Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Scope for my M1A

Their QCB stuff is top of the line, I am fond of their 4x line of combat optics. They mark up their "tacti-cool" stuff so don't be afraid to look at their hunting lines. Same reticles, same tubes just smaller turrets.

Also while the mount has been mentioned. Run away, throw out or melt down the ridiculous SAI mounts, they are trash. If you have a newer SAI forget about the ARMS mount as your receiver most likely will not be in spec. Don't worry its not a negative thing, I have just seen a lot of owners have trouble with this mount on newer SAI M1As.

Best mount for newer model M1As is the Sadlak
    http://www.sadlak.com/si_improvements_to_bpt.html

Best Budget mount for any M1A is the Bassett
    http://bassettmachine.com/prod_smhi.htm

I prefer the basset myself.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post
    Their QCB stuff is top of the line, I am fond of their 4x line of combat optics. They mark up their "tacti-cool" stuff so don't be afraid to look at their hunting lines. Same reticles, same tubes just smaller turrets.

Also while the mount has been mentioned. Run away, throw out or melt down the ridiculous SAI mounts, they are trash. If you have a newer SAI forget about the ARMS mount as your receiver most likely will not be in spec. Don't worry its not a negative thing, I have just seen a lot of owners have trouble with this mount on newer SAI M1As.

Agreed the Springfield Armory scope mount is garbage!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Delaware County)

I know the SAI mounts are garbage, i've heard many things about them. I was planning on buying an ARMS #18 mount and use ARMS low sitting rings. I've seen many people use these on M14 firing line forum. Yes, my NM M1A is basically brand new. I think it was manufactured in 2008, people have said quality is diminished with the newer models, but it's still National Match. So it can't be that bad.

(Delaware County)

OK, so those IOR scopes are EXPENSIVE!!! Man! Even their illuminated hunting scopes (3-18x42) are around $1,300 on SWFA! At least they throw in free low rings.

Similar Trijicon accupoint scopes (3-9) are around $650-700. I think I may go with the Trijicons.

(Berks County)

You sir risk offending me!

SAI are not "junk" or other, they are the gold standard by which most other production rifles are judged. Yes LBR is hammer forged blah blah and even SEI is getting into the mix with their line of milled receivers, but they are custom guns made in small numbers for a certain crowd. The mounting issues have nothing to do with quality it has to do with dimensions. The newer SAI receivers are made to their own spec and because they are not custom built those dementions wander slightly as the machining tools wear. The ARMS mounts are made to mil spec from the 60's and not all SAI receivers comply. If you go that route be prepared to pay someone to correct your mount, its not a sure thing but a common occurance.

(Delaware County)

You sir risk offending me!

SAI are not "junk" or other, they are the gold standard by which most other production rifles are judged. Yes LBR is hammer forged blah blah and even SEI is getting into the mix with their line of milled receivers, but they are custom guns made in small numbers for a certain crowd. The mounting issues have nothing to do with quality it has to do with dimensions. The newer SAI receivers are made to their own spec and because they are not custom built those dementions wander slightly as the machining tools wear. The ARMS mounts are made to mil spec from the 60's and not all SAI receivers comply. If you go that route be prepared to pay someone to correct your mount, its not a sure thing but a common occurance.
    Haha! No offense intended!!

I know SAI is not junk or else I wouldn't have bought mine. I did get it second hand for a really good deal though!

I have read that many people use the ARMS #18 mount on their SAI rifles without problems, but if you say that those budget mounts are decent then I might just go with those instead.

Thanks again for all the help!

(Berks County)

Sorry for the long delayed reply,

I really like the modularity of the Bassett machine mount. A lot of people insist on having the use of the their iron sights with a scope attached, I personally cannot understand why, at least in my training I have never been able to transition from optic to iron sights mounted below the scope with any amount of speed, and with the field of view obstructed it just makes no sense to me. My feelings aside they do make a mount with enough height to clear the irons.

On the other hand all the mounts include a "torque" wrench that has instructions on use. With this tool you can remove your entire mount and have full use of the irons in less than a minute. Get a nice padded case and you can carry your mount, scope and cheek riser all in one package and have the best of both worlds in a snap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12