Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clarion County)

Default Private range question

Can anyone tell me the general rules of setting up a private gun range on my property????

It will be a .22 plinking range and 25 yd handgun range......

I am not in any major cities in pa either.......allegheny natl forest area....

(Adams County)

Default Re: Private range question

Go to Google maps (satellite view) and check to see what lies beyond your backstop. If there are any nearby buildings etc, you may want to adjust the direction.

The backstop is everything. If possible, make it bigger than you think you need. Dirt pile is the most common, but I have seen other material used.

You might get someone from PSP to check the sight. I know they occasionally get requests to do this. If you were to get any complaints in the future, you would at least have this "approval" in your back pocket. If there is down side to this one, I am sure someone will point it out.

I will be watching this thread closely as I am planning to do the same. The neighbor down the road has a huge pile of fill ground left over from building his house. I just need a few weeks of dry weather to get a dump truck into the location.

(York County)

I remember reading something about this some time back on this forum I believe. Townships have certain zoning regulations as well that you would want to check into. I know someone will be on with more information, but I think there is a lot more to it than getting it checked by the PSP. I will also be following this...
    GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Bucks County)

Check your local municipality ordinances to see if they prohibit discharging of firearms in certain areas. Probably they don't in your area, but good to check. Make sure you have the required setbacks and a good back stop.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Luzerne County)

PSP doesn't "approve" or have anything to do with personal ranges. The NRA does have a manual which will give you detailed info on building a range.

You biggest obstacle will be the local ordinances which may, or may not prohibt you from having the range in the first place.

Aside from that, having an adequate back stop would be the most logical thing.

These are pics from my "secret range" in the valley. Actually its not mine, as it belongs to a friend but my son and I were there a few days ago shooting.

Last edited by Steve in PA; December 27th, 2009 at 03:19 AM.

(Clarion County)

I will have to check my local ordinances....though the local gun club has a private range less than a mile from me.....so I doubt that will be an issue....plus the neighbors on the hill below me have a range........as far as backstop... 10' vertical dirt wall.....my house is above and right 25' from where I will be shooting.....also I will be shooting at a downhill angle into the dirt wall....

(Bucks County)

You also have to watchout for local ordences being added. Our Motorcycle club owns land where we hold a hillclimb. The huge hillside was ideal for club members who needed to check their scope zero.

There are several established club ranges in the township. When the town established their new ordenance; the established clubs were grandfathered yet we were not in the loop and can not shoot at the property any longer.

Our backstop was a hillside over 800 feet tall and runs the entire length of the property making the site ideal for a casual site in spot. The regulation was set up to stop another property close to a housing development from using their informal range...

Same sort of situation happened over dirtbikes and ATV's where someone bought a small property simply for riding and was bothering the neighbors. A blanket ban that didn't grandfather our site until we threatened legal action. We received permission related to our race weekends and a few 'formal' club field meets eliminating the possibility of club members using our property except during these events...

Make sure you are not bothering anyone w/ the mayor's ear!

(Clarion County)

I set up and was shooting most of the day today.......I am in a very remote location and really dont have many neighbors to bother ........and they are all fairly easy going......

(Clarion County)

If you are inside Strattanville boro they do have an ordinance against shooting,
    but outside of that in Clarion township they do not. There are lots of back porch / back yard ranges around here.

There are a couple of things to consider IMO before making a range however.
    Good backstop of dirt/clay and or sand with no big rocks, sounds like you have that at 10'.
    Ideally a couple of hundred yards out behind the backstop extending out in a fan/triangle shape for lead that may bounce up over the backstop(i have seen it happen)
    You should not be shooting a gun anywhere in PA within 150 yards of any occupied structure unless you have their permission.

If you are shooting in to the backstop at certain angles frozen dirt can cause a ricochet just like water or rocks can, and I have found the 22 more likely to bounce (escpecially subsonics) than other calibers. 8 to 10" of loose sand will stop almost any round.

Call me paranoid but perhaps i had too many close calls as a kid.

Anymore I mostly shoot at a metal spinner and 1/4 top hinged plate targets.
    So long as you are shooting straight at them they stop the bullets quite well and turn them into little pancakes on the spot.

good luck with your range, it is a worthwhile project.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by 22LR View Post
    If you are inside Strattanville boro they do have an ordinance against shooting,
    but outside of that in Clarion township they do not. There are lots of back porch / back yard ranges around here.

There are a couple of things to consider IMO before making a range however.
    Good backstop of dirt/clay and or sand with no big rocks, sounds like you have that at 10'.
    Ideally a couple of hundred yards out behind the backstop extending out in a fan/triangle shape for lead that may bounce up over the backstop(i have seen it happen)
    You should not be shooting a gun anywhere in PA within 150 yards of any occupied structure unless you have their permission.

If you are shooting in to the backstop at certain angles frozen dirt can cause a ricochet just like water or rocks can, and I have found the 22 more likely to bounce (escpecially subsonics) than other calibers. 8 to 10" of loose sand will stop almost any round.

Call me paranoid but perhaps i had too many close calls as a kid.

Anymore I mostly shoot at a metal spinner and 1/4 top hinged plate targets.
    So long as you are shooting straight at them they stop the bullets quite well and turn them into little pancakes on the spot.

good luck with your range, it is a worthwhile project.
    not in strattanville boro........outside of town on corsica side..... and the only structures near my range within 150 yd is my parents....and also mine....after i was done shooting today the lead actually burrowed a mole hole into the hill where i am shooting