Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default River Valley Surplus, Ridgway, anyone been there?

I drive by this place about once a week, I am going north in the morning, around 4am, so of course they are closed, on the way back, I can never tell if they are open since their door is not facing the road and since they don't have an Open sign on the "rear" of the bldg, south bound drivers can't tell if they are open.

I drive a truck and can park on the street (more like on the sidewalk, it's not posted so it doesn't bother me a bit), but is it worth it?

I looked at their website, but found no posted hours. It says they carry AR parts and accesories, military arms and ammo in military calibers but the site has not been updated since 2007.

I got the number from their site and can call regarding hours, but was looking for opinions before I resort to quadruple parking alongside the street.

Are they worth a look or not?

(Elk County)

Default Re: River Valley Surplus, Ridgway, anyone been there?

I'm in there about 1x-2x a month. It's the kind of place that you never know what you're going to find. He'll have primers when other shops don't, but he doesn't always have primers. What he has this month may be different from what he has next month. Some of the new guns don't move fast, but the used stuff moves fast because the owner likes to turn stuff so he prices used guns VERY reasonable.

The front room is guns, the back room is military surplus and other stuff. Good place for decent commercially-made hunting and outdoor boots. The stock is kinda disorganized, a lot of stuff piled here and there, but the owner is pretty outgoing and is kinda easy to deal with. Don't be afraid to ask for a best price; some days the owner is prone to giving some good deals.

If you see vehicles in the lot in front of the front door, he's open.

Noah

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I'm in there about 1x-2x a month. It's the kind of place that you never know what you're going to find. He'll have primers when other shops don't, but he doesn't always have primers. What he has this month may be different from what he has next month. Some of the new guns don't move fast, but the used stuff moves fast because the owner likes to turn stuff so he prices used guns VERY reasonable.

The front room is guns, the back room is military surplus and other stuff. Good place for decent commercially-made hunting and outdoor boots. The stock is kinda disorganized, a lot of stuff piled here and there, but the owner is pretty outgoing and is kinda easy to deal with. Don't be afraid to ask for a best price; some days the owner is prone to giving some good deals.

If you see vehicles in the lot in front of the front door, he's open.

Noah
    Thanks, I'll check him out, but the cars in the front lot still does not help me too much when I'm coming from Bradford, I can't exactly cut through Sheetz's parking lot with a 53' trailer in tow.

Next time I'm up that way, I'll just call ahead when I'm leaving Bradford and check to see if he's open, then I can quadruple park on the sidewalk.

Thanks again.

(Mercer County)

My girlfriend was going to tranfer a gun to a guy there, with Ralph Drussia. When the guy who was going to be buying the gun off of her called to see when the transfer could be done, he was told by Drussia that he couldn't have the gun transferred because he had transferred another gun to him less than a week ago. He claims that Pennsylvania law prohibits the transfer of more than one handgun per week. I corrected this for the guy who was buying the gun, and he called Drussia again. Drussia maintained that it was against the law in PA to transfer more than one handgun a week.

What a stooge. I would not do business there.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Jefferson County)

It's been quite awhile since I last hit that place. The shop keep was friendly enough and the layout was as Noah described.

Back when I had money to spare it was on my yearly weekend gunshop tour with my dad and uncle. We would hit him, then head over to Elk Co. Ammo & Arms in St. Marys, then down to DuBois, then Clearfield, then Philipsburg, then Altoona/Duncansville with a couple small shops in between, then Juniata Trading Post near Bedford, then Johnstown, then Punxy.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    It's been quite awhile since I last hit that place. The shop keep was friendly enough and the layout was as Noah described.

Back when I had money to spare it was on my yearly weekend gunshop tour with my dad and uncle. We would hit him, then head over to Elk Co. Ammo & Arms in St. Marys, then down to DuBois, then Clearfield, then Philipsburg, then Altoona/Duncansville with a couple small shops in between, then Juniata Trading Post near Bedford, then Johnstown, then Punxy.
    Just don't try to transfer more than one handgun a week there, as it's against PA law

Personally, I do business at places that understand the laws that they are operating under.

I'm not saying the guy isn't nice, it appears that he is. He even offered to keep the shop open a little longer sometime this week so they could do the transfer there. But to claim that it's illegal to transfer more than one handgun a week in PA, is idiotic.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Just don't try to transfer more than one handgun a week there, as it's against PA law

Personally, I do business at places that understand the laws that they are operating under.

I'm not saying the guy isn't nice, it appears that he is. He even offered to keep the shop open a little longer sometime this week so they could do the transfer there. But to claim that it's illegal to transfer more than one handgun a week in PA, is idiotic.
    No, not idiocy. It's just simple laziness. The owner doesn't like the hassle of having to complete the ATF Multiple Handgun Purchase form the same day that the sale or transfer takes place, per the form instructions. It either has to be mailed or faxed the same day to the ATF, and a copy sent to PSP/PICS. He doesn't want the hassle.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Washington County)

I used to stop there when it was open on my road trips that took me through there, always worth it. You never know what're going to find there. I did haggle with him one time on surplus AR mags and he cut me a deal.
    Last edited by JoshIronshaft; July 2nd, 2013 at 03:58 PM.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    No, not idiocy. It's just simple laziness. The owner doesn't like the hassle of having to complete the ATF Multiple Handgun Purchase form the same day that the sale or transfer takes place, per the form instructions. It either has to be mailed or faxed the same day to the ATF, and a copy sent to PSP/PICS. He doesn't want the hassle.

Noah
    Then that is what he should say. What he should not say, is that it is illegal to transfer more than one handgun a week.

(Bucks County)

we stop there as often as we can, I stopped last time I was up at our cabin to see if he had any 7.62X54R and he was gracious enough to open a brand new sardine can so I could buy a hundred rounds. nice guy and always friendly to us! in fact, i'll be there for the 4th for a few days so i'm sure i'll be stopping in again!

ETA - if you get a chance, stop and grab breakfast at the Pennsy. the homemade French toast FTW!!
    Last edited by 03SVTCobra; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:34 PM.