Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default H&R 32 auto self loader

Just picked one up cheap in very good condition - waiting on it to arrive. I always liked this old gun and said I'd buy one if the price was right and ...... does anyone have any info. on parts available / schematics, etc.? Suppose to be in perfect condition, but with it being so old, thought I'd pick up a few things for it so when they do go, I will be ok - just not sure how much is out there for this gun. Was going to look for a 25 auto next to have a pair - lol.
    From what I hear/see, to field strip it you pull the trigger guard down like a walther ppk and then slide the rail off - anyone know if this sounds right ?
    Thanks !

(Northampton County)

Default Re: H&R 32 auto self loader

Numrich Arms/GPC at www.e-gunparts.com has some parts for this model. You will very often find parts offered on the on-line auction sites. Disassembly is as you have stated = pull the front of the trigger guard down and out of the frame, set it on the left side and pull the slide forward - barrel will fall out on the floor and then you can pull the slide the rest of the way. Extra mags show up pretty regularly on the auction sites, also - you'll want at least one. I have five of the .25s and four of the .32s in my collection - value has been fairly static over the past few years because more of them seem to be showing up for sale.
    Jim Hauff
    H&R Collector.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post
    Numrich Arms/GPC at www.e-gunparts.com has some parts for this model. You will very often find parts offered on the on-line auction sites. Disassembly is as you have stated = pull the front of the trigger guard down and out of the frame, set it on the left side and pull the slide forward - barrel will fall out on the floor and then you can pull the slide the rest of the way. Extra mags show up pretty regularly on the auction sites, also - you'll want at least one. I have five of the .25s and four of the .32s in my collection - value has been fairly static over the past few years because more of them seem to be showing up for sale.
    Jim Hauff
    H&R Collector.
    Thanks for the info. Jim - I appreciate it. If you have any other info., or come across any, please feel free to share here or message ! I grew up in Mass. about 30 miles from the H&R plant, and have a lot of memories of shooting with my Dad - mainly his 944 revolver. I have been looking for a good 4" model for a while seeing I did not get that gun when he died - if you know of anyone selling one, again, let me know. One last question, I noticed the 32 self loader has a small chip in one grip and as I look for new ones, I see some have cut outs for the safety lever, some do not - I guess you have to dremel or cut them yourself ? Any thoughts ? Thanks again.
    Steve
    Last edited by cruzans; January 3rd, 2010 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Meant 922 not 944 !

(Northampton County)

All the left side grips on my 32s have a relieved area where the safety lever will sit. There is a small projection of the grip material that runs upwards, just forward of the cut out for the safety lever's pin - on several this projection has broken off, being very thin and unsupported. I don't think you will need to use a Dremel if you get the grip panel for the left side???? Maybe, I'm not fully understanding your question????

(Cumberland County)

All the left side grips on my 32s have a relieved area where the safety lever will sit. There is a small projection of the grip material that runs upwards, just forward of the cut out for the safety lever's pin - on several this projection has broken off, being very thin and unsupported. I don't think you will need to use a Dremel if you get the grip panel for the left side???? Maybe, I'm not fully understanding your question????
    we're talking about the same thing. the issue i have been finding is that some of the one's I am looking at actually do not have the cut out for the safety lever pin - the full recession is there for the lever to rest in, but no actual hole or cutout for the pin ? odd, it's like you have to cut it out yourself. i guess it would be easy enough to do, just didn't know why they are made like that - i guess they are aftermarket and maybe there were different positions for the pin for different years or something ? guess i'll just have to take my chances

(Cumberland County)

figured it's probably easier to see what I mean, here are the two different grips from two different dealers. The one's with cut out are $ 30 and the ones without are $20 - not a huge differenct, but $10 bucks is $10 bucks - as long as I feel I can make the cut w/o wrecking them - lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Northampton County)

I see exactly what you mean. Never having bought a set of grips for this model, I was a bit confused (as usual these days.) Allow me to offer this: Every one of the H&R revolvers and pistols that I own or have owned made before around mid 1930's when the switch to the Rice type grip frame occurred, had grip panels fitted to the individual piece and had the last three or four digits of the serial number scratched or written on the back of each panel. H&R guns were hand fitted and hand finished - the serial number on the grips indicated that those panels had been fitted to the gun and kept all the pieces together after final finish and assembly. Extrapolating from that known fact - it is very possible (and logical) that the grip panels for the 32 SL without the cut - are factory originals that were never fitted to any individual piece. In 1986, Numrich Arms purchased the majority of parts and in progress pieces from the H&R Arms Co. which had closed their doors in Feb of that year. There are/were lots of unfitted pieces remaining and Numrich got the lion's share. The "un-cut" panels were probably part of that stock. Get them and fit them yourself. I've found that on individual pieces even of the same model and close together in serial numbers, that the grip panels don't often fit perfectly when switched from one to the other - usually due to the location of the bottom locator pin which was drilled through the bottom strut of the grip frame - I'll bet you can fit those uncut ones yourself better than expecting a set that were cut and drilled to be perfect. Follow-up!

(Cumberland County)

I see exactly what you mean. Never having bought a set of grips for this model, I was a bit confused (as usual these days.) Allow me to offer this: Every one of the H&R revolvers and pistols that I own or have owned made before around mid 1930's when the switch to the Rice type grip frame occurred, had grip panels fitted to the individual piece and had the last three or four digits of the serial number scratched or written on the back of each panel. H&R guns were hand fitted and hand finished - the serial number on the grips indicated that those panels had been fitted to the gun and kept all the pieces together after final finish and assembly. Extrapolating from that known fact - it is very possible (and logical) that the grip panels for the 32 SL without the cut - are factory originals that were never fitted to any individual piece. In 1986, Numrich Arms purchased the majority of parts and in progress pieces from the H&R Arms Co. which had closed their doors in Feb of that year. There are/were lots of unfitted pieces remaining and Numrich got the lion's share. The "un-cut" panels were probably part of that stock. Get them and fit them yourself. I've found that on individual pieces even of the same model and close together in serial numbers, that the grip panels don't often fit perfectly when switched from one to the other - usually due to the location of the bottom locator pin which was drilled through the bottom strut of the grip frame - I'll bet you can fit those uncut ones yourself better than expecting a set that were cut and drilled to be perfect. Follow-up!
    That makes a lot of sense now ! The pre-cut one's are from a seller on gunbroker called mr rock, and he clearly says they are "quality reproductions" - so they are probably just a copy of one set. The others without cut are from a company called N.C. Ordnance ( or www.gungrip.com ) and they don't say reporductions, so maybe they are the surplus from H&R that you spoke of. These are cheaper too, $ 20 so I think I'm going to order them now ! Great info. again, has helped a lot ! I found a guy on another thread that was showing his absolutely pristine 32 and asked him to send me manuals and such, he said he would, can't wait ! Thanks again, Steve

(Cumberland County)

Check this out Jim - it's that H&R I said I found on another thread and asked for copies of the manuals, etc. - beautiful !

(Cumberland County)

And here's the one I just purchased for $ 175 ( holster included - lol ), not as pretty, but I'm going to strip it down, oil it up, use some of the blueing past I have to spruce it up a bit and see how she looks !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast