Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Situational Unawareness

This morning I had to run out to the convenience store to get some milk and coffee. What I saw there just made me cringe. Our local convenience store is actually a truck stop on an interchange with the interstate. The mix of people who frequent the place is a cross between small town types where everyone knows everyone else, and travelers from who knows where.

I pulled into a parking space slowly, as the car sitting in the next spot over was running, and one never knows when another driver is going to start backing and turning without looking. Glare from the early morning sun made it harder to see if there was even anyone in the car anyway. As I pulled alongside, I could see that there was no one in the vehicle at all. I just assigned the whole thing to the garden variety idiot who jumps out and leaves their car running while they just run in "for a second".

But then, as I exited my truck, I looked down into the interior of the car, and saw a wallet of a young lady. I was sure it was a young lady because I could see her driver's license. I could also see a handful of cash, and other things one usually expects to see in a wallet. Running car, unlocked, wallet with money sticking out in plain view on the front seat - here is a victim going somewhere to be victimized. And, she is very likely the kind of person who will wonder why all the bad stuff happens to her.

The thing that really made it hard for me is that I passed her on my way in. She is about the age of my older daughters. I was tempted to say something, but I just bit my tongue. I am a stupid old man, and a stranger to boot. But I have to wonder, did no one care about this girl as she grew up? Obviously she has no idea what could possibly happen to her in those few seconds that she leaves herself so far open to invasion from predators. Where does it all rest? Ultimately, it rests with her, but she can't know to do better if no one taught her.

My children are grown. I harped on them continually. They told me so. But now they are old enough that they are telling me thanks for the lessons. Now I am starting in on the grandkids. But for you youngins out there who are just starting out, don't let your kids grow up to be like this girl. There are never any guarantees, but you can at least make sure they have the tools to survive.

Merry Christmas.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Situational Unawareness

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    This morning I had to run out to the convenience store to get some milk and coffee. What I saw there just made me cringe. Our local convenience store is actually a truck stop on an interchange with the interstate. The mix of people who frequent the place is a cross between small town types where everyone knows everyone else, and travelers from who knows where.

I pulled into a parking space slowly, as the car sitting in the next spot over was running, and one never knows when another driver is going to start backing and turning without looking. Glare from the early morning sun made it harder to see if there was even anyone in the car anyway. As I pulled alongside, I could see that there was no one in the vehicle at all. I just assigned the whole thing to the garden variety idiot who jumps out and leaves their car running while they just run in "for a second".

But then, as I exited my truck, I looked down into the interior of the car, and saw a wallet of a young lady. I was sure it was a young lady because I could see her driver's license. I could also see a handful of cash, and other things one usually expects to see in a wallet. Running car, unlocked, wallet with money sticking out in plain view on the front seat - here is a victim going somewhere to be victimized. And, she is very likely the kind of person who will wonder why all the bad stuff happens to her.

The thing that really made it hard for me is that I passed her on my way in. She is about the age of my older daughters. I was tempted to say something, but I just bit my tongue. I am a stupid old man, and a stranger to boot. But I have to wonder, did no one care about this girl as she grew up? Obviously she has no idea what could possibly happen to her in those few seconds that she leaves herself so far open to invasion from predators. Where does it all rest? Ultimately, it rests with her, but she can't know to do better if no one taught her.

My children are grown. I harped on them continually. They told me so. But now they are old enough that they are telling me thanks for the lessons. Now I am starting in on the grandkids. But for you youngins out there who are just starting out, don't let your kids grow up to be like this girl. There are never any guarantees, but you can at least make sure they have the tools to survive.

Merry Christmas.
    I concur...young girls today are a victim waiting to happen.

(Clinton County)

I plan to teach my kids to always expect the worst possible outcome for every situation to ensure that it never turns out that way. I have 2 girls and I know full well the ugliness that lurks out there waiting for them.

(Montgomery County)

That's about on par with the women that run by themselves, ear buds in place, in the Wissahickon gorge of Fairmount Park.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    I concur...young girls today are a victim waiting to happen.
    Sadly you are 100% correct.

My significant other is a prime example. Grew up with a career Marine for a father. He tried. I get the "you sound like my Dad" line when I try to open her eyes to certain things.

Depressing.

(Westmoreland County)

Pennsy, thanks for sharing your story. I can identify with your harping. My wife thinks my motto should be... I love, so I harp.

One of my 8 year old daughter's favorite "jobs" is checking the area around our vehicle before we unlock the car doors to exit. I try to make the things she learns fun and easy, and I reward her for her efforts. I hope the things we talk about become second nature to her over time.

part of this is the empowerment of women movement. Kudo's but don't forget the common sense stuff like, Joggin in a park known for attacks and rapes. Leaving your car running, cool...I didn't want it anyway. Cash, why daddy bought me the car and gives me all the cash I need!!!
    I'm hot, some guy will give me money just to be seen with me in public!!!

Yup, great ideology, morales, values, and ethics...Can't wait to see how this social experiment turns out in 40 years!!!

(Montgomery County)

The shame in it is these kids will most likely learn the hard way that it can be a real cruel world out there and the predators are everywhere lurking in the shadows just waiting for an opportunity.

Teaching your kids to develop their sixth sense could save them from serious harm someday.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by msp701 View Post
    Sadly you are 100% correct.

My significant other is a prime example. Grew up with a career Marine for a father. He tried. I get the "you sound like my Dad" line when I try to open her eyes to certain things.

Depressing.
    Ever simply reply "thank you" or you're welcome" when she says that?

(Allegheny County)

That sort of thing always amazes me.

Perhaps someone here will chime in with the "She shouldn't HAVE to lock her door" defense. You know - since it's already illegal to steal, stalk, rape, etc., why SHOULD she have to lock the door?

Perhaps THOSE kind of people are her "parents"?

I'm glad my parents lived in the real world and taught me to use the brains God gave me.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast