Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Want a new CCW for warm weather.

I carry a XD40SC every day. I'm getting a little tired of the printing and bulk in the warmer weather. I love the pistol, love shooting it, and I have complete confidence in it.

That said, it's freakin' bulky in the Summer. I have a Bersa Thunder .380 but after about 700 or so rounds I'm not fond of the signs of wear on the frame and slide. I had a couple FTF's the last time I shot it so I'm dumping it.

So... I've been considering a Kahr. I like the price of the new CW series, but am not fond of the pinned plastic front sight. The P series is nice, but I can't get past all I read about maybe getting a good one - bad one... I don't want uncertainty and don't mind the all steel frame anyhow as I intend to shoot this piece often.

So I thought I was all set on a K series and here comes Walther with the PPS. I really love my P22 and have shot and fell in love with a P99, but the PPs is new, which means it is also unproven.

SO help me out... K series Kahr or PPS? The PPS is slightly larger but it would be lighter than the all steel Kahr. The Kahrs are proven reliable.

I'm torn. Meanwhile I'm trying to conceal my XD subbie under T shirts. Ugh.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Want a new CCW for warm weather.

for me its either a glock 26 or a kahr k9. i know nothing about the new pp, but the kahr has been relaible as can be.

(York County)

Take a look at the Kahr MK9. A very reliable little pistol, but a bit heavy (not a pocket gun) and expensive (worth it though).
    Or, look into a Taurus 851 Multialloy. Quite light little .38 Spl for pocket carry.
    Don't limit yourself to semi-autos.

(York County)

The MK is just too small for my big mitts. The K model is small too, but I have shot one and it is comfortable enough to work. I have even considered the T series. I don't mind the 3.5 or even a 4" barrel, as I intend to carry IWB at 3-4 o'clock. What attracts me to the Kahr and the new PPS is that they are both very thin.

I haven't given wheel guns very serious consideration to be honest. They definitely have their up-sides but I prefer a semi auto. It's just a personal preference.

IMO your not looking at anything with big enough difference in size that your really going to beable to tell... maybe a single stack will print less but i doubt your gonna see a huge difference unless you look at a j-frame or something like the kahr PM series or kel-tec p-11 but neither are proven weapons to say the least and when you get into the .380 you give up alot of stopping power

(Montgomery County)

I still carry a full size Beretta px4 until they release the px4 sub compact(13+1 in 9mm) next January. Kahr pm9 is a good choice but I will be buying a px4 sub compact for next summer.

(Wayne County)

Smile Re: Want a new CCW for warm weather.

Hi I have a Kel Tec P11 in 9 mm that I sometimes carry. It fits in most of my pants pockets including dress pants and my suite. I have fired Cor Bon 125 +p and Speer Gold Dot 124 +p's without ever having a problem and no unusual signs of wear and no signs of damage. It's not the best looking pistol and the trigger pull is not the smoothest but it is more then manageable. With distances from 10 to 15 feet it keeps them well inside center mass. The price is also very reasonable especially since I purchased mine used.

(Philadelphia County)

It's probably something you are doing that is making you print (holster, belt clothing choices). i carry a G19 year round with no such problems. That being said, it's way cheaper to fix the problems with how you're carrying than buying a new gun.

(Delaware County)

I have the CW9, at least couple thousand rounds thru it. Most often I practice with it at about 7 to 10 yards and have gotten pretty good at that range. I have also practiced at 25 yards, my shots are not as accurate but still all on the paper. If I could have afforded it I may have gone with the P9 version (exact same size) just to be able to put night sights on it, but other than that the CW9 has always performed well and is a great pocket and/or IWB gun

(Franklin County)

You're right about the uncertainty of the P-series Kahrs. My dad just got a Kahr PM9 recently, and I'd totally recommend it since it's rediculously light and thin, if it weren't for the fact that it started having trigger-reset issues a few days ago.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pistols-4...m-options.html

Hopefully Kahr has good customer service.
    Last edited by Cheeseybacon; August 6th, 2007 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast