Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default .22LR ammunition variation?

SO i'm all in to .22LR lately, and just bought my 3rd .22LR gun in month.

Anyway, I scoped my newest(10/22 SS), and figure get few different bland of ammos to see which is most accurate out of this gun.

So I bought some Eley Target ammo, Wold match extra ammo, Remington Cyclone, CCI Stinger, and some bulk wallyworld special.

and as I was looking at the ammo, then I noticed this!

From left to right - CCI Stinger, Eley, Wolf, Remington, Federal

And you can clearly tell that case for Stinger is quite bit longer then the rest.
    Is that normal? Or even safe to fire out of 10/22?
    I've used CCI on many .22LR gun I have had before, and never had any issues with them(other then the most rifling rate is 1:16 , which is not great for high speed light projectile - I prefer 1:18 for higher velocity stuff), but I must admit, I never noticed Stinger case is longer then others.

Should I be concerned of this?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: .22LR ammunition variation?

a lighter bullet equates to a smaller/shorter bullet the case length is increased to compensate for this, in short don't worry about it

(Jefferson County)

CCI stingers have always been like that. If you'll see, the .22 Long and the .22 Long Rifle also have the same length of a case. But the Long Rifle has a longer bullet and typically a hotter powder charge. The situation with the Stingers is - they had to length the case to make up for the shorter lighter weight bullet to keep a similar overall length so that some guns would feed them properly and to keep them from having rim-lock problems in box magazines.

The Stinger is perfectly safe to shoot out of a 10/22. Some semi-auto's though have problems with ejection due to the longer case and the location of the ejector. ...Remington 77's are one that have that issue.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

It depends on what the mission is, The Eley and wolf are target ammo, the wally world stuff are "plinking ammo, The CCI sting is for "pest control"

(Clarion County)

You need to check your gun's manual before shooting stingers. If it isn't mentioned there you might want to check what people are saying on the forums concerning your type gun.

If you shoot them in a gun and the case is hard to extract or splits it would be a good idea not to shoot them in that gun.
    rifles with regular chambers and liberal headspace like 10 22s , gsg 5s seem to be able to handle them.
    I would not shoot them in any older target 22 rifle or any newer bolt action that is more likely to have a target type chamber. Doing so could harm your chamber or reduce your future accuracy.
    When I was a kid I started shooting them in my marlin 989 m2 and I thought they were great until after 30 or so shots, then the bolt buffer broke and the next round detonated out of battery due to a jam!

I like to use yellow jackets, vipers or aguila super maximum which are comparable in power but have regular sized cases.