Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default DC lawsuit about out of state purchasing of firearms

You can find the original article here. Full details are available with the article, but here's a relevant excerpt:

A gun rights group has sued the Justice Department to overturn this prohibition, which became law as part of the Gun Control Act of 1968, and the case is now in front of U.S. District Judge James Robertson in Washington, D.C.

Narrowly speaking, the Second Amendment Foundation has filed the Hodgkins v. Holder suit on behalf of American citizens who live abroad and would like to buy firearms when they return for a visit (but can't because Form 4473 requires them to list what U.S. state they live in). More broadly, it could restore Americans' right to buy handguns while traveling across state lines as long as they undergo the normal federal background check.

Federal law says that, in general, it is unlawful for a dealer to sell a handgun to "any person who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in the state." Rules for buying a rifle or shotgun are a little less strict.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: DC lawsuit about out of state purchasing of firearms

Thanks for the post. That could have some pretty good implications for the resident gun owners of communist states like NJ and NY if the case is won.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    Thanks for the post. That could have some pretty good implications for the resident gun owners of communist states like NJ and NY if the case is won.
    They'd probably just consider any guns bought outside the state to be illegal to own within the state unless you jump through the same hoops...main thing it'd do is help residents of DC who have to have their guns transferred in (I remember a newspaper article saying there was no gun stores in DC and the only FFL charges something like $100 or so)

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    They'd probably just consider any guns bought outside the state to be illegal to own within the state unless you jump through the same hoops...main thing it'd do is help residents of DC who have to have their guns transferred in (I remember a newspaper article saying there was no gun stores in DC and the only FFL charges something like $100 or so)
    Isn't that the truth!

Now if we could get the full auto ban reversed! We could all be happy again, as my favorite saying goes... HAPPINESS IS A BELT FED WEAPON.
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by nlcrsn View Post
    Now if we could get the full auto ban reversed! We could all be happy again, as my favorite saying goes... HAPPINESS IS A BELT FED WEAPON.
    HAPPINESS IS NOT cleaning a beltfed weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    More broadly, it could restore Americans' right to buy handguns while traveling across state lines as long as they undergo the normal federal background check.
    And there it is right there in black and white.

Why shouldn't ANYONE that can pass a federal background check be prohibited from buying them out of state and then returning to the state they live in?

The ENTIRE pics (or whatever each state calls it) process is based on federal information ... if that's good it shouldn't matter one bit!

Thanks for posting this Jeff, hope to hell these people are able to wake some people up. I doubt it but here's holding out hope.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    And there it is right there in black and white.

Why shouldn't ANYONE that can pass a federal background check be prohibited from buying them out of state and then returning to the state they live in?

The ENTIRE pics (or whatever each state calls it) process is based on federal information ... if that's good it shouldn't matter one bit!

Thanks for posting this Jeff, hope to hell these people are able to wake some people up. I doubt it but here's holding out hope.
    That shocked me (not anymore, now that I know a lot more) when I first began buying firearms that I couldn't buy one in another state if I could pass a federal background check. It just doesn't make sense to me... then again, I also don't think the thousands of different gun laws, different in every state and even city makes any sense. I believe there should be one set of gun laws for the entire country... only problem is that if that did happen the entire country would probably have gun laws similar to Chicago instead of Vermont. Sorry. Small rant.