Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default regular or unleaded

Stupid question: How do I know if a bullet is made from lead? There isn't an "ingredients" list on the box, it just says full metal jacketed. I know, don't laugh.

Edit: Sorry for posting in the wrong place, I just noticed there was an ammunition forum.
    Last edited by Bondslave; August 3rd, 2007 at 08:02 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: regular or unleaded

Almost all bullets are made from lead. Full metal jacket just means that the bullet is cased in a copper jacket that encases the entire lead core. Sometimes the base of the bullet is encased in copper as well but normally the core is exposed there.

You can find some bullets that aren't made from lead but they are usually bi-metal bullets and most armor piercing rounds aren't made of lead. (Not recommended to load and shoot unless you find out which ones are legal.)
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Centre County)

Default Re: regular or unleaded

Also, if not a lead core the box normally will tell you, ie. total copper bullet, or full metal jacket with steel core. The assumption is, if it doesn't say you can assume the gray material is lead. Sometimes the box will say, ie LHBWC (lead, hollow base wadcutter) or it might say Lead, Round Nose. And if you buy cast bullets they are lead with a few other metals blended in to make them harder.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member