Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Safariland ALS vs SLS?

I'm looking for a good tactical holster (1911) to go with my bug out gear (including a vest, hence my wish for a thigh holster). I've been doing some research and the general consenus is that the Safariland holsters are a bit more reliable than SERPA's (I like the SERPA's dual drop straps, but if the mechanism jams, I might as well be carrying a 2lb brick in my hip pocket). My question though, can anyone recommend between the ALS series and the SLS series? Since this would be a secondary weapon to a rifle or shotgun, my big area of interest is in retention. I may also be using this holster if I'm part of the 30,000 troop "cure" for Afghanistan. Thanks guys!

Default Re: Safariland ALS vs SLS?

I have a 6280, which uses the SLS, for my Sig 220. It's built like a tank & has good retention. I looked at & tried the ALS system before buying this one. I thought the SLS would be much easier to use under a wider variety of conditions (like light gloves, cold hands, etc.)

I'm no expert, but either of the Safariland systems look to me like they'd be just as sensitive to sand/grit as the Serpa. I don't want to be the one to give you bad info for something as important as this, so maybe somebody who has actual experience in the "sand box" will come along shortly.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell