Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default O yes... another one...

Ok so i know this has been asked a million times, but i will be getting my permit really soon and i am stuck on the choices... Here's my list that i have compiled.

I want something small enough to conceal but just enough bang that it will cause some damage. So far i like the XD .40 SC

Springfield Armory XD .40 Sub Compact

Glock 19

Glock 26/27

Smith & Wesson M&P .45

S&W Sigma

Springfield XD-9

HK P2000SK

Instead of opinions since i've read a lot of threads before posting, let me hear some reasons why people chose what they did and why i should pick it as my first pistol.

P.S. i'm an avid shooter so recoil is not really too much of an issue

(Berks County)

Default Re: O yes... another one...

I chose the XD40 just because I wanted an XD and after holding the glocks they were just too big to fit in my hand. The XD40 is about the same size as the XD-9. Don't be afraid to get the regular 4" model. I can conceal the 4" without too much trouble. (Wearing a smaller shirt it prints a lot more than if i wear a bigger shirt since I'm a decent sized guy.) Main reason i didnt get the 40SC was i hated the magazine extensions. I want the pistol to fill out my hand just feels more comfortable that way.

The MP45 is bigger than the XDs so it may not be the easiest to conceal. It wasn't out when i was shopping otherwise i may have picked that up instead of my XD. I really like the MP line they shoot good and feel good in your hands since you can adjust the grip with the removable back straps.

The HK P2000SK is supposed to be a nice gun. I haven't seen one to shoot yet. I shot Ronin's USP 40 with the LEM trigger on it and its nice. (Basically the same gun.) Its probably the most expensive of everyone on your list, so if moneys not an issue go for it!

Those would be my 3 choices.
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 00gt1 View Post

Springfield Armory XD .40 Sub Compact

Glock 19

Glock 26/27

Smith & Wesson M&P .45

Springfield XD-9
    Choose from one of these. The trigger systems are superior to DAO, DA/SA and any variants thereof.

S&W Sigma
    While the sigma seems to be reliable, it is not worth the effort required to master its trigger system ......... just ask Skuggi.

HK P2000SK
    HK firearms are nice but customer support sucks.

(Philadelphia County)

I went with the G19 because of the superior trigger (very short reset) and ergonomics. Since there's no real difference between service calibers, a 9mm is just way cheaper to practice with.

The other advantage with the glock is commonly available replacement parts and tons of holster options.

(Philadelphia County)

Glock 26 all the way. Anything larger and you're just going to have to be overly fussy about the way you dress, who you bump into, bending over and things of that nature. Plenty of people carry a full-size every day, but I tell you it takes dedication. If you're only going to have 1 gun for a while, get the one you're most likely to carry every day. YMMV, but for me strapping on a full-size is a bit of a chore, but grabbing the G26 is about on the same level as throwing my wallet in my pocket.

The G26 is the sweetest shooting subcompact Ive ever fired. Inside 10-12 yards, it doesnt give anything up to the G19. I actually shoot it better (tighter groups when when dumping a clip) at close ranges. It's something about the way the pinky finger can rest under the grip...

Forget about the Glock 27. There's no reason to own a 40 caliber, especially in that size of gun. It's the most unforgiving of the big 3 pistol cartridges in terms of shootability, and in 3 years of reading about guns Ive yet to see any kind of proof that it's more of a man-killer than the 9mm. Plus it's expensive.

although i know this post is a waste because everyone is scurred of the 10mms power and awesomeness, i always have to plug my baby, the glock 29... its not super small, but a tad smaller then my 4inch xd45, fits me like a glove get the pierce finger extensions and your set.. the 10mm is an amazing round IMO its the best semi auto defense caliber that is available from a reliable proven company such as glock(the 44 auto mag isnt exact a ccw piece), and the only one that can be used to hunt with.. the ballistics should speak for themselves, but it has never caught on as a mainstream caliber

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    although i know this post is a waste because everyone is scurred of the 10mms power and awesomeness...
    Not scared of the power and awesomeness, scarred of the price of ammo, blazer is over $350/1000, compare that to $125/1000 for 9mm. How inclined are you going to be to train if it costs you $50 in ammo for a very modest training session?
    Last edited by MarcS; August 1st, 2007 at 04:25 AM.

(Adams County)

I have to say the XD but I would go with 9mm. You can always carry +P loads. I don't see the point of .40. I know a lot of people like them, but I don't think there needs to be a stop gap between 9mm and 45ACP.

.40 has alway seemed like 45GAP, the answer to the question that nobody was asking. It just doesn't get made fun of as much as GAP.

9mm is cheap to practice with, and you can still carry hotter loads.

As far as the Sub-compact, that's what I carry. I wanted the shorter grip for concealment. A lot of guys bought the 4" model and cut the grip down to the subcompact size so you get the best of both worlds. If you search for "grip chop" at www.xdtalk.com you can see some pictures and a few tutorials.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Cambria County)

I went with the XD 9mm. I loved the safeties built into this pistol. Yet, to shoot it all I have to do is pick it up point and squeeze the trigger. It took me a while to get use to this. Was use to having to flip off the safety on my old 45. I like the way I can tell by feel if the chamber is loaded or not (a littel button pops up on top of the slide when a round is chambered. You don't have to cycle the slide any to look inside and see if any rounds are in the barrel). The trigger pull seemed a bit long when playing with it in the store. But once it came down to shooting it. I loved the trigger. I don't shoot as good as this gun does. I haven't had a jam up with it yet. Recoil isn't a a problem with the 9mm and ammo is a lot cheaper, which means you can get out and shoot a lot more.

Article from a Self Defense School, can't remember which one.

Which is a better cartridge, 45 Cal., 40 Cal., or 9 mm?
    If forced to shoot solid ball ammo, as military personnel are required to do, then the larger the caliber bullet the better. However, if using the best modern hollow points, then thousands of actual shootings (not gelatin tests), compiled by the F.B.I., show that there are only a few percentage points difference between these cartridges. So, obviously, other factors become far more important than which caliber bullet you are shooting, such as: size and weight of the weapon, your magazine capacity, ergonomics of the weapon that either allow you to rapidly engage multiple opponents or restrict such movement, etc.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; August 1st, 2007 at 07:38 AM.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Berks County)

I have both an XD SC .40 and an HK P2000 .40. While in my opinion the HK is a better pistol, it is not worhth the extra money. You could almost buy two XDs for the price of the HK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast