Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is CC'ing a semi-auto while deer hunting illegal in PA?

I'm from VA. I did some deer hunting in PA with my In-Laws at their hunting camp last week and I generally conceal carry my glock 19 while in PA. One of the guys at the hunting camp, who also carries a Ruger revolver while hunting, mentioned that the Game Commission might not like the fact that I'm carrying a semi-auto while hunting deer as it's illegal to hunt deer with a semi-auto in PA. He recommended I leave it at the camp while out hunting, which I did.

Does this sound correct? I certainly wasn't going to be shooting any deer with my Glock 19 when I had a rifle available.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Is CC'ing a semi-auto while deer hunting illegal in PA?

You're fine. From the PA Game Code:

Sec. 2525. Amended November 29, 2006, Act No. 162, Effective January 28, 2007.

Sec. 2525. Possession of firearm for protection of self or others.

(a) General rule.- It is lawful for a law enforcement officer or any person who possesses a valid license to carry a firearm issued under 18 Pa C.S. Section 6109 (relating to licenses) to be in possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm while engaged in any activity regulated by this title.

(b) Construction.

(1) This section shall supersede any prohibition on the possession of firearms or ammunition contained in any other provision of this title.

(2) This subsection shall not be construed to permit the hunting or harvesting of any wildlife with a firearm or ammunition not otherwise permitted by this title.

(c) Definitions. - As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Firearm." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).

"Law enforcement officer." As defined in 18 Pa C.S. §6102 (relating to definitions).

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by RSViper View Post
    I'm from VA. I did some deer hunting in PA with my In-Laws at their hunting camp last week and I generally conceal carry my glock 19 while in PA. One of the guys at the hunting camp, who also carries a Ruger revolver while hunting, mentioned that the Game Commission might not like the fact that I'm carrying a semi-auto while hunting deer as it's illegal to hunt deer with a semi-auto in PA. He recommended I leave it at the camp while out hunting, which I did.

Does this sound correct? I certainly wasn't going to be shooting any deer with my Glock 19 when I had a rifle available.
    The law was changed recently, as you can see by the post above.

Just remember, you can NOT use the semi-auto to take or put down a game animal. Make sure you have your license or permit or whatever VA calls it with you.

Thanks. I always carry my permit from VA with me while in PA. It wasn't a big deal, I was just curious.

(York County)

LOL I actually asked that question at my hunters safety ed course (moved here from another state had to take pa's) and the game commission guy did not know and was thrown off but was friendly about it and said wait one and made a phone call and came back with the code covering it and said its legal! He was very friendly...

(Mifflin County)

On the other hand you might want to think about the fact that if you don't kill the deer with 1 shot you would have to use another shot from that high powered rifle.
    Audaces fortuna juvat

(Delaware County)

I open carry my full size XD .45 when I deer hunt. You never know when one of those bastards will come right for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Bmaninmifco View Post
    On the other hand you might want to think about the fact that if you don't kill the deer with 1 shot you would have to use another shot from that high powered rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by .45 Principal View Post
    I open carry my full size XD .45 when I deer hunt. You never know when one of those bastards will come right for ya!
    WTF are you 2 talking about?

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    WTF are you 2 talking about?
    That's what I'm talking about he left the handgun at camp.
    I've shot deer and there's been times that my one shot with the .06 did not kill it.
    Audaces fortuna juvat

That's what I'm talking about he left the handgun at camp.
    I've shot deer and there's been times that my one shot with the .06 did not kill it.
    And???

My first deer, after moving back, took 3 .06 rounds...
    Please, tell me, you are not suggesting using a semi-pistol, to finish off game.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast