Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Left PA - Is My LTCF Still Valid?

I grew up in Pittsburgh and got a LTCF when I turned 21.

I have since moved to Washington State. I got a WA DL and a WA CPL (Concealed Pistol License) and I am now a Washington State resident. Unfortunately, WA CPLs are not reciprocal with PA.

I just called the Allegheny County Sheriff's office and they confirmed that my LTCFs is still good and I will be able to carry concealed when I go back to Pittsburgh for Christmas next week.

So...I looked at my LTCF and realized it expires in 2011. I asked them:

"I understand that state law permits non-residents to have a PA LTCF...when when this expires, I can renew without a problem, right?"

They said no, told me that Allegheny County does NOT issue non-residential LTCFs. They said they didn't know why and got frustrated with me when I told them they were violating state law.

Before they cut the conversation short and hung-up they told me to check into "out of state permits" in Washington...and that's it.

So...I get the impression this is pretty common after looking at this:

http://www.pafoa.org/counties?county...esidentLTCFs=1

1) How does Allegheny County continue to violate state law without any legal challenge?

2) I noticed that a few counties in the Pittsburgh area (Beaver, Mercer and Clarion) all offer non-residential permits. Does anyone have experience with this process? It's about a year and a half off - but if its a huge hassle, I'll just get a Utah permit and Allegheny County can go without my renewal money. I can only assume a Utah permit is what they meant by an "out of state permit."

Thanks!
    Last edited by Benjamin455; December 16th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Left PA - Is My LTCF Still Valid?

When your time comes...just go thru Centre County...they seem to be the go-to for out of state residents.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    When your time comes...just go thru Centre County...they seem to be the go-to for out of state residents.
    +1

I was originally a WV resident and went through Centre County for my Non-resident.

They are the best in the country.
    Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    +2. I was a MA resident when I applied for mine and it took like 8 days from mailbox to mailbox

Centre and some other counties will issue you a non res.
    FUCK BIDEN

Benjamin455... call back and ask to speak to the sheriff. If you have a WA CPL, as you say, and you have obviously passsed the PICS/NICS checks, he legally cannot deny you a PA LTCF as you will have met the requirements for a non-res. LTCF. And you can quote him the following:

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses

(a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth.

<snip>

(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

<snip

(ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

(Chester County)

More importantly, they said your LTCF is still valid even though you moved!

I know it says valid unless revoked or expired, but I am moving out of state, but was wondering if my permit as still valid!

I guess we won't know until it goes to court (?), but it seems like it should be!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix_iii View Post
    More importantly, they said your LTCF is still valid even though you moved!

I know it says valid unless revoked or expired, but I am moving out of state, but was wondering if my permit as still valid!

I guess we won't know until it goes to court (?), but it seems like it should be!
    Being a PA resident is NOT a requirement to keeping your LTCF...you'll be good even after you move.