Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22LR Ammo

(Westmoreland County)

Default 22LR Ammo

What is some decent quality stuff at reasonable prices? Need to get away from the milk carton stuff. If available locally (walmart, etc.) all the better. Looking for good reliability & decent groups (not match, but say 2" at 50 yds.).

Saw some Aguila, Fiocchi, Remigton Golden Bullit, & Winchester Wildcat on Ammunition-To-Go for approx. $6/100. Is this decent quality stuff?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: 22LR Ammo

All 22 rifles are very different animals as to what they like best,So what my barrel liked yours may hate. With that said I have had good luck in several rifles with common and easily found Rem. subsonics and Winchester power Points .A big step up in accuracy is the Wolf match ,still reasonable price for accurate ammo. So go buy a box of everything you can get easily and shoot it if your serious about finding the most accurate for your barrel.

Tim

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    All 22 rifles are very different animals as to what they like best,So what my barrel liked yours may hate. With that said I have had good luck in several rifles with common and easily found Rem. subsonics and Winchester power Points .A big step up in accuracy is the Wolf match ,still reasonable price for accurate ammo. So go buy a box of everything you can get easily and shoot it if your serious about finding the most accurate for your barrel.

Tim
    Good Advise - thanks!

(Bucks County)

Ill agree with that, but would like to mention Federal 510 as a good candidate.

(Monroe County)

most of the Federal bulk packs are good. run between 13 and 15 bucks for a box of 510 or 550. available at walmart, sometimes. they go really fast.

the winchester 555 and 333 packs are the same as availability, but in my opinion are crap.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Lawrence County)

Wolf MT is excellent. Wolf rimfire ammo is WAY different than the common centerfire stuff.

Shoots inside a dime at 50 yards for me.

LycanCZ452thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Jefferson County)

Watch out for Aguila ammo. They make a lot of subsonic ammunition. I bought a brick of it with the intents of quieter target practice with my Ruger MkIII, but the ammo I got has no powder it only uses the primer to propel the bullet. So the ammo not only can't run an auto pistol's action but there isn't enough power to propel it out of rifles apparently. The ammo is also shorter than standard .22LR, and it won't fit in my Mk III's magazines. I'm currently trying to find a local person I know to give a brick of the stuff, if I could find anyone who has a .22LR revolver.

But yea, the main thing is finding ammo that your gun likes. Buy anything you can local in small quantities and see which shoots the best for you out of the gun. Go with that!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post
    Watch out for Aguila ammo. They make a lot of subsonic ammunition. I bought a brick of it with the intents of quieter target practice with my Ruger MkIII, but the ammo I got has no powder it only uses the primer to propel the bullet. So the ammo not only can't run an auto pistol's action but there isn't enough power to propel it out of rifles apparently. The ammo is also shorter than standard .22LR, and it won't fit in my Mk III's magazines. I'm currently trying to find a local person I know to give a brick of the stuff, if I could find anyone who has a .22LR revolver.

But yea, the main thing is finding ammo that your gun likes. Buy anything you can local in small quantities and see which shoots the best for you out of the gun. Go with that!
    Me Me Me! I'm local! ..well, on weekends(damn work takes me away).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Cumberland County)

Try Eley sport. My 10/22 loves the stuff and will shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards with it. 1/2 the price of Wolf and other match ammo. But its all in what your gun likes. Get some of all and find the best round for your gun and price range.
    http://www.eley.co.uk/ammunition/products/sport.aspx
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=388288

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by levib View Post

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Me Me Me! I'm local! ..well, on weekends(damn work takes me away).
    I bought some of this stuff to shoot out of one of my revolvers. It did what it was supposed to.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast