Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Why do you "need" an assault rifle?

Just a thought, maybe instead of a snarky answer, one could take the high road and provide an answer both true and correct that would result in actual knowledge being passed on and just perhaps one more person who may have been on the fence about the subject to now seek more knowledge in the world of firearms. I know, I know that cuts into just how cool our little elite club is, and I mean jeez who wants to be a part of something everyone else is.

An ounce of kindness would have saved rome...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by habuch View Post
    What most people are calling assult rifles are not assult rifles. Assult rifles are fully automatic. Most people with AR's and AK's actually have a semi auto sporter version of an assult rifle. In some states (not PA) these are commonly used for hunting. When ignorant people see these semi autos they assume that they are fully automatic and freak out. My response is always i don't need one I want one and I hope i never do need one.
    Yeah... explaining that to non-gun people is harder than you think.

Most just flat out don't believe you because it looks the same.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGuy View Post
    Anyone ever get this question?

I'm at a bar last night, chatting it up with some guy and we're talking guns, and when I started listing my AK's and AR's, this off-duty [eavesdropping] waitress springs the question.

I just sort of looked at her and rolled my eyes due to the tone in her voice when she asked, but this is not the first time I have been asked this question.

Anyone have any witty answers to this?
    Reply for those who make that query, whilst they are sucking up and drinking the kool aid served by our confiscation-minded future totalitarian enforcers: "I need it to pursue happiness. Comrade."

(Allegheny County)

1. First of all, what "I" have are not assault rifles (unless you really do, then I envy you). Assault rifles are select-fire, and are what the military uses. My rifles are semi-automatic, and only look like those military rifles.

2. I have them because it's a hobby, and because I can. I may not need it, but it's nice to have. Most people don't NEED make-up, fast cars, fancy cell phones, nice shoes, but they do because a) they can, b) it helps them in enjoying life, c) well, they can!

3. Any of the above mentioned self-defense scenarios

4. The constitution and citizen responsibility. The 2nd Amend. is there to protect us from a tyrannical government by giving people the ability to arm themselves. If (and when) a government oppresses its people, they will be using force. It is important that those citizens have a means to stand up against that force. In this case, firearms such as assault-style/type rifles similar to those used by organized military helps level the playing field.

5. I don't question your hobby, and how much you spend on collecting stamps, make-up, large screen TV, seasonal Christmas tree and decoration, etc. Why should you question mine as long as it's legal?

6. More people are killed by golf-clubs, baseball bats, cars, alcohol, cigarettes, kitchen knives, and other common tools. Every time I purchase a firearm from a dealer, I have to go through a criminal background check - can you say the same about those deadly kitchen knives and garage tools?

Of course.... they won't listen to any of these :P

(Lehigh County)

Depending on the "tone". If the person is an asshole then:

1) Because going to the range with my (insert EBR here) I get to blow off some steam. It is completely theraputic, and keeps me from climbing the water tower with my other rifles..... When they start off spouting the Brady bunch slogans, I explain to them the value of common courtesy and if they want to continue to be an asshole, so will I. If they would like to discuss this like an adult I am willing to do so and go into response #2.

If the person is just curious:

2) Have you ever shot a gun? Then you would not understand if I explained it to you. If you would like to discuss this issue more, you need to experience it first hand in order for you to have a valid arguement. I would be willing to take you with me the next time I shoot and we can discuss your feelings over a beer.

In the past 2 years I have broken in 3 newbies (all women, threads are posted on PaFOA) all have purchased guns, two of them also got their LTCF in Lebannon county.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

I was at a party (back in the 60's) and a pretty young thing asked me the same thing and added that is was really more than I needed. I told her that all she really "needed" was 2 band-aids and a cork so why did she feel the need to go around fully clothed....everyone there cracked up and she turned a beautiful shade of red and walked away.

(Chester County)

Most of the answers I would say have been mentioned. Hobby, I legally can, its not an assault weapon etc.

But lets not forget a little variety

(Allegheny County)

Because I understand the REAL meaning of the second amendment.

(Allegheny County)

"Why do I need an assault rifle?" because over a million Americans and counting died so I could have one. its that simple.
    I needs the following... .303 ammo, scrap steel, and and cheap SKS. please LMK

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Has001 View Post
    What? You need a reason?

My hope is that when I die, my wife doesn't sell my rifles for what I told her I paid for them
    No shit....
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast