Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

(Allegheny County)

Default Is this normal?

i noticed on a video from someone that i subscribe to on youtube that he was wearing a right handed holster on the left side of his body with the butt of the gun facing forward, reaching across his body when he draws! is thios normal? maybe old school? i'm new at firearms so thought i'd ask.
    colin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO0duA1zHFc&feature=sub

(York County)

Default Re: Is this normal?

It's called "crossdraw". Not unheard of. I have a crossdraw holster.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Its a preference thing. Also, keep in mind that many shoulder holsters are set up this way (on the left side, grip facing front).
    Just because 'perfect' is impossible does not mean we should settle for 'broken'.

(Allegheny County)

although crossdraw does have specific applications (such as carrying in a car), you will find that most people who are serious about training to use a pistol in self-defense generally frown upon it.

crossdraw is slower, telegraphs much more that you are going to draw, causes you to turn the gun toward--rather than away from--a contact distance threat if you blade your body and defend yourself with your support hand, makes retention harder, and causes you to cover all kinds of things with the muzzle you do not intend to shoot (thus forcing you to break one of the fundamental laws of firearms safety).

imho, other than in a car, crossdraw is a bad idea. but that is just my two cents.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Thanks everyone that replied, all clear now.
    colin

(Delaware County)

NORMAL is a setting on my wifes clothes washer.......... that's the only normal I know of.

George
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
    NORMAL is a setting on my wifes clothes washer.......... that's the only normal I know of.

George
    Very nice. I think I'll claim that as my own quote one of these days.

(Montgomery County)

I generally wear my revolver cross draw, but I do spend a lot of time driving, and also on my motorcycle. I strong side holster wouldn't work very well with the way I sit on the bike. It's no perfect solution, but it does make things more convenient so I can't think of a reason not to carry (1st rule of a gun fight). Make sure you get the right holster for YOU, and train with it. If you train right and train often, you can deploy from a cross draw with minimal muzzle sweep (keep it pointed down), but it does take longer.

(Allegheny County)

I think as long as you're comfortable and proficient drawing, who cares how you carry? There are guys that ankle carry, small of back carry, pocket carry, and deep cover carry on the stomach. Are these guys all wrong? Yes, according to the "elite", you must carry strong side, group. IMHO, I say fine, thanks for your advice and warning, I'll do it my way.
    (no offense meant to anyone on this forum ).
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I think as long as you're comfortable and proficient drawing, who cares how you carry?
    i don't care how one carries...as long as i am not standing behind/beside them when they draw if carrying crossdraw, at least.

Are these guys all wrong? Yes, according to the "elite", you must carry strong side, group.
    has nothing to do with "elite" or how one "must carry", but the truth is that there are some objective points regarding pros and cons of different methods of carrying...and those are certainly worth debating.

i have laid out some objective points against crossdraw...and one objective point supporting crossdraw in a specific situation (ease of draw while in a car).

it would, imho, be more constructive to counter my points or at least bring up other objective points rather than taking the approach of "don't bother trying to learn anything, just do whatever you feel like doing without any consideration for the pros and cons".

the fact that the training community (people who have given much consideration to the pros and cons of various methods of carry--including by testing them) overwhelmingly favors strong side or appendix carry also really does count for something, though. (btw, i am not talking about me by the "training community"...i am talking about people who do this stuff for a living.)

just my two cents.
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast