Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Kel Tec SU-16 opinions?

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has handled (or owns) a Kel Tec SU-16? It looks like I can get one somewhere around $500 give or take. I found some "vanilla" reviews which were all positive. I had a Kel Tec P-11 pistol & the thing would have lots of FTE & FTF's every mag. I never put much time trying to correct it because I got a good trade in value on a real nice pistol.

Anyway, the main purpose for this gun would be just "fun" target shooting & doing the 3-gun shoots.

However, for the same price (or less) I could get an AK-47 (around $400 for a WASR) or a SKS. A buddy picked up a WASR for $429 and after adjusting the crooked front sight, it was real good out to 100 yards!

I like the fact that the SU-16 takes standard AR mags and the "D" model you can shoot with the stock folded and 5.56 & .223 ammo is now pretty available. The SU-16 is also piston driven & seems to be reliable.

What do you guys think??

Thanks!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Kel Tec SU-16 opinions?

I also was really looking at the SU-16 ("C" model, which can also fire when folded) before I came across some extra cash and went AR. If you go to Kel-Tec's website, there's a link to their owners' forum, and there's a lot of info there on the SU-16s. I think I'd still like to pick one up someday as a survival rifle...something to just stash in my pickup and forget about until I need it. It is really nice in that it takes AR mags, and you can also get a pistol grip for it which will take a standard AR telescopic stock. I'm really not sure how the'd hold up to 3 gun competitions, but the folks at the Kel-Tec forum speak pretty highly of them, overall. Good luck if you go that route, and keep us posted!

(Monroe County)

I would say to jump on it if it's not abused and try for a little under five. I know you said the AK is close in price and they have been used in three gun but generally you will be faster firing the 5.56 as compared to the 7.62 and time counts. That being said my only defensive rifle are AK's so it's not that I have any biase against them.

However, the only excpierience I have with Keltec is with their pistols which have been one hundred percent for me. The KTOG.org forum speaks highly of them and the company does have the best customer service I have every had to deal with.

(Allegheny County)

I had an SU-16c . neat toy. I swapped out the stock extractor (some parts interchange with AR's) and with a D-ring it ran alright. Before that it would have issues extracting steel cased ammo.

Its a toy.

for a little more you can have an AR.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post

for a little more you can have an AR.
    I've been thinking the same thing, but the SU-16 is piston operated, so all of the crud doesn't go through a gas tube & back into the chamber....all the crap goes out the end of the barrel!

I know I could get a flat top S&W MP-15 for around $850....but I sure could buy a lot of ammo for that extra $300 or so (or buy dies for reloading the .223)!

Again, I'd only be using this for the 3-gun. I have a bunch of other toys in the closet for range work. Since I carry, I spend 99% of the time I do get at the range with my pistols. It looked like an interesting weapon, mimiking the AR for the most part, but with a piston.

Thanks for the replies!

(Allegheny County)

It is not more reliable or more robust then a DI AR.

I came real close to getting one awhile back, I like the fact that it's a little on the unique side. But I couldn't get over the cost, To me it's a $300 gun at best, For $500 plus asking price I can build an AR. But hey, If you like it..Get it.

I have several Kel-Tec pistols and like them all, Maybe someday I'll find one cheap enough to buy and as everyone said, They seem to get good reviews.

TJB
    Recoil Happens

(York County)

Kel Tec rates these guns for a lifespan of 6000 rounds. I love the one I have, and it is fun to shoot. Light enough to let my friends kids(11 & 12) target practice with it. I have had no functional problems with it. The only problem I did have was during a shooting day, a screw on the side came out, also, one of the two mags it came with does not like sliding in or out, and is quite a pain to use. So, I'd say they aren't the most well made firearms, but they are fun. I also like that it's 223, and takes the standard mags.

I had a SU-16A which I sold to fund a 6920. I didn't want to sell it, but at the time the 6920 was a good price and hard to find so the Kel-Tec went.

The SU-16 was way more accurate than my AR, it was lighter, and had the fun/unique factor. Sure, its mostly polymer and ain't some battle tested mil-spec thing but it was plenty durable for having fun at the range. I will be buying another eventually, I think Kel-Tec makes great products.

They sell the AR stock adapter kit with or without a stock: http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/pro...roducts_id=234

The "Charlie" stock is also an option: http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/pro...roducts_id=177

The compact forend is also available if you don't like the flimsy handguard/bipod thin: http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/pro...roducts_id=177

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    It is not more reliable or more robust then a DI AR.
    I will agree with you on that, for sure.....I just think that the piston would shoot "cleaner" than a standard AR.

I'm mostly looking at it as a cost to useage perspective....

I'm not a "bullseye" shooter (I don't think I'm capable), simply target shoot for fun...

It'll have limited useage (I think the 3-gun shoots are only once per month)..

I have enough other "SHTF" weapons for HD.......

I don't think I could find an AR for the same price (although I do have all winter to do so!). I wouldn't mind building my own, but still $$$ comes into play considering the VERY limited useage it'll see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast