Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Bucks Co. LTCF holders, applicants, and Resident Aliens, I need your help.

Went to Doylestown last December to get my LTCF. Never saw the Sheriff; Sgt. Kirkpatrick (http://www.buckscounty.org/news/2005/2005-11-01.aspx (the guy in the background)) handled my application. Didn't say much at all and never proffered advice or information about carrying. I did pick up the little booklet that was there, though.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bucks Co. LTCF holders, applicants, and Resident Aliens, I need your help.

I forgot about this:

Quote Originally Posted by buckscounty.org
    Notice: Effective May 9, 2006 an additional charge of $6.00 will be added to the cost of a new, or renewal of, your firearms permit per the State of Pennsylvania Act #66
    $19+$5+$1+$6=$31

I still don't understand how they're arriving at $46, $21, or $29.

ETA:
    OK, so $21 seems to be just an arbitrary amount they picked as the price the DL-type plastic card. Does the plastic card actually cost $21?

Quote Originally Posted by buckscounty.org, 2005
    The fee for the new license is $40. Paper permits will continue to be available for $19, but must include two identical color photographs. Applicants can purchase photographs at the sheriff offices for $10. Current license holders can upgrade to the new card for a $21 fee
    It appears that $29 comes from $19 for the licensing fee, plus $10 for photos. The licensing fee specified by the UFA, plus the additional fees specified by the UFA, plus the $6 charge added in '06 equals $31.

How the hell are they figuring the prices?

I've heard several different prices from other counties. Is any county charging the correct amount?
    Last edited by unloved; December 4th, 2009 at 03:03 AM.

Re: the paper permit -- it's $29 PLUS $10 for photographs, or $39 total. I brought passport photos with me and was told they wouldn't work, so by the time I spent $39 for the paper permit, I might as well just shell out the extra $7 for the plastic card.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    OK, so $21 seems to be just an arbitrary amount they picked as the price the DL-type plastic card. Does the plastic card actually cost $21?
    Plastic is $46. I knew about the paper version, but I thought it was phased out. Was never given the option of having a paper license.

(Allegheny County)

* If applicant is a permanent resident alien or a resident alien, they must submit alien registration card (original), 90 days proof of residency (immediately prior utility bills, credit card statements, bank statements, pay stubs with current address, or health insurance statements). Also, resident aliens must provide a valid hunting license.
    This is incorrect on several counts.

1. permanent resident alien and resident alien are the same thing. (resident alien, permanent resident alien, green card holder, legal resident alien, immigrant alien, legal permanent resident all mean the same thing)
    2. it excludes by ommission non-immigrant aliens who are allowed to get an LTCF (only illegal aliens are specifically excluded in the UFA) - although they need to meet an exemption for possesion of a firearm (NFA)
    3. all aliens (resident and non-immigrant) need to provide proof of status and residency. This is a NICS (NFA) requirement. This means green card (resident alien) or visa (non-immigrant alien) for status, and 90 days worth of utility bills for residency. (actually I'm not 100% on this. I know its correct for non-immigrant, but not 100% on if its needed to immigrant. According to the ATF it is, but I'd need to check the NFA to be sure)
    4. Only non-immigrant aliens need to show proof that they are exempt from the NFA ban on non-immigrant aliens purchasing/possesing firearms. The most common valid exemptions are: state issued hunting or firearms licence (note, this can be from ANY state to meet the NFA exemption criteria) or waiver from the US AG. There are other exemptions regarding certain foreign diplomats/government/LEOs, sporting competitors and trade shows.
    Last edited by R.Thompson; December 4th, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
    [IANAL]It's not about guns, its about effective self defense.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I forgot about this:

$19+$5+$1+$6=$31

I still don't understand how they're arriving at $46, $21, or $29.

ETA:

It appears that $29 comes from $19 for the licensing fee, plus $10 for photos. The licensing fee specified by the UFA, plus the additional fees specified by the UFA, plus the $6 charge added in '06 equals $31.

How the hell are they figuring the prices?

I've heard several different prices from other counties. Is any county charging the correct amount?
    $19 + $6 (May 09 fee) = $25 + $10 (pictures) = $35.
    $19 + $6 (May 09 fee) = $25 + $21 (plastic upgrade)= $46...are pictures included in the upgrade fee?

Are there counties charging correct fee? Yes...there are some that charge $25 for the license...weather it be paper or plastic or has pictures.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Plastic is $46.
    I know. $46 is what I paid for my last two licenses. The quote I took from the link you posted says that the paper license costs $19, and we may upgrade to the plastic card for $21.

Honestly, I don't think that $46 is unreasonable. I don't mind paying more for the plastic card. I hated the paper license. However, the licensing fee is spelled out in the UFA, and I don't see how a Sheriff has any legitimate authority to charge anything other than the fee specified by the statute.
    I understand that there is a cost for the card itself, but is that cost $21?

Also, none of the numbers seem to add up. It's as if they're just pulling prices out of the air. That disturbs me.

(Bucks County)

Para (4) of the fees statute:

(4) No fee other than that provided by this subsection or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the performance of any background check made pursuant to this act.
    I guess the question is can he charge extra for the plastic card and pictures?

(Philadelphia County)

Well, that link is from 2005...I'm sure fees, surcharges, taxes, levies, tariffs, service charges, processing costs, and adjustments have been made since then.

EDIT:
    From http://www.buckscounty.org/news/2005/2005-11-01.aspx

The fee for the new license is $40. Paper permits will continue to be available for $19, but must include two identical color photographs. Applicants can purchase photographs at the sheriff offices for $10. Current license holders can upgrade to the new card for a $21 fee.
    From http://www.buckscounty.org/governmen...onsPermit.aspx

Notice: Effective May 9, 2006 an additional charge of $6.00 will be added to the cost of a new, or renewal of, your firearms permit per the State of Pennsylvania Act #66
    So what the hell is the $6?
    Last edited by H.E. Pennypacker; December 4th, 2009 at 12:23 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    So what the hell is the $6?
    I don't know. I do remember that there was a kerfluffle regarding that $6 in Philly not too long ago. They 'forgot' to charge it, and sent notices to licensees informing them that they must pay or face revocation.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast