Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Open carry, I'm Cornfused..

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Is this a reference to a BATFE license for AOW or NFA class? If so, how would that statement relate to your run-of-the-mill legal handgun that doesn't require any extra paperwork? Pa. doesn't issue a license that's specific to a particular firearm, or am I missing something. I have more than one handgun, but only one LTCF that covers me carrying any legal firearm, right?
    The phrase you are questioning is referring to a LCTF. Not NFA or other paperwork.

Does that clear it up for you?

Yes, your LTCF covers your carrying ANY legal "firearm" (Firearm as defined by pa statute).

Even those not owned by you.

(Jefferson County)

Is this a reference to a BATFE license for AOW or NFA class? If so, how would that statement relate to your run-of-the-mill legal handgun that doesn't require any extra paperwork? Pa. doesn't issue a license that's specific to a particular firearm, or am I missing something. I have more than one handgun, but only one LTCF that covers me carrying any legal firearm, right?
    Your LTCF covers any pistol, revolver, short-barreled shotgun, short-barreled rifle or a shotgun or rifle with an overall length less than 26" that you may lawfully own. In PA, the legal definition to "firearm" are the types of weapons mentioned in the first sentence.

To lawfully own the the SBS or SBR - you have to go through the federal government procedures. If one lawfully owned a NFA device, and left it in their vehicle, and had a LTCF - the spouse would not be charged with a concealed weapon's violation, but could be charged with federal weapons violations.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

What my question is in regard to is the part of the sentence that I had highlighted:
    "a firearm for which a valid license has been issued"
    What license is issued for a particular firearm?
    I'm not familiar with Pa. issuing a license for a specific firearm.
    I haven't had a license issued for any gun that I've ever owned. I've had a fishing license, hunting license, LTCF, drivers license, etc. They all pertain to me as an individual, not a particular gun, car, fishing rod or whatever.
    What is the significance of the text I'm questioning?

(Lebanon County)

Talking Re: Open carry, I'm Cornfused..

What my question is in regard to is the part of the sentence that I had highlighted:

I haven't had a license issued for any gun that I've ever owned. I've had a fishing license, hunting license, LTCF, drivers license, etc. They all pertain to me as an individual, not a particular gun, car, fishing rod or whatever.
    Don't forget your fork truck license.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewGuyHere View Post
    Don't forget your fork truck license.
    That one is almost specific to one vehicle, I've never operated a fork truck quite like that one in the past, and probably never will again.
    Thanks for the reminder, it's almost time to get it renewed.

(Jefferson County)

I see what you are questioning now..

What they mean is: a firearm that is owned by someone that has a license.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    3. Absolutely NO loaded firearms of any sort in a vehicle WITHOUT a LTCF - so it must be unloaded.
    Just to clarify something that's a very common misunderstanding in our community: You need a license to carry a firearm in your vehicle, whether it's "concealed" or hanging in plain sight from your dome light, whether it's loaded or unloaded, whether it's functional or missing key pieces, or even if it's rusted shut.

Your firearm is the receiver. A stripped Glock or 1911 that lacks the slide, barrel, bolt, firing pin, etc is STILL CONSIDERED TO BE A FIREARM for purposes of the concealed carry prohibition. So if you habitually carry your pistol frame in the car with you for sentimental reasons, but it has no magazine or even any trigger or hammer, you are fully in violation of the statute. Makes no sense, but that's the law.

The "unloaded" part is only relevant if you have no license, are transporting it in a vehicle, and you fall within one of the dozen or so narrow exceptions. You don't need a license to transport an unloaded gun between your house and your target range, or to a gunshop for repair, or while moving residences, and a few other exemptions, but you have to be DIRECTLY traveling between the two points described in the statute, you can't even stop for a soda or to get gas.

(Allegheny County)

GunLawyer001,

That's the best non-lawyerly explanation I think I've ever seen!
    Although I already understood all of it, I don't know how anyone could be confused by what you said.

It's really that simple.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12