Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 S&W

(Monroe County)

Default 38 S&W

I just acquired a H&R auto ejector and I have obtained all the proper supplies to reload this round. Cases, .360" bullets, dies, etc. The question I have does anyone have any tips for reloading black powder. I've been doing smokeless for years and have even made 8mm Mauser brass out of 30-06 so I am quite knowledgeable but I have not done black powder and would appreciate any tips or tricks before I start. Thank You

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: 38 S&W

Just remember BP is measured by volume, and airspace in the case is a VERY bad thing. Load about 15gr of BP per volume and seat a bullet for the 38S&W. You will compress the powder a bit.

Keep in mind, BP will shorten brass life compared to smokeless. Residue and salts that embed themselves into the brass will make it extremely brittle after just a couple firings.

If you have a 3rd model Auto-Eject H&R, you can run smokeless. 1st and 2nd model's are BP only - but there are smokeless equivalent loads that will be safe.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Thank you. I really don't plan on shotting it much. As far as I can attain its a 2nd generation from 1904 and I feel it you have a gun it should be fired. I have a powder measure for my 44 cap and ball and Lee Dippers. Do you see any problems with using that to find the right size dipper? I really appreciate any assistance.

(Jefferson County)

As long as can measure by volume, the means really doesn't matter. I use fixed black powder scoopers, and occasionally a variable flask nozzle to measure BP loads for cartridges. Be sure any scooper you use is for black powder, not a volumetric equivalent for smokeless like many of those Lee scoops are.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

(Monroe County)

Well I was thinking I could use the measurer to get the volume then find the dipper that matches the same volume. This seem like it might work

(Jefferson County)

That should work for ya.

(Monroe County)

Thank you very much. I just wasn't sure. I've always been on the cautious side and just wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly. I really appreciate your assistance

(Allegheny County)

Take a milk jug with some soapy water in it with you to the range. Drop the fired cases in it as you pull them from the gun. When you get home swish them around, drain and rinse. Then you can tumble them. That will help get rid of the BP residue and extend your case life.
    The Lord Bless You

(Luzerne County)

Why do you want to load the .38 S&W with BP? It is a very small case and you are not apt to be able to get much powder into it. As an already "mild" cartridge, a BP load would be yet milder.
    Introduced in 1877, the cartridge was available right at the beginning of the smokeless powder era. I have not been able to track down any info about it's ever having been loaded with BP - though it may well have been. I'd be interested in reading that.
    A good smokeless load is 4.5 grains of Unique and a 140-150 grain lead bullet.
    The heavier bullets like the British 200 grain use 3.5 grains of Unique.
    I understand that there may be limitations as far as the strength of the firearm is concerned. I sure would be interested in knowing more about loads involving the 38 S&W and BP - from a historical perspective.
    Pete
    Last edited by Pete D.; December 21st, 2009 at 11:46 PM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Monroe County)

From what I have been able to find online and in the few books that I have this round started out as a BP and went to smokeless much like many of the older calibers. From what I understand the steel is not as strong as modern firearms so why risk damaging a firearm that has already been around for over a hundred years. I'm not going to use it to protect my house or hunt deer. Plus I don't want to redesign my hand by using smokless in it. I just want to go to the range shoot 50 or a 100 rounds thru it put it away for a few years then repeat and when my time here is done pass it on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast