Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rifle

(Lycoming County)

Default New Rifle

So I will be picking up a new to me rifle tomorrow. It's a very slightly used Savage 12 Varmint Low Profile chambered in .223. I got it for $300 which I felt was a great price for it. Anyhow, it doesn't have scope mounts on it and was wondering what would be the best bang for the buck for it. I was also contemplating a new stock for it as well. I understand I probley don't need a new stock, but should I shoot it for a while and decide I would like to upgrade I would like some ideas. I have wanted a little short action rifle for some time for varmint hunting, and target shooting, this just happened to be in my price range. Any and all input is appriciated, as well as any other tips and tricks for this rifle.

Thanks,
    Corey
    We hunt to kill, kill to eat, and eat to survive...I am a member of camp wackumstackum

Default Re: New Rifle

Congratulations! That was a good buy.

I like using Weaver bases #46 and #402. The 402 is an extended base and will overhang the bolt a bit, but it does not interfere. If you choose a scope with a long tube you may not need it. I tend to switch scopes a bit, so it allows me the use of a wide range of models. Also, I find the extended base is less expensive than extended rings.

Good luck with you new find.

I'd get an EGW picatinny rail and a set of TSP rings - but that's just me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Somerset County)

Nice find. The last couple of rings I bought were Burris Signature Zee style. They go on Weaver type bases. Or you can get regular Burris Signatures that mount on Leupold style bases.

I hang out on another forum (24 hr campfire), a lot of guys there like Talley or Dednutz but I have no experience with them.

FWIW,

Dale

(Chester County)

Does it have an accu trigger?

(Lycoming County)

Yes it does have the accutrigger. It has the round top reciever. I am currently looking for a budget optic that will most likely be dedicated for this rifle, once in place will not be removed. As for bases, the only thing I know is that I want a one piece scope base, just seems like it would be a bit more rigid. I have been considering the BSA sweet .223 scope, seems like a decent price. Not expecting any extreme quality for the price, but can justify a expensive scope for a rifle I paid so little for. Any other ideas for a high magnification optic for under $200 would be considered. Thanks

Corey
    We hunt to kill, kill to eat, and eat to survive...I am a member of camp wackumstackum

(Somerset County)

The price of the rifle has nothing to do with the price of the optics. You can't shoot any better than you can see.

I'd lose a bit on the power, drop down to 4-12, maybe 4.5-14 and push the $200 limit to get better glass. Maybe even add a few $. You'll have plenty of power for varmints at 223 ranges. On a hot day at the range or in the field, mirage will probably limit your top end too.

Some suggestions, with approximate prices (from Bear Basin Outfitters).

Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 $280
    Weaver V16 4-16x42 $289
    Weaver V10 2-10x38 $180
    Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 $290
    Bushnell legend 5-15x40 $ 180
    Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 $210
    Bushnell Elite 3200 10X $185
    Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 $250

Also, I never tried them but the Pentax Gameseekers are supposed to be a hot deal and decent quality.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    The price of the rifle has nothing to do with the price of the optics. You can't shoot any better than you can see.

I'd lose a bit on the power, drop down to 4-12, maybe 4.5-14 and push the $200 limit to get better glass. Maybe even add a few $. You'll have plenty of power for varmints at 223 ranges. On a hot day at the range or in the field, mirage will probably limit your top end too.

Some suggestions, with approximate prices (from Bear Basin Outfitters).

Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 $280
    Weaver V16 4-16x42 $289
    Weaver V10 2-10x38 $180
    Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 $290
    Bushnell legend 5-15x40 $ 180
    Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 $210
    Bushnell Elite 3200 10X $185
    Leupold Rifleman 4-12x40 $250

Also, I never tried them but the Pentax Gameseekers are supposed to be a hot deal and decent quality.

Dale
    I agree with what the others have said here, limiting your price on the scope because of the price of the rifle should not be done. If you got a deal on the rifle, it's all the more reason why you should spend more on glass. I can't stress enough how much quality glass makes a difference, in clarity, resolution, repeatability, durability, etc. Out of the scopes listed, I like the Nikon Buckmaster, and the Bushnell Elite 3200. Those are great glass, they're tough, and they're not all that expensive (relatively).

I will say that the Pentax gameseekers aren't bad optics. I've hunted with a few on friend's rifles and sighted rifles in with them. I don't know how durable they are because I haven't pushed their limits, but my friend's have them on pickup guns and they're still holding zero. I shot a couple of raccoons at 300 yards with a Pentax Gameseeker one time, and a deer as well. I don't know how well they dial (haven't dialed one); but all in all for a cheap scope, they're not bad. I still think it would be a better decision to step up to the Nikon Buckmaster or one of the Bushnell Elite 3200's (don't just look at the 10x, they have variables).

(Lycoming County)

I actually have a bushnell 3200 10x already I picked up this last spring to put on a SMLE that I sporterized, and it is a good optic, I am not very nice to my equipment, and it has held zero thus far. I am set on a budget for the optic at $200 for many reasons, income being one. Setting the price that low because of what i spent on the rifle isn't probley the greatest idea agreed, but I purchased this because it was a great deal, and figured I could make it a inexpensive rifle setup that is also affordable to feed. I am certainly going to look into the Pentax, and the weavers as well. It would be nice to find a scope with the target turets, but also have covers for them as well for field use. Thank you all for the input, and by all means keep the ideas coming.

(Monroe County)

Wallly's world has a Bushnell 4-18x50 Scope for $134, not bad either but i would get the Nikon , Thats a lot of Gun for $300,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast