Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Indoor pistol range at Ontelaunee

I am a new member at Ontelaunee R&G Club and I wasn't aware they had an indoor range until I saw something about on the forum. If someone could give me any info, I'd appreciate it. Is it open to all members or only for events? I'm also a new member at PFOA. Great forums!

Default Re: Indoor pistol range at Ontelaunee

I'm actually interested as well in knowing if it is open only at certain times, closed certain times, etc.

What I DO know is there is shooting practice every Thursday evening starting at around 5:30 give or take. I HIGHLY recommend you come on by and try it out. Everyone is very permissive of what firearm you use. The rule seems to be that as long as the steel backstop can handle it, you can shoot it. So no steel core ammo, no tracers; standard indoor range rules.

What they shoot is a rotating schedule. So far I've been there for ICORE, IDPA, and 22 pistol/rifle. This Thursday is B-27; silhouette shooting.

On ICORE day, plenty of folks were using glocks, 1911s, and other non-revolvers. My wife borrowed someone's S&W Model 22A. On IDPA day, they were ok with me using a Romanian TTC (7.62x25 Tokarev) despite IDPA rules saying 9mm or larger. Last Thursday though they were fairly strict on using 22 pistol and 22 rifle, but several folks stayed until afterwards and shot other calibers.

Each time has involved all kinds of interesting scenarios, targets, etc. For example, last Thursday, one of the 22 rifle targets was a set of small "playing cards" and the best "poker hand" wins. Last ICORE day the final stage had a barricade and 2 barrels to hide behind, 3 courses of fire in 1 string. i.e. Fire 6 from behind the barricade, reload while running to the first barrel, fire 6 from behind the barrel, reload while running to the second barrel, fire six from behind the second barrel. Clock didn't stop till you finished with the targets at the second barrel.

VERY fun stuff.

(Delaware County)

Am a member also but have only used the outdoor ranges. Sorry could not give help but please let me know more about the indoor range and use of when you find out. Thanks.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I work evenings. The newsletter said they built two new pistol ranges. Do you know anything about them? The only one I've used was the 25yd at the rifle range.

(Delaware County)

I believe the twp new pistol ranges were outside and around the corner from all the other outdoor ranges. Make a left when you enter the parking area for the outdoor ranges and follow the road around and you will see them.I believe they put them in for matches and IDPA stuff.
    Last edited by vetter3006; January 13th, 2010 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    I beleive the twp new pistol ranges were outside and around the corner from all the other outdoor ranges. Make a left when you enter the parking area for the outdoor ranges and follow the road around and you will see them.I believe they put them in for matches and IDPA stuff.
    Correct. Those ranges are marked as being for the pistol team. They don't have any permanent target stands.

(Delaware County)

I've been a member at Ontelaunee for a few years now. Since I'm just off the Philly airport, it isn't a place I pop up to after work, but it is inexpensive and I can do the things DCF&S doesn't allow.

This is the first I've heard of an indoor range. Where is the building?
    Last edited by imashooter2; January 13th, 2010 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I've been a member at Ontelaunee for a few years now. Since I'm just off the Philly airport, it isn't a place I pop up to after work, but it is inexpensive and I can do the things DCF&S doesn't allow.

This is the first I've heard of an indoor range. Where is the building?
    The building is the clubhouse. It's right by the entrance. When you turn into the club, the picnic area will be on your right and the clubhouse will be right in front of you. In order to get to the rifle ranges, you have to turn right at the clubhouse. The indoor range is in the basement of the clubhouse. It's soundproofed to the point that someone firing a 45 will sound like a hammer banging from outside (with no ear protection). If you didn't know there was a range it would be easy to mistake it for the sound of some simple construction work. Anyone firing a 22 will be silent from outside.

Btw, speaking of Ontelaunee, there's an IDPA competition this Sunday at 8:30AM until around noon. They begin setting up for it on noon Saturday, so they close the ranges on Saturday at noon. The ranges are listed as being closed all day on Sunday, but they open them back up when the match is over (about noon). They close all the ranges because the gunfire from the other ranges interferes with being able to properly hear the timer buzzers.
    Last edited by Nullifidian; January 14th, 2010 at 09:58 AM.

(Delaware County)

Is the club house open for members when no events are going on inside to say use the indoor range or do you need a key or is it only for special events?

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    Is the club house open for members when no events are going on inside to say use the indoor range or do you need a key or is it only for special events?
    I've never tried to enter it except on Thursday evenings when there's practice. I really need to remember to ask Walt or Tom tonight about that. I should have asked him yesterday evening when I was at his shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast