Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie Question: Suggest a .22 rifle platform?

Hey all, new to the PAFOA (thanks, Emptymag, for pointing me here) ... and new to suppressed firearms. I'm interested in setting up a .22LR rifle for a suppressor. I know that there are lots of aftermarket parts for the 10/22 (and I have a 10/22 already), but I'm interested in hearing about other platforms. My interest would favor maximum suppression over rapid fire, so it would seem that a bolt would provide the quietest action. That would probably entail having a smith thread the barrel rather than simply purchasing one aftermarket that is already threaded. Your thoughts/experiences/suggestions welcome.

Also looking for an NFA dealer in Beaver, Butler, or Lawrence Counties, if anyone has a recommendation.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Newbie Question: Suggest a .22 rifle platform?

If you want true hollywood quiet then a bolt is the way to go. One draw back is the barrel might need to be shortened to thread properly. Ruger 10\22 are nice. you can trick them out, Accessories are plentiful. It really boils down to what you are looking for in suppression.

(Delaware County)

If you want REAL quiet then go for a bolt gun like the Marlin 880. Using a semi auto will be a little louder than the bolt but a lot more fun, although not good for hunting in PA.

Best regards,
    chalmitch
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

(Allegheny County)

If a 10/22 is your choice for a base gun you have several options on looks and ways to suppress. Most screw on .22 cans can't handle high rates of fire because of thier construction (aluminum) but some are stainless steel. And most integral suppressors are made out of stainless which might handle a semi at a higher rate of fire. My AAC .22 Pilot sucks when bullet breaks sonic speed on a 16" threaded 10/22 with standered .22 ammo BUT if your gun will cycle standered subsonic .22 ammo its very very quiet, but works well on a pistol (shorter barrel). If you like the look of a bull barrel with an integral suppressor. Most of these will vent the pressures of the bullet from the barrel into an internal chamber which slows the bullet down to subsonic then suppresses the bang of the powder charge going off.

A class III dealer in Butler, Rt. 8 in Slippery Rock, John Shedio (724-794-0163) hes a good guy very fair on prices and easy to talk to.

If you can make it to the PAFOA shoot out at Monroeville/Pitcaren sportsmans club this sunday I'll have both styles screw on and integral you can try
    Last edited by fullauto223; August 10th, 2007 at 09:40 AM.

fullauto223

Don't make me angry, I might raise my FONT ON YOU

I had my 10/22 threaded for my Outback II and it was pretty quiet. I recently bought a Marlin 880SQ bolt action and also had it threaded. The 880 is a much better option if you want noise reduction.

For a host gun a 10/22 is hard to beat. However the difference between a bolt and S/A is enough to notice. If you want max supression get a bolt gun. I picked up the savage MKII in the pic below just to use as a host (and because they are dirt cheap)

22rf's dont generate enough heat to worry about F/A causing issues in Al cans, so rapid fire is a non issue. The real difference in Al vs SS (in a 22rf can) is cleanability i.e. resistance to harsh solvents(vinegar & peroxide)

Thanks, all. I've decided to go with a CZ 452 American 16 at this point. I'm somewhat familiar with CZs and like them alot. Will probably buy a threaded barrel for my 10/22 eventually, but think I'll start with a bolt gun.

Looking at various suppressors out there, some hock the fact that they can be taken apart for cleaning. Is that important in your opinion?
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

(Allegheny County)

Most newer .22 cans do not come apart and are not meant to be. to clean soak in solvent, rinse, and use a air compressor air gun to remove any other liquid. also watch the thread end if you are gonna be taking on and off repeatedly some are made of aluminum which is very soft. and some use stainless. hope that helps

fullauto223

Quote Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
    Thanks, all. I've decided to go with a CZ 452 American 16 at this point. I'm somewhat familiar with CZs and like them alot. Will probably buy a threaded barrel for my 10/22 eventually, but think I'll start with a bolt gun.

Looking at various suppressors out there, some hock the fact that they can be taken apart for cleaning. Is that important in your opinion?

I personally would not buy a 22rf can that did not come apart. a sealed (22rf) can will eventually fill up with lead (no matter what you do)

most companies have or are working on take apart cans.
    off the top of my head:
    AAC- Prodigy
    YHM - Mite
    SWR - Spectre
    Tac Inc - all models

(Allegheny County)

I stand corrected, I'll put my head down in shame and update my research on companys working on cans for people who like take things apart , thanks

fullauto223

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast