Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Becoming a marksman?

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    Smitty56
    If you are truly interested in learning to shoot a rifle well you are not in a terrible place. langhornerodandgunclub.org/ Langhorn is just North of the Turnpike. Just west of you in Gap is the range for the New Holland Rifle club, with I believe a 300 yd range.

Of course if you want to shoot 1000 yds you'd have to go to Mifflin Co, just out side Lewistown (nearly to State College). Pa has a lot of shooting opportunities. Could I suggest an Appleseed Shoot? There for a mere $60 or so you get two full days of instruction on the fundamentals of rifle shooting. As a bonus a little American History is thrown in. The nearest one to you I know of is in Manheim, just North of Lancaster, probably less than 1 1/2hrs http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php.

Best wishes in your attempt to become a better rifleman, it is a worthy American goal.
    New holland actually has rifle out to 600 yards. I believe water and wings also has 300+ yard rifle (but i can't recall how far it is... I want to say 500 yards... but it doesn't seem to say on their site... and I can't find the info with a simple search lol).

(Centre County)

Reiterating what was previously posted, particularly the 22lr, especially with a limited (100yd) range. I have one that is set up almost identically to my center fire bolt gun for training (weight, stock, scope, sling, etc.), as Tim indicated. It's worth it.

You need to know the accuracy capabilities of the rifle also, then match that on paper. No sense in trying for a 1" group at 100 if the rifle can't hold a 2 inch group. It's just not going to happen. But if your shooting 2 inch groups with a 2moa rifle, then you must be doing something right.

I'd like to throw in Dry Fire. You can refine your shooting technique without actually lobbing rounds down range. Trigger time.

Also, keep an eye out for some formal training opportunities that will be offered (hint). Check out Langhorne. I helped teach a LR tactical shooting course last september and it was a hit and will probably be offered again in the near future. Not sure if it'll be geared towards beginners though, but if it is, I'd try and sign up for it.

If you plan on extending your range beyond 200 yards, that itty bitty shot group you seek will become necessary since error grow exponentially at range.

If you can venture out to MCSA, let me know. I practice there and once in a while get a few other folks I compete with to come out and shoot too. You and your buddy would probably learn a lot.

(Perry County)

ARRRGH15;
    I just joined Mifflin Co to work on my long range skill, (I have been a member of Lewistown pistol club for some time). If you are working on long range rifle I'd like to attend. For the price and the facilities Mifflin Co. just can't be beat. I know that guys come in form as far away as NJ and Md. to exercise their rifles. How about a long range event of some sort at Mifflin Co on Sat, then an IDPA or USPSA match across the Valley at Lewistown Pistol Club Sun AM then a carbine match at Mifflin in the PM? Now that would be a Week-end to remember.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rundownfid View Post
    ARRRGH15;
    I just joined Mifflin Co to work on my long range skill, (I have been a member of Lewistown pistol club for some time). If you are working on long range rifle I'd like to attend. For the price and the facilities Mifflin Co. just can't be beat. I know that guys come in form as far away as NJ and Md. to exercise their rifles. How about a long range event of some sort at Mifflin Co on Sat, then an IDPA or USPSA match across the Valley at Lewistown Pistol Club Sun AM then a carbine match at Mifflin in the PM? Now that would be a Week-end to remember.
    You could fill an entire weekend just with precision LR rifle.

Next time i'm down there maybe we can meet up and shoot.

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: Becoming a marksman?

Guys,
    To all, thanks for the great advice so far. I will investigate your tips and figure out where I go from here! Hopefully the thread will continue.
    Again, great tips and suggestions. They are all appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Smitty56

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12