Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Bucks Co. members, I need your help. UPDATE: Please see post #1

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    From everything that I've seen and heard, Sheriff Donnelly is a respectful friend of the law abiding citizens of Bucks County, including the law abiding gun-owning community and even the Title II faction.
    I've gotten the same impression.

If mistakes are being made in some of the details by the Sheriff's office, or by 1 or 2 employees there,
    It seems to me that there is one employee who is misinforming people. I may be incorrect, but based on the accounts posted here, and conversations I've had with a few people, that's what it looks like to me.

it's certainly appropriate to point them out in a civil and respectful manner. Please draft any letter with the assumption that Donnelly is a good guy and a friend, and try not to alienate one of the few Sheriffs in the region who respect our rights. (I'm not saying that you were about to do anything rash, I'm just making a point to get my opinion in before the envelope is sealed and mailed.)
    I intend to be civil, amiable, and respectful in my communication. I'm going to post my letter for comment and stylistic suggestions before I mail anything. Overall, I'm quite happy with Sheriff Donnelly's handling of LTCFs, and I don't want to alienate him at all.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I think he can, kind of. For the plastic card, he's not charging more for licensing, he's charging more for the card itself.
    For me, the question then becomes, does the plastic card cost $21? If other counties are charging $25 for licensing and the plastic card, then the answer is no.

I think that charging $10 for the special pictures he requires, if you get a paper license, is absolutely inappropriate.
    I work for a company that produces plastic cards. If they are paying more than a nickel each for the card itself, they are getting taken to the cleaners. The cost for the sheriff to produce the plastic license can't be more than a buck or two each. That includes the cost of the card and all of the supplies required to print the card. Beaver County charges $25 for the plastic card.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    I work for a company that produces plastic cards. If they are paying more than a nickel each for the card itself, they are getting taken to the cleaners. The cost for the sheriff to produce the plastic license can't be more than a buck or two each. That includes the cost of the card and all of the supplies required to print the card. Beaver County charges $25 for the plastic card.
    Thanks for the info. I think that at this point, I'm not going to address the price issue. I'm much more concerned with the fact that someone who should know better is misinforming licensees. Maybe I'll bring it up after I've opened a dialogue with Sheriff Donnelly, if I can figure out what the appropriate price is. Honestly, I'm rather confused about that.

(Bucks County)

Just saw this thread and haven't read the whole 11 pages but will report on your origional request.

When I went to the Government Services Building on New Falls Road, I dealt with an older woman with a snotty attitude. She told me I could not carry anyone's pistol but mine, had to be concealed and when I asked for anything in writing, she said there wasn't anything in print. She was laying down the law to me whether I wanted to hear it or not.
    I was asking for printed information on just when I could legally protect myself but she couldn't help me.
    Hope this helps. If +rep is those little green things in the upper right, I could use a whole bunch...thanks.

Mike45

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post
    Just saw this thread and haven't read the whole 11 pages but will report on your origional request.

When I went to the Government Services Building on New Falls Road, I dealt with an older woman with a snotty attitude. She told me I could not carry anyone's pistol but mine, had to be concealed and when I asked for anything in writing, she said there wasn't anything in print. She was laying down the law to me whether I wanted to hear it or not.
    I was asking for printed information on just when I could legally protect myself but she couldn't help me.
    Hope this helps. If +rep is those little green things in the upper right, I could use a whole bunch...thanks.

Mike45

I go into that office monthly to pick something up. The two women that help you are not from the sheriff's office, so don't listen to them, They don't have the best personalities, but normally are very helpful.

If you want to legally protect yourself, do a little research of the laws. Lots of information on this site.
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Bucks County)

I don't know if my story will be benificial to you or not but here it is.

I applied for my LTCF on 1-15-2010 and received my license the same day. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of officer who helped me but it was an older man. I was actually a little suprised at how little he said to me. Pretty much the only words said to me were "I need $46", "Follow me" when I was taken to the back to have my picture taken, and "Your license will print out in just a minute" after my picture was taken. And I do mean quite literally that these are the only words I can remember being spoke to me, he didn't even say when the picture was going to be taken or anything.

I received nothing other than my license, no literature, information or anything.

I hope this was beneficial to you in some way.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by nilsirl View Post
    I don't know if my story will be benificial to you or not but here it is.

I applied for my LTCF on 1-15-2010 and received my license the same day. Unfortunately I do not remember the name of officer who helped me but it was an older man. I was actually a little suprised at how little he said to me. Pretty much the only words said to me were "I need $46", "Follow me" when I was taken to the back to have my picture taken, and "Your license will print out in just a minute" after my picture was taken. And I do mean quite literally that these are the only words I can remember being spoke to me, he didn't even say when the picture was going to be taken or anything.

I received nothing other than my license, no literature, information or anything.
    Good, I'm glad you didn't have any problems. That's how it should go for everyone.

I hope this was beneficial to you in some way.
    Sure was. It reinforces my impression that there is just one employee who the Sheriff needs to have a talk with. Thank you.

Its been about a year since I renewed at the Levittown office. Nothing was said to me but "have a nice day" das
    [SIGPIC]

(Monroe County)

(Bucks County)

Went to the Levittown (Gov't Services) office this morning to apply.

Noticed a very prominent "NO FIREARMS" sign on the front door, complete with a picture of a revolver with the standard red-circle-with-a-slash over it.

Was greeted by a polite-but-gruff receptionist/desk clerk.. I told her what I was there for, and she directed me to fill out the form on the desk. I had a form already completed, which surprised her, but she immediately went and started entering the data in the computer, and asked me to have a seat for a few.

We chatted a little bit about where I live, she was asking about the apartment complex. She got more pleasant to talk to after a few minutes.

She did what she had to do on the computer, took my picture (after a few tries.. she said I looked "yellow," I told her I felt fine, but the joke was lost on her.)

She asked for the $46 in cash, which I handed over to her. Only other thing she said was that I will get a call in about 10 days that my "permit" is ready for pickup. She made a point of telling me... "they will not say 'gun permit' on the phone, just 'permit'." Which I thought was interesting.. not sure of the reasoning for that.

Anyway, it was an incredibly painless, easy process. Other than the clerk being a little gruff to start out (not surprised), she was very helpful and quick.

I will update if I get more "information" from them when I pick up the LTCF.

Chris

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast