Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: .17 HMR

(Westmoreland County)

Default .17 HMR

I had a opportunity to shoot a .17 HMR rifle over the weekend. What a juicy little round! Defiantly more bang than a .22 but not as much as a traditional .22 mag round. It is perfect for groundhogs and other varmints...it might be a little hot for squirrel and chipmunks, but hey! What's a little overkill?

Anyone else own or test drive a .17 yet?
    Last edited by RocketFoot; July 30th, 2007 at 01:49 PM.

(Wayne County)

Talking Re: .17 HMR

I have a Savage in 17 HMR I have taken squirrels and crows out to 200 yards with no problems. I would like to get one of the new sweet 17 scopes but I can only find them in blue or black and the rifle is stainless

(Berks County)

Default Re: .17 HMR

I just bought a Marlin bolt action in .17 Mach 2. The Mach 2 is not quite as flat as the HMR and does not have the same muzzle velocity, but it is about half the price per round.

I love the thing. The rifle was less then $200 new and is more accurate then anything else I have shot. I've only shot it out to 100 yards so far.

I tried CCI, Hornady and Eley ammo. The CCI and Horady produced consistant tight groups, but the Eley was all over the place.

(Lebanon County)

I got a savage arms .17hmr myself, and I defiantly like it's accuracy. You can easily hit field mice at 100 yards using it. I only just wish I could go hunting for varmints like you guys get to.

(Northumberland County)

my dad got a marlin 917 w/ the heavy barrel,+ the sweet 17 scope.

i tried it out and put 7 rnds in about .5" at 75 yd.

so then i had to go out and get one for myself.

i had MUCH trouble trying to sight it in, but after purchacing a pair of burris windage adj. rings for grooved receiver it came in just fine

does NOT fare well when cross winds are introduced though. mine goes from .5" to about 2.5" at 100yd when cw gets above about 5mph

(Potter County)

I bought a Savage .17HMR a few months ago....very accurate.Friends that have fired it were impressed.

A while back I took a cartridge to work and showed some nurses & aides,several women actually thought it was a "cute little bullet".
    TRM