Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Time to admit the 'gun nuts' are right

In light of the sexual assualt and murders of the women of the Petit family in Connecticut at the hands of brutal home invaders who also happened to be repeat offenders, liberal anti-Bush editor Keith C. Burris wrote the following commentary:

Time to admit the 'gun nuts' are right
    By Keith C. Burris
    08/03/2007

In the aftermath of the Petit family slayings in Cheshire, we all reached for explanations: How do human beings sink this low? How could this tragedy have been prevented? Why?

There are so many nagging questions. They all need to be asked. And maybe some old arguments need to be hashed out again.

Why not a more stringent "three strikes and you're out" law in this state? Connecticut's version is so weak that it's more like "30 strikes and we'll think about it while you strike again."

Why not speed up the criminal trial process for repeat violent offenders? Get them off the streets. It's been proposed many times. Most people agree it should be done. It never happens.

Can't we better monitor the probation process?

Can't we do a better job of predicting -- figuring out which non-violent criminals are about to turn violent?

Are home alarms really effective?

How about dogs?

But somehow all of these ideas pale before the barbarity of this particular crime.

That is why one old question is worth asking again. It is this: What if the Second Amendment is for real? Is it possible that it should it be revered, just like the First Amendment?

Sam Ervin said, "The Constitution should be taken like mountain whiskey -- undiluted and untaxed." Maybe that applies to all of the Constitution.

Is it possible that the Second Amendment is not a quaint and antiquated remnant of a world that will never return, but an idea as relevant and sound today as when it was written?

Is it possible that we are not talking about the right of the government to form a militia when there is no standing army, but the right of the individual to defend himself, or herself, against both tyranny and lawlessness? Maybe we are talking about the right of self-defense -- the right of the individual to take up arms against a government that wants to oppress, be it foreign or domestic. And the right of the individual to defend himself against criminals, brutes, and barbarians when local police seem unable to stop them.

Might the Second Amendment matter almost as much as the First?

I think the answer is yes.

And just like the First, the Second is practical, newly relevant, and far wiser than the watered-down alternatives.

I don't think George Bush wants to impose martial law on his fellow citizens. But he has diluted habeas corpus. And he has enlarged Big Brother. You have to stop and think about a government that wants to control the thoughts and behavior of its people.

Should such a government be permitted to disarm them as well?

And whereas the reform of the criminal justice system along some of the lines suggested above (a real "three strikes" law and faster trials for violent offenders) would not have saved the lives of Jennifer, and Hayley, and Michaela Petit, a gun might have.

I don't say it would have.

I say it might have.

Had Dr. William Petit had access to a gun and known how to use it, he might have been able to dispatch the two perpetrators, who were armed with only an air gun and ropes.

Moreover, the three victims here were women.

What if Mrs. Hawke-Petit had been trained in the use of firearms? Suppose she had been able to get to a gun after her husband was beaten into unconsciousness by the invaders? Or when she was forced to take one captor to the bank to fetch him money?

It's worth thinking about.

Women and children are now the major targets of predators in our society. Government is not protecting them very well. Many professional women who work in cities know this and take courses in self-defense. A gun may be the only realistic self-defense against the sort of criminals we are talking about here.

And if a few women took care of a few thugs in cases like this; if a few stories like this one ended in a different way -- with a woman blowing one of these brutes to kingdom come -- it might be a deterrent. Lives upon lives might be spared.

A friend of mine said: "The gun nuts are back."

They are.

And they are right.

Mind you, we are talking about arming people who are trained and know how to use a weapon.

No one should have a gun who has not been trained.

Just as one gets training in handling a boat, motorcycle, or car, one must learn how to use and safely store a gun. (The National Rifle Association maintains an extensive national network of programs in firearms training and education.)

And, obviously, no one would be forced to own a gun.

A second caveat: Encouraging citizens to arm themselves is no "answer" to crimes like the Petit murders.

An "answer" does not exist.

But it is one of several remedies when we are faced with palpable evil.

All possible remedies should be on the table:

-- Various reforms of the justice system, like a real three-strike-law for predatory offenders.

-- Better psychological treatment for troubled youth.

-- Religious training, in both love and self-restraint, especially when people are young.

-- Prison programs that both retain the hard core and educate the educable.

-- More and better home alarm systems.

-- More cops visible in more neighborhoods.

-- Dobermans.

All of these approaches have merit.

So does self-defense.

None of these options "fix" a society that can produce human beings who torture and kill the defenseless for sport.

No one step or program can plug every hole in America's justice system, or its soul.

But there are times when a gun in the hands of a potential victim may save a life.

Let's admit -- since the murderers, and druggies, and psychos, and thieves already have guns -- that arming the peaceful, law-abiding, decent, and productive people, whether in a school, or a private home, or on the way to a parked car, is an option that also has merit.

--------

Keith C. Burris is editorial page editor of the Journal Inquirer.
    http://www.journalinquirer.com/site/...d=569380&rfi=8

(Berks County)

Default Re: Time to admit the 'gun nuts' are right

I don't like his use of the term "Gun Nuts" to categorize all of us who support the RKBA. Even if he's joking with his use of the term, those he's trying to convince with the article still see us as unstable, and it reinforces their perception.

Otherwise, I agree with the article on all points; it's just plain-as-day common sense.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

It's sad to say, but I've been wondering if this incident is going to be what it takes for CT to join the shall issue world. I researched CT's laws a bit once, and was surprised to see that I could easily obtain a non-res for Ct.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Westmoreland County)

I'm going to a work meeting in Groton, CT in Sept...maybe I should apply for a non-res permit! I hate to go through the hassle for a 2 day visit.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    I don't like his use of the term "Gun Nuts" to categorize all of us who support the RKBA. Even if he's joking with his use of the term, those he's trying to convince with the article still see us as unstable, and it reinforces their perception.

Otherwise, I agree with the article on all points; it's just plain-as-day common sense.
    I have a feeling those he normally talks to do call us gun nuts. I think he is using that term so that his audience relates to who they are talking about and why they are not wrong.

It really amazes me that people pick and choose which rights they think matter.

(Philadelphia County)

Holy Crap! What a horrible crime!

This is the reason why my family owned guns in Argentina, and why we own guns today.

Everybody down there knows at least one family or acquaintance who's had something similar happen to them. Maybe not with murder and arson, but definitely instances where bad people broke in and raped every woman and little girl in the house, and beat all the men to an inch of death.

I hope these a-holes get tortured in jail before they get shivs to their throats.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Tioga County)

Gun Nut?? no,
    I am a firearms enthusiast..

The Mommies and Daddies of suburban Connecticut lied.

Monsters are real.

http://www.courant.com/community/che...,6861979.story

(More coverage in links on the right side of that page)

(Lehigh County)

No one should have a gun who has not been trained.
    In other words, the author feels people are responsible enough to have guns, but not responsible enough to seek out training on their own, outside of a government mandate. Yeah, cause that makes sense.

(Philadelphia County)

" Is it possible that the Second Amendment is not a quaint and antiquated remnant of a world that will never return, but an idea as relevant and sound today as when it was written?

Is it possible that we are not talking about the right of the government to form a militia when there is no standing army, but the right of the individual to defend himself, or herself, against both tyranny and lawlessness? Maybe we are talking about the right of self-defense -- the right of the individual to take up arms against a government that wants to oppress, be it foreign or domestic. And the right of the individual to defend himself against criminals, brutes, and barbarians when local police seem unable to stop them.

Might the Second Amendment matter almost as much as the First?

I think the answer is yes."

I like how they like some parts of the Constitution of the United States and think others (2A) are ridiculous and therefor not necessary. All the amendments in the Constitution are important. That's why they were written for crying out loud. 1A says that you can say what you want and 2A is the guarantee of that.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast