Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Got a Bagmaster Range Bag: How to Comply w/Law & Not Look Dweebie

No permit to carry concealed (will be heading to the Sheriff's office soon though), so, two questions:

Thus far, I've been transporting my pistol in it's original case, unloaded, in the trunk of the car, with ammo in a separate container. Does carrying the pistol (unloaded) and the ammo together in a range bag comply with the letter of the law in PA for transporting to a range?

And:

Since the bag is brand new, how best can I avoid looking like the Neo-maxi-zoon-dweebie novice shooter (that I am, BTW), when I walk into the range? Kick it around a bit first? Add a few well worn rags, cleaning supplies?

Default Re: Got a Bagmaster Range Bag: How to Comply w/Law & Not Look Dweebie

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the non-detachable magazine, or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder, contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.

(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to
    or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of
    assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.
    . . .

(8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. Section6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer’s place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S Section 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. Section 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

Got it. Thanks very much.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    And:

Since the bag is brand new, how best can I avoid looking like the Neo-maxi-zoon-dweebie novice shooter (that I am, BTW), when I walk into the range? Kick it around a bit first? Add a few well worn rags, cleaning supplies?
    Well, I've been shooting for a good many years now and if a nice looking, clean range bag, carrying case, etc., etc. makes you look like a dweeb, then I guess I'm a dweeb. I take pride in the condition of my equipment. I take care of it, it will last longer. It's one thing if it gets some wear from going to camp, shipping it on an airplane, etc., but that is normal wear and tear. It is going to happen over time. I have some very nice guns and they get transported in pretty nice looking cases. It's not the equipment you are carrying that makes you a "Neo-maxi-zoon-dweebie novice shooter", it is how you carry yourself and how you perform at the range. If you practice safety at the range, follow range rules to the letter, ask questions if you don't know, then that will raise you above the average novice shooter. Most shooters with more experience than you will always try to help if you ask, they want to see people who act safely on the range. They may even ask to see what you're shooting, especially if it is the whiz-bang newest generation uberloudenboomer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Don't worry about looking like a Dweeb. You'll be a veteran soon enough and there's nothing wrong with having new gear.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Don't worry about looking like a Dweeb. You'll be a veteran soon enough and there's nothing wrong with having new gear.
    Agreed. One of my favorite old movies growing up was calling Angus and starred George C. Scott as the main character's grandfather. He said,

"Screw 'em Angus, who cares what anybody else thinks."

Indeed.

Enjoy that new range bag, I just use a old beat up shoulder bag when I go to the range. And get your LTCF!

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Monroe County)

Keep in mind that sooner or later even the verterans have to spring and buy a new range bag!

(Allegheny County)

Heh. I use tool boxes similar to this...

They protect my gear, keep things dry, and are easily wiped clean if I need to set them down in dirt/mud.

Tip(s): If purchasing plastic tool boxes for this purpose, be sure it has a strong hinge/latch to support the weight of ammo and such. Also, look for one with a flat top. It makes storage easy if you can stack one on top of another.

Do what works for you and don't sweat it over the noob image. The way you handle your firearm says a lot more about your "noobness" than what sort of range bag you walk in with.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

And:

I bring my gear to the range in rolling suitcases. Wouldn't worry about it.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Heh. I use tool boxes similar to this...

Man!!! That's the Dweebiest looking toolbox I've ever seen!!

Plastic isn't good for storage though (directed to the OP)
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast