Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default LEO Non-encounter. I think.

Stopped by the Sunoco on 309 in North Wales at 11:30 last night to get some gas for the truck and myself. As per usual, there were multiple LEO's hanging out from the surrounding areas. Counted 3 Lower Gwynedd and 1 Horsham. Anyway, they were all at the coffee machines, so I had to squeeze my way in, at which point they moved to the other side of the door. While I'm pouring my joe, I hear the female officer, who I've had "encounters" with in the past, say to the others "Hey, left side......mumble mumble". I'm thinking either I'm kinda printing or my pullover is hung up on the grip. Either way, I wasn't about to adjust it. The older of the four replies "Well, I doubt he's here to rob the place with the four of us in here". I give a little sideways glance over and he nods, kinda like a "how ya doin?" nod.

Not really much of an encounter, I know. But it's good to know that at least some of the local popo won't bother "us" over nothing. Also nice how he didn't feel the need to make it an issue in front of younger officers. Ya know, puff out his chest and impose his "authority". Just kinda squashed any urge they may have had to bust balls. On the way out, exchanged friendly "Have a good night"s and was on my way.
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

(York County)

Default Re: LEO Non-encounter. I think.

Sounds like a good encounter to me! Glad it went well. What was the previous encounter like, and was this an improvement?

And thanks for posting this.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Sounds like a good encounter to me! Glad it went well. What was the previous encounter like, and was this an improvement?

^^What he said^^.

(Mercer County)

Good encounter!

At no time were you detained, thrown to the ground, or had your weapon taken.

Extra points to you for being polite and friendly with them. That goes a long way toward the next time you (or someone else with a sidearm) comes across this group of LEOs.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by s.bass73 View Post
    Stopped by the Sunoco on 309 in North Wales at 11:30 last night to get some gas for the truck and myself. As per usual, there were multiple LEO's hanging out from the surrounding areas. Counted 3 Lower Gwynedd and 1 Horsham. Anyway, they were all at the coffee machines, so I had to squeeze my way in, at which point they moved to the other side of the door. While I'm pouring my joe, I hear the female officer, who I've had "encounters" with in the past, say to the others "Hey, left side......mumble mumble". I'm thinking either I'm kinda printing or my pullover is hung up on the grip. Either way, I wasn't about to adjust it. The older of the four replies "Well, I doubt he's here to rob the place with the four of us in here". I give a little sideways glance over and he nods, kinda like a "how ya doin?" nod.

Not really much of an encounter, I know. But it's good to know that at least some of the local popo won't bother "us" over nothing. Also nice how he didn't feel the need to make it an issue in front of younger officers. Ya know, puff out his chest and impose his "authority". Just kinda squashed any urge they may have had to bust balls. On the way out, exchanged friendly "Have a good night"s and was on my way.
    Good encounter. Good for you for not over reacting when you realized they were talking about you.

The LEOs comments were nothing different than I do when I notice someone who is CC/OC. (I just don't have a partner to inform) I would suspect that everyone here does the same thing.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lackawanna County)

Nice to see a experienced officer showing those with less experience how to handle an encounter where no law is being broken. A win for all involved.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by s.bass73 View Post
    "Well, I doubt he's here to rob the place with the four of us in here".
    You should have robbed the place just to rub it in their face

(Northampton County)

I know this is strange, but I sometimes feel like I'm doing something dishonest when I'm concealed carrying. I always fear that what happened to the OP will happen to myself, so I'm always making sure I'm covered and not printing. To me, concealed carry serves one main purpose: the element of surprise. Unfortunately, the element of surprise can be used against a bad guy or against a clerk at the store. Cops don't like surprises, so they might get a little freaked out if they see someone conceal carrying in a sloppy manner.

In my ideal logical world, open carrying would be the better option. It shows that you have nothing to hide and that you are not trying to get the "+1 up" on a police officer or a clerk. I also strongly believe that it serves as a deterrent against potential criminals. It is a win/win for all parties involved. But, in reality, the general public fear the mere sight of a handgun, so concealed carry is the preferred mode of carry for many licensees.

I know this turned into a rant, and I'm not trying to start a CC vs. OC debate, I just think that the OP's encounter was not positive.
    Last edited by uniballin; December 31st, 2009 at 02:00 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    You should have robbed the place just to rub it in their face
    That's exactly what I was thinking My rep button is broken for you right now.

Quote Originally Posted by uniballin View Post
    I know this is strange, but I sometimes feel like I'm doing something dishonest when I'm concealed carrying. I always fear that what happened to the OP will happen to myself, so I'm always making sure I'm covered and not printing. To me, concealed carry serves one main purpose: the element of surprise. Unfortunately, the element of surprise can be used against a bad guy or against a clerk at the store. Cops don't like surprises, so they might get a little freaked out if they see someone conceal carrying in a sloppy manner.
    It's Winter so I Sloppy Carry (SC) now. Some girl even noticed it today and asked me if I carry all the time.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

The previous encounters with the femLEO were actually two instances of midnight car shopping. They really don't like that in the Springhouse area. First time the wife and I were simply pulled over, asked a few questions and sent on our way. Second time I was "surrounded" by three officers while two more blocked the exit/entrance. FemLEO was the first to approach my car.

Saw her in WAWA on 202 and 63 the night after the sunoco encounter. We made eye contact and she went on with her conversation. Maybe the older cop from the night before made his point with her.
    "bukakee ≠ waterboarding" ~tlgpa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast