Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Concerning the AR-15

Hey guys, I'm back, and i have a new question that many of you may be able to answer. I have heard about it almost everywhere and anywhere. See it almost all the time but know so very little about this dynamic, durable piece of weaponry. Thats right, you guessed it: the AR-15 Assult Rifle. When I first joined the PAFOA, I was beat over the head with news of the thing, or people just blogginig and showing of their customizations and variants of the rifle. Though some may be able to look at it and say, without a shadow of a doubt, that its an AR-15 instead of an M-4m, I am most certainly not one of them. So please, PAFOA, please help me clense myself of my ignorance and reveal to me the differences between these two wonderful weapons.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Concerning the AR-15

Short and sweet,

AR-15, a long barrel, semi automatic, civilian version of the M-16 (also has different designations depending on who makes it).

AR-15 Carbine, a short barrel version of the previously described gun (again, has many different designations, dependent on the manufacturer).

The M4 is a carbine version of the M16 (short barrel), the M-16 is typically a long barrel (20"). The "M4" is routinely used, abet incorrectly, in identifying an AR-15 (civilian model) carbine. The M4 is the military designation for a semi/burst mode weapon, the M4A1 is the military designation for the semi/full auto version (both of which are illegal to own unless you have found one to buy [very expensive] and have gone through the proper channels and paid the proper taxes).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Concerning the AR-15

Like Ron said.

A few of us generically use the term "M4rgery" because about EVERY AR maker offers a legal-length, civvie-legal, semi AR in the "M4" style carbine. And "M4rgery" is a brand-agnostic term.

Unless you want to start a 10-page thread of arguments, use the search for brand recommendations, as you will find a wealth of opinions on what's out there.

A long-bbl AR-15 rifle has the potential for greater accuracy due to the longer sight radius you have over the shorter carbines, but they just don't look as cool.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.