Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default F.I.R.E. Institute One Day Clinic Review

I wasn't quite sure where to post this thread and I hope it's ok with the moderators. Feel free to move it to a more appropriate area.

This 8 hour, 1 day clinic at the McDonald Sportsmen's Association in Western PA, is the perfect introduction for someone who has never fired a firearm or for those who haven't had the time to train or practice and find themselves getting back into the game after a couple years off. My class had 3 instructors who have been doing this for over 10 years and it showed.

The classes are small, they only allow a maximum of 8 students, my class had 6. 3 novices like myself and 3 who had prior experience. This is how we were grouped when firing. Since the class sizes are small, you get alot of 1 on 1 time with an instructor both on and off the range. Tony, Steve and Mark were constantly monitoring the group and if someone needed special attention they were there without fail.

The first hour or so is a bit of legalese, terminology and range rules, which is more than understandable and there was plenty of time for questions, which, as Tony noted, "there is never a stupid question when it comes to operating a firearm".

Saftety was of the utmost importance and was constantly being stressed which made me feel very comfortable as a complete novice. I won't rehash all the rules and steps that I learned as I'm sure that's old hat to many of you here. But I do feel confident that I would be able to operate a firearm safely in the vicinity of others at a club or range.

I have yet to purchase a firearm and the instructors freely offered the use of their equipment, both revolvers and auto-loaders, so I had the opportunity to fire a few different types which was a treat.

We moved into the indoor range in the morning due to a scheduling conflict, which meant lead only. We reviewed the range safey rules again, these rules were stressed over and over throughout the day. The 3 novices started out with revolvers, which I think was a good move on the instructors part. There were no biased opinions as to what type of firearm might be better than the other, there were pros and cons to both, and everyone seemed to have their reasons for using what they do and only suggested to buy the one that felt most comfortable to you and had the features you wanted.

Everyone holstered up, those of us with revolvers were briefed on how to use the speed loaders, and we started a bunch of dry runs, constantly checking the firearm to make sure it was empty. These dry runs were very helpful when it came time to shoot. We went over stance, grip, eye dominance / cross-eye dominance, basic marksmanship, loading and unloading the firearm multiple times prior to even firing.

I thought, prior to going in, that I might be out of my element but I didn't feel out of place at all, in fact it was quite the opposite, these guys make you feel very comfortable and re-assured. They spent a little more time with the 3 newbies (myself included), but once we were outside and shooting jacketed rounds, the other 3 gentlemen in the group were able to shoot while we were getting more safety instruction on the auto-loaders, which was fine by me as I had never operated one before.

1 on 1 critiquing after firing was invaluable as the instructors could tell you exactly what you were doing wrong per shot from the target view so you could adjust the next round.

I'm still a bit torn on what to purchase. I'm left handed, so as with most things in life, firearms are typically made for the righty. I'm used to this though and can adapt easily, especially when it's something new. The revolver is tried and true, very few working parts, but a bit uncomfortable in grip for me. I couldn't easily wrap my hands around it comfortably. I also had the chance to shoot a SIG (thanks Jayson) and a Glock (thanks Steve), both were very comfortable and lightweight. A couple of the guys had 1911's, one which had an ambidextrous safety which seems appealing to me. I hear those can get pricey though.

There's a ton of information to squeeze into an 8 hour day and I know I didn't retain it all, but the point of the class is to get you interested, get some basic skill and safety knowledge and hopefully you'll come back for more. At $45 a pop these guys are basically giving the class away. I know for certain that I will attend a 3 day class if these guys ever find a good home.

The only thing I could have used is some printed material. I'm not suggesting a bound book, but a few papers stapled together with some of the rules, regulations and finer points which were covered could be helpful for review later. I'm sorry I didn't think of this previously when asked by Tony during the de-briefing, the thought didn't really hit me until I was driving home. But again, for $45 I'm not complaining at all!

As these guys are looking for a more permanent home the schedule isn't set in stone, but if your interested check out their website for up and coming classes. http://www.fireinstitute.org.

Hopefully this will find someone who was in my position looking to get started.
    Last edited by Dunc; September 26th, 2006 at 12:27 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Dunc, this is a great post and I'm glad you found F.I.R.E. Institute to be a good experience. I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions from everyone here on what you should buy whether you ask for them or not.

*cough*glock*cough*1911*cough*
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Westmoreland County)

Duncan,

Thanks for writing this review. We don't have money to advertise so the only *press* we get is word of mouth and internet reviews of our courses.

1911's are my favorite auto-loader but they are a high maintenance handgun. By that I mean most of the better quality replacement parts require hand fitting by a skilled 1911 gunsmith. You have to understand that before you commit to it. And the better quality brands are expensive.

If you do choose a 1911, as *wrong-handed* shooter you'll need an ambidexterous safety. These are not as robust as the OEM design.

I'm not trying to talk you out of a 1911, it's just that as you even pointed out, a pistol w/o allot of external controls is very well suited to left handed shooters. The Glock or the new S&W M&P is what I'd suggest.

Nevertheless, take your time in making a choice.

FYI,

We have secured a gun club to host our classes. The Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmen's Club < http://www.pmsconline.com/ > contacted us Sunday with the news.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    The only thing I could have used is some printed material.
    Duncan,

PM or e-mail me a snail mail address and I'll send you something.

(Allegheny County)

Hi Dan, yea I think I'm leaning towards the Glock. After reading Tony's posts I do remember him saying something about the parts and expense. Maybe i'll save the 1911 purchase for a later date after i'm more comfortable and a bit more hard core.

Tony, my pleasure, just wanted to thank you guys again, I had a great time and learned alot. I'll email you. And i'll definetely check out the S&W M&P.

Congratulations on the new place, that's much closer to home!

Dunc

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc View Post
    Congratulations on the new place, that's much closer to home!

Dunc
    Is this the same Duncan from Sniper's eye?

I just moved from where I was when we said we where practically neighbours, but im still not far, Ambridge area...
    Frenchy
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Allegheny County)

Hey Frechy,

must be another guy. i've read a couple posts by a "Duncan" around here, I think he's been in the game alot longer than I have.

I actually used to live in Ambridge also, on Duss Avenue right by the Stop n' Go. Didn't like Ambridge as much as Beaver, but at least Ambridge had bars!

(York County)

Thumbs up Re: F.I.R.E. Institute One Day Clinic Review

I have been considering F.I.R.E. for the Utah CCW course. Sounds like a top notch school.

"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor that the protected will never know."
    -Author Unknown

Life Member NRA
    Life Member VFW
    Life Member 2nd U.S. Cavalry Association
    Life Member, Order Of The Spur - Golden Spur Holder

(Beaver County)

Default Re: F.I.R.E. Institute One Day Clinic Review

Quote Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
    I have been considering F.I.R.E. for the Utah CCW course. Sounds like a top notch school.
    Ditto that. I was told to expect a call in the coming weeks with a date

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: F.I.R.E. Institute One Day Clinic Review

Quote Originally Posted by avizpls View Post
    Ditto that. I was told to expect a call in the coming weeks with a date
    Now that PMSC has agreed to host our classes, I have to contact them about dates and details. I hope to get that done by the weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast