Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol question

(Perry County)

Default Pistol question

Hi all im new here and i have a pressing question that has had me concerned for some time. My son (he is 24) accuired a Sauer & sohn western six its a 44magnum about 4 years ago. We know nothing about this pistol it was in a junk trailer that was going for scrap. He found it while in the scrapping process. I guess what worries me it has no owner except for my son.the trailers had no owners there were several at the time that were being demolished. what do we do with this pistol. I mean im not scared of it ive owned many rifles, shotguns, flintlocks etc.. Should we get the state police involved? It is a nice looking pistol the serial #s are intact no grinding anywhere. the bluing is coming off. we would like to use this for hunting/target shooting. any suggestions would sure be appreciated. thanks

Default Re: Pistol question

Unless you suspect that it may have been stolen or used in a crime, I see no reason to contact the police. I would have a competent gunsmith give it a once-over before I fired it.

(Perry County)

donm thanks for the reply. I have no reason to think any thing bad of it. My guess was it was just forgotten and left behind by someone. Now next question.
    Can my son just assume ownership? without any paperwork?
    What must happen in order to hunt with it? When it comes to pistols im at loss. ive been reading alot lately about open carry. Im i right in my reading that the pistol does not need to be registered in PA? i dont know maybe i need to move these questions. thanks again

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by boots6868 View Post
    Hi all im new here and i have a pressing question that has had me concerned for some time. My son (he is 24) accuired a Sauer & sohn western six its a 44magnum about 4 years ago. We know nothing about this pistol it was in a junk trailer that was going for scrap. He found it while in the scrapping process. I guess what worries me it has no owner except for my son.the trailers had no owners there were several at the time that were being demolished. what do we do with this pistol. I mean im not scared of it ive owned many rifles, shotguns, flintlocks etc.. Should we get the state police involved? It is a nice looking pistol the serial #s are intact no grinding anywhere. the bluing is coming off. we would like to use this for hunting/target shooting. any suggestions would sure be appreciated. thanks
    I wouldn't touch that thing. You have no idea of the history of the gun and waited 4 years before attempting to make it legal. Pistols have to be transferred by a FFL and that did not happen in this case. The pistol did have an owner at one time, you just don't know who or how it ended up in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Unless you suspect that it may have been stolen or used in a crime, I see no reason to contact the police. I would have a competent gunsmith give it a once-over before I fired it.

I would not contact the police without talking to a lawyer first. The police are going to want to know why you (or your son) waited 4 years to transfer the pistol. It seems like a trouble just waiting to happen to me...

My responses in red... YMMV
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Perry County)

thanks Recon for your reply. The reason its been 4 years its just been in the gun safe that long and it was never used or thought of, we have plenty of rifles and shotguns to hunt with. I found it again while cleaning out the safe.

(Lehigh County)

thanks Recon for your reply. The reason its been 4 years its just been in the gun safe that long and it was never used or thought of, we have plenty of rifles and shotguns to hunt with. I found it again while cleaning out the safe.
    No problem... I would hate to see a post on this forum asking us how to get your guns back....

I like to think that the police will believe that you had no intent to break the law and not charge you with anything, I would not risk my freedom or my rights on something like this.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Perry County)

So what to do with the darn thing. I dont want an albatross hanging on me or my son.

(Lancaster County)

You can give it to me.

(Lehigh County)

So what to do with the darn thing. I dont want an albatross hanging on me or my son.
    Well that presents a problem doesn't it?

1. If you turn it in to the cops, there could be some legal issues for you to deal with:
    A. If it was used in a murder or attempted murder they could try to charge you.
    B. If it was reported stolen, they could try to charge you with the theft.
    C. If it was reported lost, you still have a pistol in your safe that you did not transfer through an FFL.
    2. If you destroy it:
    A. It could be a family keepsake that was lost or stolen and you destroyed it.
    3. If you throw it away or "loose" it:
    A. A thug or wanna be thug could find it and kill a bus load of nuns/orphans.

I know what I would do, you need to figure it out for yourself.

(Perry County)

I here ya. I had a little welding to do anyway. thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast