Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Thumbs down Target-shooter loses appeal to keep guns (Ireland)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...259803866.html

Target-shooter loses appeal to keep guns

OLIVIA KELLEHER

A TARGET-SHOOTER, who claimed a Garda decision to refuse him licences for six high-powered competition handguns was like asking Pádraig Harrington to tee off in the US Masters with a hurley, yesterday lost an appeal of his case at Cork District Court.

Patrick Herlihy, who lives in the Carrigaline area of Co Cork, held licences for the weapons for four years. However, tightening up of firearms legislation earlier this year led to the refusal in October by gardaí in Cork to renew his licences for the Sig Sauer pistols and Smith and Wesson revolvers.

The appeal was effectively a test case for Irish gun owners who face losing handguns under Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern’s new crackdown on gun licences.

The Firearms Act enacted last August effectively banned all handguns and short-barrelled weapons with the exception of Olympic competition .22 calibre guns.

Mr Herlihy who is a member of the Shooting Sports Association of Ireland told Judge David Riordan last month that he needed all six guns to compete in various World Association 1500 precision pistol competitions.

He said he could not understand how the Garda Síochána had granted him licences for firearms for four years, but now suddenly regarded the weapons as a threat to society.

The court heard the weapons are always disassembled and locked away in safes when they are not in use.

Chief Supt Michael Finn, who turned down Mr Herlihy’s application for the firearms said his decision not to grant the licence was not in any way related to the applicant himself but arose out of a legislative change. He said public safety was paramount and that it was not in the interest of society to have such weapons in the hands of non-military or police personnel.

Meanwhile, ballistics expert, Det Insp Kevin Brooks, said the firearms for which Mr Herlihy applied for a licence for were of the type used by German and Dutch police as well as members of an Garda Síochána. He said the firearms were primarily associated with military and police use and were for “practical shooting.” He added the weapons were “combat” in nature and could cause devastation if they got in to the wrong hands.

Judge Riordan described Mr Herlihy as being a man of “exemplary character” but said that the legislative intent was to tighten the control on firearms.

He refused Mr Herlihy’s appeal application paying regard to the lethal nature of the weapons and the change in firearms legislation.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Target-shooter loses appeal to keep guns (Ireland)

Damn. That brings it out clear. I feel terrible for this guy and those over there sometimes.

Time to shine up the Sigs and send the family off in different directions... and whistle the Battle Hymn of the Republic while you and the dog have a last conversation about how some things are THAT important.
    F*S=k

(Northampton County)

Chief Supt Michael Finn
    It's not wonder I disowned that side of my family. He may be one of my relatives.

(Montgomery County)

Good the people over there get what they deserve. I don't feel bad for this guy nor the guy going to jail for turning the guns in. They brought this on thereselves by even registering thier firearms let alone allowing the pansies to even think they could get away with any regulations that took guns away for any person not a violent felon. If that happens here we deserve it to. We've allowed these clowns to make us get a licence to carry when the pa consititution says we don't need one and the government cannot ever make any gun laws! We are still dragging our feet. I don't even do enough. If they come for them we all deserve it. We let this happen and while we've Ben making two steps forward and one step back motions lately they are poised to charge us at any moment. We've got to be more active in getting rid of the stolen gun laws, park rules, gun free easy murder zones, and the illegal licence to carry law not to mention the illegal ban on machine guns and background checks. oh yeah illegal age restrictions considering the us code indicates that all males from 17-44 are part of the militia. Boy we've really let them steam roll us over the years. Thier next push isn't going to leave much left if we do push them all the way back to how it was pre-1800!

(Berks County)

So what? I blame the target shooter. It's HIS FAULT that he is being disarmed. I would be willing to bet that this guy is the type that always says "people shouldn't own assault weapons, they hold no purpose. People shouldn't need semi-autos, they hold no purpose. People shouldn't own Glocks, XDs, 1911s, etc etc etc, they hold no purpose." He felt safe knowing that the government would uphold HIS rights to own his precision target competition pistols, because, to him, they're not firearms or weapons. He would NEVER be targeted by a ban.

Screw him, and screw Ireland. Wallow in it, you pigs, you deserve it.

(Montgomery County)

I can't necessarily say it's his fault for registering the guns. It says in the article that "Mr Herlihy who is a member of the Shooting Sports Association of Ireland told Judge David Riordan last month that he needed all six guns to compete in various World Association 1500 precision pistol competitions."

I assume that means he travels to other countries. So I doubt he'd get unregistered guns in and out of Ireland without getting caught.
    The right to bear arms isn't for hunting bear. Subliminal Messages

(Somerset County)

And we still have politicians and citizens who want to immulate Europe .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fetus View Post
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...259803866.html

Target-shooter loses appeal to keep guns

OLIVIA KELLEHER

A TARGET-SHOOTER, who claimed a Garda decision to refuse him licences for six high-powered competition handguns was like asking Pádraig Harrington to tee off in the US Masters with a hurley, yesterday lost an appeal of his case at Cork District Court.

Patrick Herlihy, who lives in the Carrigaline area of Co Cork, held licences for the weapons for four years. However, tightening up of firearms legislation earlier this year led to the refusal in October by gardaí in Cork to renew his licences for the Sig Sauer pistols and Smith and Wesson revolvers.

The appeal was effectively a test case for Irish gun owners who face losing handguns under Minister for Justice Dermot Ahern’s new crackdown on gun licences.

The Firearms Act enacted last August effectively banned all handguns and short-barrelled weapons with the exception of Olympic competition .22 calibre guns.

Mr Herlihy who is a member of the Shooting Sports Association of Ireland told Judge David Riordan last month that he needed all six guns to compete in various World Association 1500 precision pistol competitions.

He said he could not understand how the Garda Síochána had granted him licences for firearms for four years, but now suddenly regarded the weapons as a threat to society.

The court heard the weapons are always disassembled and locked away in safes when they are not in use.

Chief Supt Michael Finn, who turned down Mr Herlihy’s application for the firearms said his decision not to grant the licence was not in any way related to the applicant himself but arose out of a legislative change. He said public safety was paramount and that it was not in the interest of society to have such weapons in the hands of non-military or police personnel.

Meanwhile, ballistics expert, Det Insp Kevin Brooks, said the firearms for which Mr Herlihy applied for a licence for were of the type used by German and Dutch police as well as members of an Garda Síochána. He said the firearms were primarily associated with military and police use and were for “practical shooting.” He added the weapons were “combat” in nature and could cause devastation if they got in to the wrong hands.

Judge Riordan described Mr Herlihy as being a man of “exemplary character” but said that the legislative intent was to tighten the control on firearms.

He refused Mr Herlihy’s appeal application paying regard to the lethal nature of the weapons and the change in firearms legislation.
    Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    So what? I blame the target shooter. It's HIS FAULT that he is being disarmed. I would be willing to bet that this guy is the type that always says "people shouldn't own assault weapons, they hold no purpose. People shouldn't need semi-autos, they hold no purpose. People shouldn't own Glocks, XDs, 1911s, etc etc etc, they hold no purpose." He felt safe knowing that the government would uphold HIS rights to own his precision target competition pistols, because, to him, they're not firearms or weapons. He would NEVER be targeted by a ban.

(Except for snobbery) I doubt that if the guy is competing with Sigs, he would be particularly against Glocks or 1911s.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by -JD- View Post
    (Except for snobbery) I doubt that if the guy is competing with Sigs, he would be particularly against Glocks or 1911s.
    You know what I mean. This guy should be a lesson to the many in our country that say similar things. The Zumbos and people who publicy decry that certain guns have no purpose, and they have no problem with them being banned. Sooner or later, they WILL get around to you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post

I believe it. It goes on here and these are the same folks that will be screaming when their firearms are collected. It happened in Maryland in 1977, when the gun grabbers wanted to ban the so called Saturday Night Specials. These are the same gun owners that sat back and said GOOD them saturday night specials have no good use and only thugs used them! I heard this most of the time from other gun owners back then, I was up in arms with those that would not stand up for all gun owners. But when the gun grabbers came after their firearms they screamed, but by then it was to late. Now Maryland gun owners that are left will never get all their rights back. Most there still don't get it. That's another reason I'm here, and still fighting to keep our rights. Even when it comes to hunting without firearm restrictions. Restrictions open up the doors for BANS!
    Last edited by NightRocker; December 1st, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
    3%er "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.." -G. K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast