Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default New Device Makes Guns More Accurate

http://www.livescience.com/technolog...ntent=My+Yahoo

New Device Makes Guns More Accurate
    By LiveScience Staff posted: 11 December 2009 01:16 pm ET
    . University of Alabama,

Birmingham

A new technology may make it easier for gun owners to improve their marksmanship.

Opti-sight, a new pistol-aiming device, was developed to reduce the time law enforcement, professional and amateur shooters need for target practice to get better results at the firing range.

Typically, shooters use an optical device known as a "sight" to take aim before firing on a target. Traditional pistol sight designs rely on a square post mounted on the front of the gun's barrel that is visually centered inside a notch on the back of the barrel. Shooters use the two pieces to align the barrel with the target when firing. This method, saysTimothy Kraft, an associate professor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham who designed the device, takes considerable time to master as the brain must work to reconcile inconsistencies seen through the notch, post and target.

"The way a traditional gunsight works is all very disconnected," Kraft said. "In order to get a good shot off you have to visually scan the gap between the front post and rear sight on the left and equalize that to the gap on the right, then align all that with the center of the target. It is too much for the eye and brain to process."

The opti-sight notch also sits atop the rear of the gun barrel, but differs in that it is shaped like an incomplete half-triangle. Kraft says the new design fixes previous flaws by taking advantage of the way the subconscious mind fills in the blanks upon seeing half of a familiar shape like a circle, square, or triangle. So when a shooter looks through the notch, the brain tells the eye where the missing triangle apex should appear and that apex is the precise point of aim.

"Opti-sight makes shooting very intuitive by allowing gunsight alignment to become subconscious," said Kraft, who competes against some of the nation's best pistol shooters and has worked with members of the U.S. Olympic pistol team to test his opti-sight design.

"This triangular shape that I've created allows the brain to visualize concentric triangles whose imaginary apexes focus the shooter's attention on the exact target bullseye," he said.

Default Re: New Device Makes Guns More Accurate

I could have sworn there were already triangular shaped sights on the market that work quite well already.

eta: http://www.suresight.com/

Yep.

(Washington County)

Ive seen that one beforfe, ut wondered how it would work with a holster or clothing when drawing.

I like the idea of a peep sight personally, after shooting a few rifles with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Ive seen that one beforfe, ut wondered how it would work with a holster or clothing when drawing.

I like the idea of a peep sight personally, after shooting a few rifles with them.
    The idea is there but on a pistol...ehh. I've shot ghost rings on a few pistols before, and for me they're not as fast. You may have different results though. On a rifle you get the aperture close to your eye and focus on the front blade. On a pistol the ring has to be large since it is relatively further from your eye.

I shoot pistol both eyes open, ghost ring adds some difficulties (again, just for me) for me when shooting pistols with them.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I could have sworn there were already triangular shaped sights on the market that work quite well already.

eta: http://www.suresight.com/

Yep.
    exactly what I was thinking. I thought he had designed some sort eotech sight that replaced the rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by autotech6506 View Post
    exactly what I was thinking. I thought he had designed some sort eotech sight that replaced the rear sight.
    and even then, there are sights like the docter that were made with pistols in mind.

(Allegheny County)

in other news, someone invented a new device that makes cars move easier.

the device consists of a hollowed out donut shaped piece of rubber mounted on a steel disc and filled with pressurized air. one of these devices is attached to each corner of the car.

experts say this will allow the car to "roll" rather than "slide", thus decreasing the amount of friction and making the engine work much less hard to move the car.

F*S=k

I thought this was going to be a joke, and you were going to post a Krispy Kreme picture and claim that it made shooting more accurate because it makes targets bigger...just shows where my mind is at recently....I apopgize for my stupididty...
    That said:

How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Beaver County)

so....he invented the sights of a kel-tec P3AT?