Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question BEST CONCEALED CARRY WEAPON FOR A DISABLED MALE IN WHEELCHAIR

Hi Everyone:

I am disabled and use a motorized wheelchair to get around. I would like to get a revolver for Conceal Carry and Home Defense once I get my CCW permit. My upper body strength is good. I am right handed; my dexterity is fair but better in my right hand then my left hand. I do not stand much, so my legs are weak.

I would like to stay in the price range of somewhere between $300 - $500 without giving up quality or reliable if possible. Depending how much the price difference would be, having a set of Crimson Trace Lasergrips would be nice. I know that it is usually cheaper to buy the gun with the grips already installed verses buying them as an aftermarket product.

What barrel length would be best for concealed carry and way? I would think a longer barrel would reduce recoil and make the weapon easier to manage/shoot.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated. I am sure there will be several different opinions.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: BEST CONCEALED CARRY WEAPON FOR A DISABLED MALE IN WHEELCHAIR

According to your preferences for a revolver (I am a wheel gun guy myself) I would recommend the Smith and Wesson 386 Night Guard. The 386 is a 7 shot .357 with night sights already installed. The problem with that recommendation is that it is very much outside of your price range.

The concealment potential of a wheelchair should make it quite easy to conceal a 4 inch revolver or full sized auto pistol. Do you have experience with different kinds of handguns? Find a local range that rents out weapons or make some friends from the various forums and do a range day with them to shoot a wide variety of handguns. Find out what you like, what works best and what you can shoot well with before buying if possible.

If you were up for an autoloading pistol I would recommend a used Sig P229 in 9mm, but that is just my opinion. In short, do some shooting before you buy.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Bruce Eimer writes a column "The Armed Senior Citizen" and a lot of it applies to the disabled as well. There is a list of articles on his web site at http://www.personaldefensesolutions.net/articles.htm, and about 2/3 of the way down there is one specifically on wheelchair carry and another on the disabled.

Good to hear from someone from Youngstown. I grew up there (Austintown) a few decades back. I was elated to find a Handel's ice cream place here in the Philly 'burbs!

(Allegheny County)

Much of it will come down to what you can handle. Can you steady the weight of a full size gun and hold it on target? Can you manage the recoil of that gun? Is the trigger too heavy?

Decide between revolver and auto-loader. Are you the type to understand the mechanics of an auto or do you need the simplicity of a revolver? Can you handle (physically) the characteristics of each that make it unique. For instance, my mother doesn't have the upper body strength to reliably rack a slide. I guided her toward a revolver. She does great with her SP101.

And yes, the larger/heavier the gun, the less you will perceive recoil as the gun's mass and its inertia will help absorb that energy.

(Montgomery County)

Hi,

If you want a revolver for concealed carry AND home defense, my best recommendation at this time would be Ruger's new LCR 5-shot small frame snubnose revolver. It shoots 38 special. Price range w/o laser grips for it new is around $475. I think.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/produc...index.html?r=y

Gun has a great trigger, it weighs only 13 ozs, and it is very shootable.

Crimson Trace Laser Grips are nice with small frame revolvers, and I have them on my Smith and Wesson J-frames. However, quite honestly, the factory grips on the LCR are so comfortable, I opted to NOT put the laser grips on my copy.

/Bruce Eimer
    http://www.DefensiveHandguns.com
    Last edited by Bruce Eimer; December 8th, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: correction

(Allegheny County)

Whatever gun you decide to buy, this looks like a nice option to have. I'm sure you could find one for a revolver.
    http://www.scotworksllc.com/holster.html

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by dsawi52695 View Post
    Hi Everyone:

I am disabled and use a motorized wheelchair to get around. I would like to get a revolver for Conceal Carry and Home Defense once I get my CCW permit. My upper body strength is good. I am right handed; my dexterity is fair but better in my right hand then my left hand. I do not stand much, so my legs are weak.

I would like to stay in the price range of somewhere between $300 - $500 without giving up quality or reliable if possible. Depending how much the price difference would be, having a set of Crimson Trace Lasergrips would be nice. I know that it is usually cheaper to buy the gun with the grips already installed verses buying them as an aftermarket product.

What barrel length would be best for concealed carry and way? I would think a longer barrel would reduce recoil and make the weapon easier to manage/shoot.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated. I am sure there will be several different opinions.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and cooperation. I hope to hear from you soon,

David
    Hi David,
    That is a tough question for anyone to decide. I would recommend locating a range where you can rent a variety of hand guns and try several. I don't know where you are located, but Pocono Pistol Club in Stroudsburg rents for $10.00. The best part is... you don't have to clean it when you're finished. That's worth the $10.00 just so I don't have to clean it.
    There is a trade off between size and handling characteristics. Obviously, the smaller the gun the more concealable. Caliber will also affect the handling. Larger calibers in a smaller hand gun have more recoil. Smaller calibers tend to hold more rounds in a comparably sized firearm.

As for the grips, laser grips are fine. However, I recommend not substituting good shooting technique and skills with gimmicks. Most shootings occur at very close distances. For defensive purposes, don't confuse defensive shooting with bullseye shooting.

Good luck.
    Nick

I hope that helps. Good luck.

(Bucks County)

Almost a LIB .... ertarian

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rikilii View Post
    I got a kick out of that, LMAO

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    I got a kick out of that, LMAO
    In all fairness, I think this should probably be limited to a SHTF scenario and not every day carry.

Otherwise, it'll ruin it for all of us.

In all seriousness, however, do you wish to conceal it on your person, or on the chair? The latter might be a little complicated because a sitting position might be difficult to draw from with any weapon at or around your waistline, and carrying in a shoulder harness would require some heavy clothing to conceal.

In any event, you should get the "biggest" weapon you can comfortably keep on you and still be able to access it quickly. By biggest, I don't mean biggest size, but biggest capacity/firepower.

There are lots of good quality automatics in your price range, including at the lower end of it. If you'd be willing to consider an automatic, I'd be happy to list all the ones I considered before purchasing one right in the middle of your price range.
    Last edited by rikilii; December 8th, 2009 at 08:50 PM.
    Almost a LIB .... ertarian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast