately own a gun. Crime could completely be abolished if you remove all guns and legalize drugs! Why have any rules at all, remove all guns, legalize street gangs, and drugs, then remove all laws, no more criminals. We all want a free for all after all dont we?

Washington DC and New York City as such safe places to live Why would we want a place where constant shootouts happen like Vermont? We can all see what happens where you give the population the right to cary, transfer, even barter with guns. Vermont is a prime example of what open laws on guns means. Crime is so high there and no one respects their neighbour there.

You have the Right Idea Mr Rendel. Make Philladelphia a safe haven for drugs, You should put less effort on creating employment also, who needs a Job, Its way over rated! Unimployment and welfare is where the future is.

In the words of Louis de Buade, comte de Frontenac et de Palluau -- «Par la bouche de mes canons»

Mr. Rendel, the day gun rights are removed from Pennsylvanians, you will create a state where this famous phrase will resonate all over this fine state, and Phipps will not be the one hearing them.
    Last edited by Frenchy; September 27th, 2006 at 01:36 PM.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Philly has the bell of liberty, but the "crack" is on the streets,
    Ha.. thats beautiful man!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast