Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Adams County)

Default I need help reading a PCG Map.

I was looking at the map of State Game Land 249 (5A). I see an area marked Food plot along old Harrisburg Rd. I assume that is not where I can hunt though. The map is of the entire area, how do I know which parts are State Game Lands and open to the public?

If you look at the map, it is south of rt 234 at heidlersburg, and West of Rt 15. Is the green area the huntable area?

This will be my first year hunting and I really don't know much about it. I just don't want to be on somebodies land.

I also need to get my doe tags sent out. I guess my whole area is 5A so that's no big deal. I'm not planning to venture too far from home this year.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

Default Re: I need help reading a PCG Map.

1st be aware the game com often sells maps that are very old and they don't update alot , check the date your map was made , some of it may not be correct anymore , I have seen them 20yrs old and still being sold.
    2nd , the game com builds food plots on the game land , you are allowed to hunt on these food plots and it is NOT considered baiting.
    You may hunt with in the entire boundary of the game lands so long as it is not otherwise posted and you do not violate any safety zones.

oh , and the game com uses little red signs and white paint to mark the boundaries of game lands

(Adams County)

I was looking at the map on the PAGC website.

So I guess I will enter where I know the zone meets the road and just watch for signs to tell me I'm "out of bounds".
    Thanks
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

You will most likely see the white paint first , the little red signs they hang are small and blend in well and more than likely you may encounter the "other" land owners "posted" signs also near the boundary

(Franklin County)

Try this map:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/p...ties/adams.pdf

This map can be found on the GC website. On the homepage scroll down till you see county information (the multicolored map with the counties on it). Click on it.

Pick the county you want info on. Once loaded look off the bottom left corner of the map. In blue - it says something like "X" county map - click on this.

You will need Adobe Reader for these maps. The nice thing about them is they are much more detailed. All the dots and colored notations are the game co-operator farms and properties.....

These maps were just updated or are being updated. Most were done last year with money donated by US Shooting Sports (Don't qoute me on that - but some organization did donate the money).
    Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss?