Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Catch 22 for SBR?

I am considering the possibility of turning a pistol I purchased into an SBR. I have been reading through the various documents here (and really appreciate the information and guidance) and have a question.

One of the details that must accompany the application for the SBR is the overall length. How accurate does this have to be? The reason I ask is, I do not have the parts in my possession, so I am not really sure how long it will be in actuality. But from other reading I am doing, if I buy the parts, even if they are not assembled, I can be in trouble with those friendly fellows from the BATF for constructive possession.

So how do I get through this part without breaking the law or just making up information that may not be correct?

Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Catch 22 for SBR?

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

Content in violation of forum rules removed. ~Staff
    Last edited by gnbrotz; December 28th, 2009 at 06:12 AM.

(Northampton County)

What kind of pistol are you converting? If it's something that already comes in full rifle form, you could always measure the full rifle version then subract the difference between the rifles barrel and your soon to be SBR.

(Allegheny County)

If you tell us what Pistol that your thinking about SBRing, we might be able to help you better.

IMHO ... this is what I would do.

1. Guess what you feel the OAL would be and error on being too short. Why, just think of everyone that has an SBRed AR. They can swap out 7",10",etc uppers without a problem. I would just put the shortest that I intend to go.

2. Parts. Depends on the pistol. If it's something like an AK that would need gunsmithing done to it to convert, I wouldn't worry about constructive intent. If it's something like an AR where you can throw a stock on it, I would be a lot more cautious.

Hopefully, someone like Jaybell, Gunlawyer, etc can chime in and give a more definitive answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    What kind of pistol are you converting? If it's something that already comes in full rifle form, you could always measure the full rifle version then subract the difference between the rifles barrel and your soon to be SBR.
    This one apparently starts out as a pistol, and the variants are enough that there is no set way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    If you tell us what Pistol that your thinking about SBRing, we might be able to help you better.

IMHO ... this is what I would do.

1. Guess what you feel the OAL would be and error on being too short. Why, just think of everyone that has an SBRed AR. They can swap out 7",10",etc uppers without a problem. I would just put the shortest that I intend to go.

2. Parts. Depends on the pistol. If it's something like an AK that would need gunsmithing done to it to convert, I wouldn't worry about constructive intent. If it's something like an AR where you can throw a stock on it, I would be a lot more cautious.

Hopefully, someone like Jaybell, Gunlawyer, etc can chime in and give a more definitive answer.
    The pistol in question is a Kel Tec PLR-22, which I picked up at the gun show this past weekend. My intent is to run it for a while to make sure it is a keeper, and then start the SBR process. My previous experience with Kel Tec has all been good, so I am optimistic. I have seen several different versions of this in an SBR configuration. The one I am leaning towards incorporates a folding stock, although I am not sure it would be sturdy. So I have not really decided yet. Heck, I haven't even figured out of the gun is going to be reliable yet! But I am working on it. Here it is below, wearing my SWR Spectre can.

(Centre County)

Are any of the stock you're thinking about using factory from keltec? If so I would call and ask them how much they feel it would add to the OAL. The next option woudl be to find the keltec forum (is there such a thing) and post over there to see if someone has done this before, I'm sure there is. That is typically how AR's have been done. Worst case scenario if you get the totally wrong lengths, once you get your F1 back you can send an amendment letter to BAFTE RE: the change in OAL.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    The next option woudl be to find the keltec forum (is there such a thing) and post over there to see if someone has done this before, I'm sure there is.
    Kel-Tec Owner's Group
    www.ktog.org

The forum portion of KTOG.
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Yeah, I know about KTOG. I registered over there years ago when I bought a P3AT. I posted over there again with some questions, but there seems to be a translational problem. Apparently I am not being clear. But I am making some progress over there now.

I am thinking about using a Kel Tec stock. Their adapter is expensive enough, and adding their stock is just a few bucks more. To add on another stock, complete with buffer, spring, etc, really jacks up the price!