Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Got another question...

Hello everyone, i am back with a new question. So i have made up my mind about the pistol that i want. I am looking at a Glock 21 which, as some of you may know, fires the .45 auto, but whilelooking at this weapon i saw a round called a .45 G.A.P.. being the beginer i am i have absolutely no earthly clue as to what it stands for. Anyone got an idea?

(York County)

Default Re: Got another question...

Google is your friend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_GAP
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Westmoreland County)

In short...

G.A.P. stands for "Glock Automatic Pistol".

The .45 G.A.P. pistol cartridge was designed by an engineer with CCI/Speer, at the request of Glock to provide a cartridge that would equal the power of the .45 ACP but was shorter to fit in a more compact handgun.

Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
    Hello everyone, i am back with a new question. So i have made up my mind about the pistol that i want. I am looking at a Glock 21 which, as some of you may know, fires the .45 auto, but whilelooking at this weapon i saw a round called a .45 G.A.P.. being the beginer i am i have absolutely no earthly clue as to what it stands for. Anyone got an idea?
    45 GAP is a specific cal & completely different than 45 Auto (aka 45 APC). There are other 45 calibers too, so be careful when buying ammo.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    45 GAP is a specific cal & completely different than 45 Auto (aka 45 APC). There are other 45 calibers too, so be careful when buying ammo.
    Sorry. I meant cartridge. They're both 45 cal.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Tioga County)

Uh, .45 ACP?

USNRET '61-'81

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    Uh, .45 ACP?
    .45 Automatic Colt Pistol

(Allegheny County)

(aka 45 APC)
    sounds scary....something like .45 Armor Piercing Copkiller?

better ban 'em.

actually, that might not be a bad strategy for diverting the antis. we should start a bunch of rumors about a new armor piercing cop killer bullet called the .45 APC.

the anti's will get all worked up and spend the next 2 years getting the non-existent bullets banned...which will distract them from targeting anything that actually exists. hmmm...

F*S=k

(Chester County)

So how about that stuff in a regular .45 ACP? If slightly shorter but of equal power, sounds like it would interchange in a .45 ACP chamber without difficulty?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    So how about that stuff in a regular .45 ACP? If slightly shorter but of equal power, sounds like it would interchange in a .45 ACP chamber without difficulty?
    are you asking about firing .45 GAP from a .45 ACP chambered gun?

if so, very bad idea...as firing rounds from guns not chambered for that round pretty much always is.

it will not fit in the chamber correctly. i've never dropped a .45 GAP round into a .45 chamber, but in theory it will go too far into the chamber and the firing pin will not hit the primer. if somehow, that doesn't happen, the shorter round will cause the bullet to not go far enough "forward" into the throat of the chamber. there will be space where there should not be space. that can lead to very bad things...like KABOOM!
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; December 9th, 2009 at 02:46 PM.
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast