Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Unhappy "References" for a permit.

I moved here because I meet my GF on the Internet. I lived in Montgomery all my life before that.

I'd like to get a new permit (Have had permit for 15 years in Montgomery). Unfortunately I don't have anyone who lives here I could list on my application as a reference.

I live in a "rundown" area because it's cheap. I've been laid off since January so I can't ask anyone at work. Most of my neighbors have unpaid drinking fines (Told you it was bad area) so they aren't good to put on the application.

I'm not from around here and you can't list someone you live with (My fiancée) or family members (Nearest one lives in Laxkawanna County any way) it says on the form.

Anybody have any suggestions? doug.cowdrick at gmail.com

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: "References" for a permit.

There is no requirement that the references must be from the same area as you are, however........the sheriffs will tell you differently.

(Franklin County)

Just use the same reference you used the last time. As Steve noted, the need not be from your area of residence, or even in PA for that matter. Family members may not be used as references, but the last time a checked, a fiancee was not "family".
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

Question Re: "References" for a permit.

We have the same address, so I don't think it'll work using her. I'm still trying to figure out WHERE the reference must sign as the permit instructions say. The block are so small and the .pdf form doesn't accept typed fields.

http://www.luzernecounty.org/content...ICATIONnew.pdf <--- Link to application.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dco777 View Post
    We have the same address, so I don't think it'll work using her. I'm still trying to figure out WHERE the reference must sign as the permit instructions say. The block are so small and the .pdf form doesn't accept typed fields.

http://www.luzernecounty.org/content...ICATIONnew.pdf <--- Link to application.

Call the Sheriff's Dept and ask them. The problem is that they are using what appears to be the PA state form, and PA does not require signatures for references. Your Sheriff is making that up for his own reasons.

I think you will find that you can print that .pdf and you will end up with a usable form, as far as size goes. If your privacy is an issue, have your references sign before you add any of your own info.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Call the Sheriff's Dept and ask them. The problem is that they are using what appears to be the PA state form, and PA does not require signatures for references. Your Sheriff is making that up for his own reasons.

I think you will find that you can print that .pdf and you will end up with a usable form, as far as size goes. If your privacy is an issue, have your references sign before you add any of your own info.
    Curmudgeon is correct, the law does not require references to physically sign the application, and the Sheriff may not impose additional requirements.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Use this application. Its the "generic" application as put out by the state police.

Yours is the first time i saw a sheriff changed the actual application. Some add illegal requirements but this is a first for the application.

References can not be related...doesn't say they can't live with you. Even your app. doesn't say they can't live with you. So you CAN use your GF. You can also use anybody from your previous location.

(Luzerne County)

Default Revised PDF file for Luzerne County.

I don't have any place online to post it but a on-line "friend" used his Adobe PDF Editor to make it possible to type in the fields on the form. You can't save your info but you can print it out typed in.

I can email it to you, email me at doug.cowdrick at gmail.com and I'll send it to you. That's my "public" email addy so I get tons of spam every day. If your mail ends up in the spam" folder I might not reply to you. I only check it once a day so don''t expect instant service but I'll get it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Use this application....

References can not be related...doesn't say they can't live with you.
    On the application it says "not family members" That, I believe, is a very vague term. Can a person be a relative but not a family member? Does that include "step" relatives?

The LTCF application certainly needs an upgrade with clarifications on several issues and the sheriffs (and Philly police) need to be made to follow the requirements to the letter...

YEAH RIGHT

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dco777 View Post
    I moved here because I meet my GF on the Internet. I lived in Montgomery all my life before that.

I'd like to get a new permit (Have had permit for 15 years in Montgomery). Unfortunately I don't have anyone who lives here I could list on my application as a reference.
    If your Montgomery County permit has not expired yet, contact the Montgomery County Sheriff's deprtment and give them your new address, they will create a new card for you with the new address, even if it is outside Montgomery County. When it expires then apply for one in your new county, you should know people by then in the county (even though this is not required under state law).

When I moved to Northampton county in 2005, my permit did not expire until late 2008. Montgomery county had no problem updating my address and issuing an updated permit. I then applied for a new permit in Northampton county in 2008, before my old one expired.

My wife also got her first LTCF in 2008. She moved to PA in 2005 from NJ. She used two life long friend in NJ as her references.

Hope this helps.